Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What brought the Portuguese to Gatineau in the first place? Did they come from the mainland, the Azores, or Cape Verde?

You may find the answers to some of your questions here.
http://artsites.uottawa.ca/ottawapro...e-2010-Feb.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Most Portuguese people I have met in Montreal seem to be from Azores. Even here in Winnipeg I see a lot of vehicles with the Azores flag stickers on it. I have only met a few people from the Mainland. I know a few people from Madeira as well.

Portuguese food is so good. I love Portuguese bakeries .

Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Most Portuguese people I have met in Montreal seem to be from Azores. Even here in Winnipeg I see a lot of vehicles with the Azores flag stickers on it. I have only met a few people from the Mainland. I know a few people from Madeira as well.

Portuguese food is so good. I love Portuguese bakeries .
The Azores is also a disproportionate source of Portuguese migration to the USA, in places such as California, Hawaii and New England (Massachusetts, Rhode Island). May have something to do with economic conditions there, which is not unusual.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The Azores is also a disproportionate source of Portuguese migration to the USA, in places such as California, Hawaii and New England (Massachusetts, Rhode Island). May have something to do with economic conditions there, which is not unusual.
That and many years under a dictatorship, following by a number of years of unstable transition post-dictatorship.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 AM

630 posts, read 525,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That and many years under a dictatorship, following by a number of years of unstable transition post-dictatorship.

Actually the political and economical situation only explain in part why Portuguese immigration to Canada/USA hails almost exclusively from the Azores. For starters, the Azores archipelago is almost as close to American shores as it to mainland Portugal. I've seen some resource claiming its location to be North America. Second, being an island the local economy naturally turns to maritime activities such as fishing, so naturally pursuing fish led Azoreans to North American shores again. Given the need for human capital importation in both Canada and the US Azorean started settling around Massachusetts, California and parts of Canada. It opened the door for more to come.

Portuguese immigration to North America has always been small compared to other European countries and would be practically non-existent if it wasn't for people hailing from the Azores.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Actually the political and economical situation only explain in part why Portuguese immigration to Canada/USA hails almost exclusively from the Azores. For starters, the Azores archipelago is almost as close to American shores as it to mainland Portugal. I've seen some resource claiming its location to be North America. Second, being an island the local economy naturally turns to maritime activities such as fishing, so naturally pursuing fish led Azoreans to North American shores again. Given the need for human capital importation in both Canada and the US Azorean started settling around Massachusetts, California and parts of Canada. It opened the door for more to come.

Portuguese immigration to North America has always been small compared to other European countries and would be practically non-existent if it wasn't for people hailing from the Azores.
I've also read before that there was a particularly harsh period of economic collapse in the Açores in the 50s-60s-70s, but I can't find the details anymore.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
There should be a sizeable Portuguese community in Montréal too: I remember lots of Portuguese rôtisseries and places.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
There should be a sizeable Portuguese community in Montréal too: I remember lots of Portuguese rôtisseries and places.
Yes, it's bigger than ours. Gatineau's just stands out more because it's a smaller city with a less diverse population of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau