Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,380 times

Advertisements

My wife just got a job at Disney and we are all set to move down there this summer. I have a dream teaching job up here. I've been teaching very high level math for the high school level, at a very good public school, and I have some very motivated students that seem to respond well to my teaching style. We are planning on renting for a year before buying, so we have some flexibility on where we live, but I need some advice on which schools I should apply to. Really, I'm looking for the best schools, with healthy AP/IB programs where my commute and her commute wouldn't be too long. Our ideas for where we live have mostly centered around winter garden, but we're up for other suggestions too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
Winter Garden is a great place to live. I think that West Orange High School is one of the best in OCPS and its near winter garden.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Dr. Phillips High is in that area and I think it has the highest rating around the west part of town.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,269 times
apply to all four of the county school districts.

You never know which will actually have any openings.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
apply to all four of the county school districts.

You never know which will actually have any openings.
This. In FL you don't apply to individual schools, you apply to the districts, which are run by the counties.

You could aso try some of the private schools, Lake Highland Prep and Montverde Academy would be good places to start. Winter Garden/Windermere would be pretty central, and close to Disney.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM

388 posts, read 790,538 times
Where are you moving from? What kind of position did your wife get at Disney? What's your budget for rental based upon her salary alone, since you don't have a job lined up yet. My wife is a teacher here and it took her 3 years to find the right position before we made the move. It was NOT easy and was a big change from what she was used to up north. It sounds like you like your job up there. Just be aware of what the climate is like down here prior to moving. We LOVE it here, but there are many struggles for teachers in the public school system. They've worked the last few years without a raise or step, have worked this entire year without a contract, and health insurance costs to cover my wife and I hover around $600/month. That being said, Dr. Phillips HS might have the largest concentration of AP kids, but that doesn't mean you'll have that position considering you'd be applying the county and not the schools. Best course of action is apply to the county, see the listings that are available, and then email the principal of the school to let them know you're applying. I know a lot of teachers are resigning this year, so you might have a better shot securing a position. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,380 times
I am moving from just outside Washington, DC. I'm moving from a top 100 high school. We've also had no raise or step for the past 5 years. My wife is going to be a Senior Industrial Engineer at Disney, so based solely on her income, we could probably swing about 2k per month, but would like to stay closer to 1.5k.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Where are you moving from? What kind of position did your wife get at Disney? What's your budget for rental based upon her salary alone, since you don't have a job lined up yet. My wife is a teacher here and it took her 3 years to find the right position before we made the move. It was NOT easy and was a big change from what she was used to up north. It sounds like you like your job up there. Just be aware of what the climate is like down here prior to moving. We LOVE it here, but there are many struggles for teachers in the public school system. They've worked the last few years without a raise or step, have worked this entire year without a contract, and health insurance costs to cover my wife and I hover around $600/month. That being said, Dr. Phillips HS might have the largest concentration of AP kids, but that doesn't mean you'll have that position considering you'd be applying the county and not the schools. Best course of action is apply to the county, see the listings that are available, and then email the principal of the school to let them know you're applying. I know a lot of teachers are resigning this year, so you might have a better shot securing a position. Good luck!
I'd read somewhere that they're expecting a significant number of baby-boomer age public school teachers in Florida to retire within the next few years, and they've got great retirement packages, so there are incentives for them to do so. I'm not surprised to hear this, and if so, may leave quite a few openings for new teachers in school systems in Florida. The OP indicated that he was a secondary level math teacher (including AP and advanced math), and it seems that both science and math teachers ( especially experienced teachers like the OP) have been more in demand, even when they weren't especially looking for teachers, than teachers in some of the other areas.

The OP might also consider applying for substitute teaching as well, if full-time jobs to his liking aren't forthcoming. That way he could get to know the school system, make some contacts, and they get to know him as well.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Clermont / lake county are the best schools I have come accross in a long time/

Old 04-03-2014, 03:58 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
While it is true that you must apply to the district where you want to work, you then have to communicate with the individual schools. The district offices don't interview teachers and then farm them out to schools they choose for them. After having your information on file with the district, you then apply for individual jobs at individual schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando