Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM

543 posts, read 944,766 times

Advertisements

since arriving in this great city.I arrived on the 2nd of september but got busy in settling in the community and the college. I live in a very suburban part of the city called Napean which is nothing but rows of houses.
Today I got to visit downtown Ottawa and it was such an exhilarating experience-Its like there was so much to take in, so much to digest- All around me there was something that caught my eye for example I was confused on whether to visit the Government building or enter a strip club adjacent to it.

I want to do everything as I do not have much time(1 year program) and I am sure schoolwork will take up most of it. I wanna see the wilderness, ice skate through the city, bike around, visit museums and bars, clubs and joints and at the same time make friends for life, I also want to volunteer and do some good.
I mean it may sound crazy but being there among the huge skyscrapers really did it for me that its no good just dreamin but actually living it.

Also, I wish to do everything in other cities like Edmonton and Calgary and Vancouver and Toronto but I probably will only scratch the surface as I will visit those places as a tourist on a budget......Are other cities as exciting as Ottawa(Huge shopping malls, Nightlife, food choices, downtown sophistication, big city feel) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
You are only a 2 hour drive from Montreal,if you think Ottawa rocks take that 2 hour drive.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM

106 posts, read 336,577 times
Glad you like Ottawa. There are some marvellous hills nearby so if you like to bike, grab one and explore. Constance Bay (north west of the city) is Ottawa's hidden gem. Great sandy beach and water that you can actually get into. There's usually a voyelball game going on throughout weekends in the summer and your backdrop are very nice hills. In the city, you can grab a boat cruise (near the Laurier Hotel) and cruise up and down the river or canal. However looks like you are coming at the end of summer so luckily for you've missed all the heat and humidity. Fall is beautiful in Ottawa with the leaves falling so take lots of pictures. Unfortunately Ottawa winters can be very cold at times but at least you'll get a fair bit of sunshine as they tend to get more than Toronto. The only thing is that Toronto is a little warmer in the winter so if you need an escape, the GTA is huge with tons of stuff to so at all hours. Toronto really is a night city so be prepared to explore some of the clubs and restaurants down this way. Big cities bring lots of traffic so be forewarned! There are underground paths in the city where you don't even have to go outside. Montreal is nice but a lot smaller then Toronto and colder as well. But there is a nice vibe in the town and the restaurants are even better than that of Toronto. Be sure to check out Crescent Street in the downtown core (lots of bars) and take in a Habs game while you are at it!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Huge skyscrapers, eh? In Ottawa, Ontario???

ROFLMAO

Surely you're putting us on.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 PM

106 posts, read 336,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Huge skyscrapers, eh? In Ottawa, Ontario???

ROFLMAO

Surely you're putting us on.
No he's being serious Cornerman!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM

543 posts, read 944,766 times
Oh I am being dead serious and yes-Ottawa doesnt have many skyscrapers even when compared to my city-Bombay, but to actually see them for a change when I went to Downtown was refreshing.
I am pretty sure Downtown Toronto and Montreal would be just as amazing...Its like you wanna lap everything in

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Oh I am being dead serious and yes-Ottawa doesnt have many skyscrapers even when compared to my city-Bombay, but to actually see them for a change when I went to Downtown was refreshing.
I am pretty sure Downtown Toronto and Montreal would be just as amazing...Its like you wanna lap everything in

Ottawa doesn't have any skyscrapers, although there are a few high-rises about.

I guess the main thing is that the member enjoyed his visit.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
I guess Ottawa having skyscrapers is a matter of perspective, by Wiki's definition Ottawa does in fact have skyscrapers
Skyscraper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The important point to me is rishi85 had a good time in our nations capital
Rishi if you get the chance to take a trip to New York City while you are here you will be amazed.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM

24 posts, read 87,881 times
Forget NYC, if he enjoyed Ottawa so much his head will blow in Montreal or TO

Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,195 times
I also agree, he needs to go to Montreal before the weather gets too cold. It's absolutely amazing to walk along the cobblestone streets of Vieux-Montreal or meander through the shops and restaurants in Plateau Mont Royal. And of course the wonderful ethnic restaurants of Notre Dame de Grace.

But Ottawa is a cool little city too, I love the Gatineau hills and the beautiful parks and bridges across the Ottawa River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau