Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 05:36 AM

24 posts, read 42,323 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move back to Canada and are thinking Ottawa as we have a lot of family there. But we’re bringing our 12, 9 and 6 year old kids with us.

My 12 year old is currently in honors in middle school. He has zero French. So I obviously wouldn’t put him in immersion at his age. Are the non-immersion education tracts challenging? Can you do honors without immersion?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 06:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn77 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move back to Canada and are thinking Ottawa as we have a lot of family there. But we’re bringing our 12, 9 and 6 year old kids with us.

My 12 year old is currently in honors in middle school. He has zero French. So I obviously wouldn’t put him in immersion at his age. Are the non-immersion education tracts challenging? Can you do honors without immersion?

Thanks for the help!
There are some complaints in Ottawa that the non-French immersion programs in English schools are weaker because most of the stronger kids (i.e. those who can keep up with learning the three R's - but in another language to boot) are skimmed off by the immersion programs.

I don't know how much truth there is to this though. Probably a bit. Though if your child goes to a school in an affluent neighbourhood probably both the immersion and non-immersion streams will be fine.

You might also want to look into "late immersion" which starts around age 12 IIRC. So it's more of a beginner's program as opposed to dropping a 12 year old into a class in French where everyone has been learning it for six years.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:54 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,464,171 times
It is not clear if you are asking about Ottawa (English province, Ontario, no need for immersion), or Gatineau across the river (French province, Quebec), where the kids may not be eligible to study in a public English school unless they (or their parents, that is, one of you) had already studied in an English school in Canada.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
It is not clear if you are asking about Ottawa (English province, Ontario, no need for immersion), or Gatineau across the river (French province, Quebec), where the kids might not be eligible to study in a public English school unless they (or their parents, that is, one of you) had already studied in an English school in Canada.
My answer was based on the assumption that they would be living in Ottawa, Ontario.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,464,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My answer was based on the assumption that they would be living in Ottawa, Ontario.
She is asking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn77 View Post
Are the non-immersion education tracts challenging? Can you do honors without immersion?
I am confused if we even have an "honors education tract" similar to (supposedly) American one?

Is it the AP (Advanced Placement) program?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
She is asking:

I am confused if we even have an "honors education tract" similar to (supposedly) American one?

Is it the AP (Advanced Placement) program?
I answered based on my assumption of what the OP meant, since in there were terms I was not familiar with and that are probably American (or at least specific to the education system in a U.S. state).

To me it was pretty clear that the OP wanted to know if kids who aren't in French immersion in Ottawa schools find themselves in a sucky, weaker stream. (As opposed to the French immersion stream, which is reputed to be where most of the strong students are.)

I responded based on that assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau