Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 15,805 times

Advertisements

I'm about to start my career in the Ottawa area and would like recommendations for a neighborhood for a young, single professional.

I believe I read around here that the area around Elgin St. is a good place for young singles, does that still hold true? Any other places I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
The Byward Market area (south of Rideau and west of King Edward) is a pretty good area as well. It's even livier than the area around Elgin (and therefore noisier) but also more convenient for shopping, etc.

Sandy Hill which is east of King Edward and south of Rideau is a big student area since it is close to the University of Ottawa. Student digs are mixed in with upper middle class residences.

North of Rideau on the opposite side of Sandy Hill (Lower Town East) is not so nice an area.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 15,805 times
Byward Market would also be more convenient for buses, but would the noise be problematic even in one of those condo towers they put up recently?

What are your thoughts on Centretown?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,540,971 times
But even Byward Market isn't really noisey. It seemed really familyish to me the one time I went there. I guess it would be more of a ruckus in the day than at night - unless that's an issue.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
But even Byward Market isn't really noisey. It seemed really familyish to me the one time I went there. I guess it would be more of a ruckus in the day than at night - unless that's an issue.

The Market can definitely be noisy at night in the area between Clarence and Rideau. North of there (between Clarence and the river) is about the same as any downtown neighbourhood.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMinds5 View Post
Byward Market would also be more convenient for buses, but would the noise be problematic even in one of those condo towers they put up recently?
Probably not an issue if you are just a couple of floors up.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:

What are your thoughts on Centretown?
Up and coming but not as fun and developed as Elgin and the Market. The streets are much less lively at night - even Bank St. which is the main drag through the district isn't super lively at night.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
Quote:
I'm about to start my career in the Ottawa area and would like recommendations for a neighborhood for a young, single professional.

I believe I read around here that the area around Elgin St. is a good place for young singles, does that still hold true? Any other places I should consider?

hi InquiringMinds5,

I'm a young graduate in Ottawa as well, you should check out the following areas: Ottawa west, Byward Market or Centre Town. Good luck on your search and enjoy the city !

Source: www.navut.com

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,362 times
Elgin is good for singles. Mostly single young women live there and in the "Golden Triangle" area. The Market is overpriced and Rideau Street is full of roughnecks on Friday and Saturday nights, so in my opinion it's an interesting place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Centre town has character. Hintonburg and Wellington West, and Westboro, are quite granola/hipsterish, if that's your thing.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 PM

21 posts, read 26,253 times
There are only a few safe good areas left in Ottawa. Now 10 years ago things were alot better and safer. Ottawa has alot of gang activity and the liberal police and court system dont care. They continue to get away with horrible activities, sexual assaults on women, theft etc. Ottawa has had 17 homocides since Jan 1st 2014 its now Aug -that is double from last years. 13 of these are gangs! I think all the gangs are foreign. For the size of ottawa- halifax is the same size and they have no gangs and less than half the homocide rate of ottawa. Dont believe the media-they dont tell the truth. Its unsafe for single women to go out at night now i ottawa by bus or walking. There is an area called Heron that is very very bad-its so bad people dont go in the daytime there, its filled with nasty gangs-even around walmart. South Keys is another bad area!

The Glebe appears to be one of the best areas of ottawa but there are alot of liberals and gays. Its safe however as its also close to Ottawa U.......good luck!

White woman here 7 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau