Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM

418 posts, read 784,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticingCatholic View Post
Hey guys, I'm an American boy living in Texas right now with my wife and 1st son. We are considering Ottawa as a future destination on the distant horizon, but I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD, or the Winter Blues). I left Lansing, Michigan because it's one of the cloudiest places on earth and I couldn't handle that much gray anymore. I've ton a little research and some sites I'm seeing say that Ottawa has 300+ days of sunshine, which I find hard to believe because that's how it is in Texas and it never snows here.

Can anyone on this board fill me in on the real story? How much sun do y'all have? How do you think someone with Seasonal Affective Disorder would do in that climate, etc.?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!
I have lived in Ottawa prior to moving to San Antonio.

I can tell you without question the sun shines here in San Antonio
much more than it does in Ottawa.

You may end up needing a light pad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 539 times
I have lived here for 51 years. Clean nice city. It used to be sunny a lot until about 6 years ago Now it is cloudy most days. It's April 27th and they are calling for snow. Let's swap.. I would love to live in Texas.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,964,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticingCatholic View Post
Hey guys, I'm an American boy living in Texas right now with my wife and 1st son. We are considering Ottawa as a future destination on the distant horizon, but I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD, or the Winter Blues). I left Lansing, Michigan because it's one of the cloudiest places on earth and I couldn't handle that much gray anymore. I've ton a little research and some sites I'm seeing say that Ottawa has 300+ days of sunshine, which I find hard to believe because that's how it is in Texas and it never snows here.

Can anyone on this board fill me in on the real story? How much sun do y'all have? How do you think someone with Seasonal Affective Disorder would do in that climate, etc.?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Think again. Ottawa has been under cloud and rain for days, and is now telling people whose homes were destroyed in floods that they'll have to move along, they can't live there anymore.

Is that what you want? Government control that takes your home and gives you a suitcase full of money, move along? Of course not. No one wants that.

Statistics are intended to win something, be the best at something. Just because you see a place with lots of sunshine, does that mean it's true? Seriously? Ottawa has earthquakes, floods, electrical storms, ice storms and no, it's not sunny all the time.

Anyone with seasonal affective disorder does not do well in a part of the world where the sun goes down at 4:30 in the afternoon for half the year.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM

36 posts, read 25,096 times
I know this is a very old thread, but whatever. Environment Canada have a different way to calculate hours of sunshine and they are constantly undercounted (either that or the US numbers or inflated). For example Windsor averages 2027 hours of sunshine whereas Detroit averages 2436 hours, and we all know this is impossible.

As for Ottawa, I would say it all depends. Some years can be pretty gloomy but overall it is not bad at all. In general I would say November, March and April are the worst in terms of amount of sunshine. Some summers can be very hot and dry (2018) or cool and rainy (2017).

Last edited by nukos; 04-29-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
I would say Ottawa (and most of southern Ontario and southern Quebec) is decently sunny. For the reference to a place like Lansing, MI, Ottawa probably isn't that different in terms of sunshine.

But sure, it's not as sunny as a place like San Antonio, TX. Or even most places on the Canadian Prairies which are quite sunny as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau