Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 11:45 AM

24 posts, read 25,314 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, British women married and living in USA with American husband.

After searching and searching in the USA (we live in Virginia) and never settling, it occurred to us that a great compromise would be to move to Canada, he's from Michigan and I'm from England !!!!!!!!

After a lot of research it is apparent that it is not easy, but we are prepared to do what ever it takes because we really believe this is where we see our future.

My husband is 62 he is a Master Ford Automotive Tech/Mechanic and feels he has a good few years left in him as he loves what he does and he is quite fit and healthy. It seems he would be able to apply via Express Entry as a Skilled Trades person, Level B. However, he would need a firm job offer and the employer would need to get a LMIA...A Labour Market Impact Assessment before he can even apply for a work permit.

Does ANYONE know anything that might help us....we just need a bit of a confidence booster at the moment because it does not look promising, I was sooooooo excited a week ago and now I feel like I have had all the stuffing knocked out of me.

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:26 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
I don't know a thing about your husband's field of work, unfortunately. But it isn't a simple thing to immigrate to Canada without a job offer (other alternatives: as retirees? Would you be willing to research that and build some savings?)... Canada uses a point system for many regular immigrants (that is: you aren't a refugee, you aren't applying under a family reunification program, etc.)... a job offer is a straightforward route to getting admitted.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:18 PM

343 posts, read 1,314,117 times
I am in a similar process - moving from the US to Canada. I will agree with the previous poster that you have to educate yourself a bit more on the point system/immigration system so you can apply. It may take a good couple of years for the process to fully end but well worth it!

When you say "not look promising" - is there anything specific you are referring to such as labor market or the immigration system or just generally?

Obviously moving is hard and life changing, so I feel the "not promising" vibe sometimes too BUT will have to keep trying to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau