Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM

26 posts, read 25,335 times

Advertisements

That's why semi are lower in property value, complete different experience of living compared to detached single family house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 03:13 AM

9 posts, read 15,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurW View Post
That's why semi are lower in property value, complete different experience of living compared to detached single family house.
Depends on the part of town you're in. Our place is worth more than some of the older single family homes you'll find in town.

That being said, being in a semi never really bothered me as I grew up in a town house where we had a neighbor stuck on both sides. However, both of them were decent people. Just my current neighbors are thorns in our side.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurW View Post
...complete[ly] different experience of living compared to detached single family house.
Not necessarily, and sometimes the SFH is worse. It depends on construction, density (i.e. how close your neighbors are in a SFH), and it definitely depends on *who* your neighbors are.

I live in an end-unit townhouse, so one wall is shared. I know my neighbors, I know when they're home, and I never hear a peep from them -- not during the day (I work from home), not at night, never. I know someone who lives around the corner from me, in a SFH (the whole street is SFHs), and they can hear their neighbors, can hear their kids, etc.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Not necessarily, and sometimes the SFH is worse. It depends on construction, density (i.e. how close your neighbors are in a SFH), and it definitely depends on *who* your neighbors are.

I live in an end-unit townhouse, so one wall is shared. I know my neighbors, I know when they're home, and I never hear a peep from them -- not during the day (I work from home), not at night, never. I know someone who lives around the corner from me, in a SFH (the whole street is SFHs), and they can hear their neighbors, can hear their kids, etc.
I agree. I'm just saying statistically speaking, in similar class of neighborhood, buying a SFH is a lot less likely to have issues with neighbors. I myself lived in many townhouse and semis, never heard a peep from the neighbors. Really depending on what is your community. But when it comes to buying one, I will try my best to have what my money can buy, because you never know who and what you neighbor will be. Not to mention some misanthropists may occasionally decide to blow up their house using their gas line. We seen quite a few in Canada recent years, you don't want to share a wall with these nuts.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_art03a View Post
Depends on the part of town you're in. Our place is worth more than some of the older single family homes you'll find in town.

That being said, being in a semi never really bothered me as I grew up in a town house where we had a neighbor stuck on both sides. However, both of them were decent people. Just my current neighbors are thorns in our side.
99 out 100, you won't have issues with a neighbor in these units, if you are living in a normal community in almost any Canadian towns. Actually many people like the coziness of being sandwiched in townhouses, many like the feeling of being able to seeing people whenever they raise their eyebrows to the backyard. and for sure less maintanence for townhouses and semis. But consider the safety margin of avoiding troublesome neighbor, the extra spaces for your children running about, I definitely vote for SFH, for these reasons they are higher in property value and have more potential for appreciation in similar neighborhoods.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:25 PM

Well, thought I'd update folks on the situation. We have tentatively sold the house, awaiting on confirmation of money from our agent. We sold for $10k under our asking price, but it was the only decent offer we've received that wasn't low-balling or on condition of financing (the buyers were pre-approved).

That being said, I don't think our poor neighbors know what's in store for them. Turns out it's a semi-large family (8 folks) of musicians who bought our place. Anyway, figured I'd bring this story to a close and thanks for pitching in!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Congratulations!!!! I'm glad for you. There's nothing worse than being miserable in your own home.

And hahahahaha!! Oh, karma... good job! I hope they have amps and aren't afraid to use 'em.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Congratulations!!!! I'm glad for you. There's nothing worse than being miserable in your own home.

And hahahahaha!! Oh, karma... good job! I hope they have amps and aren't afraid to use 'em.

Not sure about the instruments, but I do recall them mentioning that some of their kids were in the local high school band, and it turns out that daddy-o is a jazz musician who plays with a music teacher that I know from back when I was in school. So, I don't expect them to be playing quiet instruments.

But yeah, things should get interesting on the block come July 1 when they move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau