Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 10:13 AM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
True, but cities have depopulated since the 1960s, relative to suburbs. Really, since the 1950s which is when suburban communities really took off.

Some of these communities are separately incorporated and don't share a tax base, while others do. They're more affluent, more families, less single professionals, and more centrist.

What we call "cities" today are really metro areas. The central cities are pretty hard core Democrat, but the surrounding suburbs & towns are more 50-50 or skewing Republican. This was probably more true 20 years ago, when more WW2 generation were still alive, but I believe it is still true to some extent today.
It's going to be very interesting come the 2024 elections. As I was paddling down the Columbia river yesterday, I saw big Trump 2024 flag waving proudly from one of the riverfront homes. Those are typically multimillion dollar homes with wealthy owners. While it could just be an outlier, that is within the larger Portland metro. I have a hard time imagining a Republican winning any large metro area across Oregon, Washington or California. But the swing states are up for grabs.

Back to the OP's question, Oregon is becoming older. I don't know if politics plays a role in that. But some could argue that its policies are not family friendly, business friendly or middle to upper class friendly with the progressive tax system, drugs laws, etc... Given those factors, what does the future demographic look like? What is the target goal? Will it just be a reflection of those policies it supports?

Perhaps the strangest city in Oregon is also its fastest growing. Bend seems to attracts lots of young people. It's more heavily weighted toward toward the outdoor lifestyle enthusiast from young adults to retirees. Bend reminds me of a boutique mountain town in CO such as Aspen or Tahoe in California. It feels the most like a California city to me with lots of transplants, perhaps more than any other city in Oregon. In terms of fertility, I don't know if its any different than the rest of the state. But it feels so different than the Portland metro it could be another state entirely.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 11:55 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can take a kid anywhere with me. On vacation, on a plane, my kid was my very best travel buddy. And they don't stink up the house and leave poop in my grass. A child beats out a pet any day of the week for me. Obviously I love kids. I like dogs, and love to play with them, but I don't want one living in my home, ever. My BF has always had one, and I know exactly how much work they are.
Horses are even better. They are not underfoot, outside until you need them, undemanding and unless you are into showing, not as expensive as a pet/child.

I can say this, since I lived over a year in MacKenzie River with horses....drove into Eugene to work.

Never wanted a child and counted myself lucky to never be "saddled" with one!

Old 10-21-2023, 04:48 PM

7,621 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Looks like those downwind of the Boardman, OR Coal burning generator is assigned far greater public health issues the WA Handford reservation.

The acid rain from Boardman emissions significantly ate my concrete and automotive / house paint (Since I'm in the vortex of the Columbia Gorge). But so far i'm not dead (yet). Any day now.

A Hazmat tanker driver friend has made over 100 trips across OR to take Hanford waste to ID.
It pays well (while he is still alive).

I hear you Stealth. My much older sister found out a few days ago that she needs heart valve surgery or she will die. She sounds at peace (whatever is supposed to happen will happen)... Finally, she sounds mature -- LOL!!! Better late than never at 78.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It's going to be very interesting come the 2024 elections. As I was paddling down the Columbia river yesterday, I saw big Trump 2024 flag waving proudly from one of the riverfront homes. Those are typically multimillion dollar homes with wealthy owners. While it could just be an outlier, that is within the larger Portland metro. I have a hard time imagining a Republican winning any large metro area across Oregon, Washington or California. But the swing states are up for grabs.

Back to the OP's question, Oregon is becoming older. I don't know if politics plays a role in that. But some could argue that its policies are not family friendly, business friendly or middle to upper class friendly with the progressive tax system, drugs laws, etc... Given those factors, what does the future demographic look like? What is the target goal? Will it just be a reflection of those policies it supports?

Perhaps the strangest city in Oregon is also its fastest growing. Bend seems to attracts lots of young people. It's more heavily weighted toward toward the outdoor lifestyle enthusiast from young adults to retirees. Bend reminds me of a boutique mountain town in CO such as Aspen or Tahoe in California. It feels the most like a California city to me with lots of transplants, perhaps more than any other city in Oregon. In terms of fertility, I don't know if its any different than the rest of the state. But it feels so different than the Portland metro it could be another state entirely.

Derek
The Pacific Northwest attracts old souls, so even the younger people seem older.

The recession should reset things a bit and slow thing down.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
The Pacific Northwest attracts old souls, so even the younger people seem older.

The recession should reset things a bit and slow thing down.
I thought Covid was supposed to kill all the old folks off, so the young buckaroos could get those gravy jobs with super high pay.

Guess we'll have to dream up something else to get rid of the rest of them.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I thought Covid was supposed to kill all the old folks off, so the young buckaroos could get those gravy jobs with super high pay.

Guess we'll have to dream up something else to get rid of the rest of them.
Where I work they are promoting the young. However, the older people are still hanging in there too. There are some very bright younger people. I think they want the older people dead for the real estate..

Old 10-22-2023, 05:59 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Horses are even better. They are not underfoot, outside until you need them, undemanding and unless you are into showing, not as expensive as a pet/child.

I can say this, since I lived over a year in MacKenzie River with horses....drove into Eugene to work.

Never wanted a child and counted myself lucky to never be "saddled" with one!
LOL! Yeah I love horses, but they are very expensive pets! I have to say that my son is the best thing in my life. Nothing else has ever brought me as much joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon