Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 PM

261 posts, read 621,713 times

Advertisements

Orlando--I've had good experiences there, no problem. I'm AA. GO for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times
Yeah where are these responses coming from?....we are not like Arkansas or Iowa......we are a diverse area and i have seen plenty of interacial friends and couples wandering around town.....Only if you live out in a small town here then people might stare but not even there sometimes would you find discrimination....This is Florida a melting pot

Old 09-21-2007, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,476 times
I am in a interracial marriage. My wife is 'black' I am 'white'.

We lived in orlando and then in Sunrise we never had any issues.

we received grief in Queens NY visiting there, and that was 'reverse' racism.

Nowhere else that we have lived has our race been an issue whatsoever. Especially not in Orlando with the number of toursists coming there every year.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:01 AM

14 posts, read 99,514 times
I've been in relationships with different races here in Orlando, and I've never seen a problem until I dated a man from Venezuela. I'm African American, and he's Spanish and "white-skinned". We got a few looks here and there but since this is Orlando, and there are a lot of Spanish people here, I don't think it mattered. But I did get the "are you helping him get his Visa" question a few times. : /

There is not enough of one race here for interracial couples to be a problem. The ones who do strongly oppose it, are so outnumbered by those who don't mind. They realize it's futile to say or do anything about it.

Setsunna.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Never noticed a problem here. Some of our best friends are an interracial couple and we have several interracial couples in our church. However, when my mom from south carolina was here visiting, well, let's just say it was a shock to her. It made me realize how far we've come and how far we still have to go in realizing we are all brothers and sisters in the family of humanity.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,754 times
OK, I hope I'm not being a complete dunce here, but how is a hispanic/white an relationship interracial? My sister is married to to a hispanic man and I have never heard anyone suggest that they have an interracial relationship. Since moving to Florida is the first time I have heard of hispanics not being considered white or black or Native American and it's seems prejudiced to me to try to separate them from everyone else like that. I am still fairly new to Florida, so maybe this is a Florida thing?

-Harry

PS While talking to a hispanic girl at work yesterday, she said that her high school had been 98% hispanic and that there were only two white students. This shocked me that she would describe the situation in those but I was a little afraid to ask about it since I don't know if it's a sensitive subject down here, so I'm glad this thread came up.

Last edited by hgebel; 09-22-2007 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Add PS

Old 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM

47 posts, read 311,778 times
My guess is an inter-racial couple will not have any issues in Orlando, simply because there are lots of different people here, whether they live here or a tourist. My other guess is if you are way out in the boondocks where the folks have no teeth, have a dozen rusty broken down pickup trucks in the front yard , with a handful of barking dogs....yeah , there you may have a problem.
again, just guessing.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
I lived there for 5 years, I am hispanic and I dated white, black and asian girls...not 1 issue in Orlando.

Matter of fact, when I visit my friends that live there and we go out to eat you can look around the table and you will see:
Cuban/White,
PRican/White,
Mexi/White,
Black/PR,
Black/Cuban,
Argentinean/White
White/Asian
Pakistani/Hawaiian,
Columbian/White
Korean...well she is still single but....

I am being totally honest too. Orlando feels about like Cali in diversity and tolerance.

Now I did get lot's of bad looks with my black girlfriend in Tampa...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,321 times
I am a black woman living in Orlando who tends to date white men - be prepared to get a few extra looks, but nothing more.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
I don't know where some of these answers come from.......

We are such a diverse community that I don't think it would ever be noticed. Three of our couple friends are inter-racial, hispanic/white, white/black, black/hispanic. Never has any one of them encountered any problem what so ever.....yes some of these responses bothered me so I called and asked. I got laughter out of two and a snort out of the other.

Sometimes I think these questions are asked just to bring out an argument. I'm going to stop responding to these kind of queries.
I'm in agreement about the diversity..its great to live in an area where color doesnt seem to matter. But as far as the person's question..i think its definetly a fair question. Especially if you are looking to move and settle in a particular neighborhood. This person may have experienced being frowned upon due to their interracial relationship.

Rwarky, I wish you and your partner all the best! Just remember..no matter where you go in life you will always be judged..whether your race, religion, size..it doesnt matter. This is the world we live in..just try to live, learn and be happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando