Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2023, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 23,995 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm considering a move from Florida to Corvallis and I'm seeking feedback, specifically related to crime & homelessness. I visited Western Washington last year and was considering moving there but I have real reservations about it due to the much higher rates of property crime (relative to where I currently live). Specifically, the issue of car break-ins at trailheads concerns me because a big part of what draws me to the PNW is the stunning natural beauty and I want to be able to get out and enjoy it. So, I've now identified Corvallis as my top choice!

Crime data for the city of Corvallis looks pretty good and is on par with where I currently live, so I'm wondering more about crime in parks and at popular hiking/biking locations in the vicinity. The lifestyle I envision involves cycling around downtown and on area trails, visiting national & state parks, hiking trails, etc., as well as occasional trips to Portland/Eugene/the coast on the weekends.

I'm looking to gain some perspective and insights from folks who live in the area to try to understand whether the threat of crime is significant enough that I should reconsider relocating to the area, or if it's not serious enough to prevent me from living the lifestyle that I'd like to live. Also, I'm wondering if homelessness is a major problem in the area. I'm sure there's homelessness, as there is everywhere, but is it prevalent enough that folks avoid hanging out downtown with their kids, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 01:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
My sister lives outside of Corvallis and my family has been in the area for generations. I don't know of anyone who feels unsafe taking their children to downtown Corvallis, but things have changed all over the West Coast in recent years. Corvallis doesn't seem to have quite the issues with homeless as larger cities, but there are still problems with homeless camps in public spaces.

Corvallis is pretty bike-friendly so you should have no problems with that.

Unfortunately, trailheads and parks are targeted by thieves looking for easy stuff to steal. Someone recently broke my window for a roll of paper towels, so it doesn't take much incentive. Central Park in Corvallis has gotten sketchy, which is a shame because it's kind of a community landmark. I would go there for events and with a group during the daytime but not otherwise.

A lot of local farms are open to the pubic and have family-friendly activities, which is where I would look for outdoor recreation with kids these days. Edit: OSU has activities/programs for children as well.

Car break-ins are huge at the coast, especially during tourist season.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:19 PM

12 posts, read 23,995 times
Thanks Metlakatla - I appreciate the info!

Old 04-10-2023, 08:30 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
I agree with Met. I don't think people feel unsafe in Corvallis. Homelessness has hit all of our cities, so you do need to have some ability to be around them and feel safe. Most of the trails are busy in the immediate vicinity of Corvallis as are many of the coastal trails. I have never felt unsafe on a hiking trail, and we hike all the time.

Trailheads and parks are a big source of break-ins so take wallets. Don't leave them in the car. This has always been the case and probably always will be. I think you can put it on your list to visit.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:25 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
IMHO, All Over, i would suggest, put a Club on your steering wheel, anytime you leave your vehicle. Get a locking gas cap for your vehicles. Don't leave anything worth stealing visible in your vehicle.
It's a good idea to install a cut-out switch on your ignition system. The Good Old Days are no longer here anymore for anywhere. There are many more thieves out there, Nowadays...

BE SAFE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon