Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times

Advertisements

I am living in Phoenix AZ right now originally from CO I do not like Phoenix at all-the heat, the lack of snow and rain, and the HUGE city are not plusses for me. I am going to school (I do like ASU a lot theres one plus to being here) to be a high school english teacher. i eventually would like to get a doctorate and become a professor at a university.

I did some research and found that Oregon is actually considered one of the best states to be a teacher in (#15 of all 50 states) and that makes me happy. I want to live outside of a city where I can have like ten acres of land and a decent house. My fiance and I plan to move to oregon in about three years.

Ok so enough about me now heres my questions:

Unlike most people looking at Oregon, the prospect of rain does not bother me-I like rain. However, I absolutely HATE bugs. How bad are the bugs in Oregon?

I am planning to visit Oregon this summer to sort of scout out a few places I may move to-what are some cities/areas that you would suggest to me based on what I am looking for?

Any other plusses or downsides you may have to add would be greatly appreciated as I am looking for any information possible. Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 05:51 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Well first of all you'll need to make serious money to be able to buy 10 acres of land that is outside of a city. Oregon has urban growth boundaries which are strict zoning laws. Land tends to go for a premium out here, but the farther out you are from a city the less expensive it gets. So...

As for bugs, we have carpenter ants which nest in wood so you'll want to treat for them every so often. We also have some wood boring beetles which can do damage to homes as well. Then we have your typical butterflies, ladybugs, pillbugs, you know everyday bugs.

I guess where you live depends on what you want to get your PhD in. You should probably plan to settle near a school that has the type of program you want.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,151 times
Have you thought of Bend? Housing prices have fallen in the last couple of years after they built too many houses. You might be able to find something on 10 acres for a decent price. figured I would mention a area that regularly snows since you said Phoenix lacks it.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Just out of curiosity, where did you find that Oregon is the #15th best place to be a teacher? It may be listed as such because this is a beautiful state with much to offer so it would be a good place for teachers (and others) to live but teaching jobs are not easy to come by. There have been many lay-offs and competition for whatever is available is fierce.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,304 times
Quick note on college professorships in Oregon... they pay poorly. When you look, you'll see what I mean. I thought about teaching at one point - then realized it would be quite a pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: