Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,409,362 times

Advertisements

well my fellow CD'ers.I for one found this site because I was selling my house and was wanting info on new places to go to and follow my area in the meantime.

Flashfoward a year latter after selling my house(thank gawd) and starting a new and better life I still come here because of all the cool people and topics to gab about.

So let me ask,now that the boom is over are you where you wana be now?Are you currently trying to sell/relocate?

Did the boom do good for you or bad?Do you like your new area or was it grass greener on the othe side?

Are you sorry you sold or do you feel "hell ya best thing I did"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
Interesting topic LionKing - Coincidentally, I've been living in my house for almost 10 years now. I moved in on Memorial Day weekend 1998, about 2 weeks right after they put the finishing touches on the construction, it was a new house. If you like the smell of a new automobile, you'll definitely love the smell of a new house!

I paid $102,000 for it, and the last appraisal put the value at around $210,000. The 2006 appraisal put the value at somewhere around $230,000 so it lost a little value because of the real estate bubble burst, but I'm still way ahead, especially because I only have less than 5 years left on the mortgage. I took the 15-year mortgage.

So I'd say the boom helped me; on a side note, I would prefer to see a slow and steady growth in the real estate, and other markets, it's definitely much better than a strong boom, then a sudden crash, which seems to affect several other sectors in the economy.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
i came here because i was researching new states to live in. i did sell my house right before the "crash", and did pretty well on it. we rented for a few months in the new state, and now have a brand new home for almost half of what my last 50 yr old house cost us. we still have a mortgage for sure, but i get to be a sahm now! so yeah i am pretty happy
i stick around cause i like to read what others write--you all bring a cheer to my day

Old 05-07-2008, 12:38 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
Back in 1980 I bought a 2 acre lot and started building my own house at age 20. All out of pocket. It's still not finished! But man am I ever way ahead if I decide to sell this place. Just the 2 acre lot cost me 7 grand...and now would go for 25 or 30.
2 years ago I bought some waterfront island property. 9 grand for a half acre. You can't touch one now for less than 30. Another 20 years and I my be a millionaire! Of course in 20 years, a million dollars now will only be worth a few grand.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,028,000 times
I cannot remember how I found this site, but when I did, I thought it might help my business as a Realtor. Now, I don't care about that, but this site has just become so darned fun.

I am currently trying to sell my home, we will make a profit from it, not as much as we would have had we sold a year ago, but that's ok, it's still a profit. Bought it about 4 years ago, thinking this may be the last move, but now, just want to downsize and get as close to the beach as possible. That probably won't be our last move either, until we can get into some little condo that actually is oceanfront, so that I can sit on my balcony, laptop in hand, looking out on the ocean while I post on C-D!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,399,923 times
I missed my window ! But, I'm debt free ( Thank you Dave) and will be paying off my mortgage in less then 5 years. Yippeeee !!! If the market pops back before that time I'm definitely going to sell and get the heck outta dodge.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:47 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,385,493 times
Hmm.. I came here because I was researching North Carolina for a move there that was supposed to happen last summer. I came here in feb of 07. I moved, but did not buy, I am still renting, in the same city I was in in the first place.

The market has not really touched me one way or another... yet.

Will she ever buy a house? Who knows. Where will she live? What state? Who knows. I am not there yet.

I have made many friends here, had much good time..

I keep coming back, sometimes more, somtimes less, but always typing typing typing and telling so much.. lol

like an open book, I am...

Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
I was up to something subversive when I found C-D, can't say what, but I found the state forums fascinating. The non-states are what keep me coming back. There's a good mix of topics to read about.

As far as the boom/crash is concerned, I did pretty well during the boom and may lose a little value during the crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics