Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 AM

90 posts, read 331,442 times

Advertisements

I suspect that when my computer genius relative visited my house last week he might have installed one of those store bought Key Logging (Internet Use Monitoring) software packages on my computer. That way he can get a report of all the Internet sites we visit and take away our privacy.

I read somewhere that basic spy-ware scans will not detect this type of software. What can I do to see if this is installed on my computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,247,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
I suspect that when my computer genius relative visited my house last week he might have installed one of those store bought Key Logging (Internet Use Monitoring) software packages on my computer. That way he can get a report of all the Internet sites we visit and take away our privacy.

I read somewhere that basic spy-ware scans will not detect this type of software. What can I do to see if this is installed on my computer?
Why would he do this?

I have been told that they can be found rather easy with detection software...but you are right, the basic scans will not detect this.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,481 times
A relative installed tracking software on your personal computer? A nephew no less? What gives him the right to do this? Why did you let him on your computer? I allow no one on my computer, not even my grown Sons as they don't live here and have their own computers to play on.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
Not knowing more about the nephew and any possible reasons why he would do this, it might be that there are places online that he visited ~ and “they” downloaded a program to your pc without him being aware of it.

In any case it’s best to have it checked out if you feel uncomfortable. You might find more help with this topic in the other forums for pc’s and technical stuff.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
My sister had two short term guests at her house and between the two of the kids they had changed so many of the options that she can’t get the programs to work the same as before. Little things (options) that get changed can cause others to go crazy with the new settings. Why do people do this? If you’re a guest in my house ~ use the pc and enjoy it, but DON’T change my settings or options.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post

If you're using Windows XP, go to the Control Panel (Start-->Control Panel) from the Start menu, then click on the "Add or Remove Programs" option/icon. You can use this to see what programs have been installed on your system, and it will list them. If the program is not in the system's registery, use the Alt-Cntrl-Delete key sequence to start Windows' task manager utility. Click on the "Applications" tab. Make sure you have no other processes running, and when the list appears, there shouldn't be anything on it.

Another way to find if such software was installed on your system, which doesn't always work, depending on how your relative installed this software, is to restart the computer in "Safe mode", with nothing else running but the basic Windows OS, without the networking applications , and use the Alt-Control-Delete key sequence to start Windows task manager again. Click on the "Processes" tab and there shouldn't be anything on there.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
I can't imagine why he'd even CARE where you visit on the 'net....are you doing something you shouldn't???? Is he checking to see what you ordered for his Christmas present????
Why would he even bother?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,422 times
Windows Defender is free and will protect your system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics