Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 PM

224 posts, read 527,718 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - I’m moving to Ottawa in a few months (relocation). I’m in a guy in my early 30s, single, where are the best areas to live? Ideally I’d like to be in a walk-able (does that exist?) close to gym, groceries and in an area close to other singles. I’ve checked some areas online, and they say the best areas are Golden Triangle and Glebe, does this make sense? Is traffic really bad in these areas? I should note that I’m looking to rent, don’t want to spend more than $2k/month. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Hey, biz! Welcome to the dark side.

The Glebe is great. So is Westboro.

Where will you be working? Since that's likely your 5-day-per-week voyage, I'd try to stay close to that... unless you're working in Vanier.

PS. These last several months have been insane in terms of real estate. Rents are through the roof.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
I think that for a young single the Golden Triangle is head and shoulders above all other options.

The Byward Market and immediate environs would also be good though it is a lot noisier and having some issues with crime lately (by Ottawa standards anyway). The Golden Triangle though is located close enough to the Byward Market (and Rideau Centre) that you can take easy advantage of it without having to live there.

The Glebe is a great urban neighbourhood though quite family-oriented and surprisingly quiet at night. Especially after 9 pm.

Westboro probably has more night time action than the Glebe for a young person. But it still pales in comparison to the Golden Triangle.

I would not worry too much about traffic as the Golden Triangle is within easy walking distance of a lot of stuff and has good transit connections too. You can also bike from there all over the city, and in the winter you can even ice skate to various places believe it or not.

Though one thing is that the main street in the Triangle (Elgin) is being torn up for refurbishment right, but you wouldn't drive there anyway if you lived in the neighbourhood.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hey, biz! Welcome to the dark side.

The Glebe is great. So is Westboro.

Where will you be working? Since that's likely your 5-day-per-week voyage, I'd try to stay close to that... unless you're working in Vanier.

PS. These last several months have been insane in terms of real estate. Rents are through the roof.
Thanks! I'd be commuting to the Nepean area, that's maybe 20 min drive to Ottawa, right? How much have apartment rentals gone up?

Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Thanks! I'd be commuting to the Nepean area, that's maybe 20 min drive to Ottawa, right? How much have apartment rentals gone up?
It really depends where in Nepean -- Bells Corners, Barrhaven, Bayshore will all be different drive times, especially depending on the traffic. When you find some interesting apartments online, Google Map them to your work address.

I can't personally speak to rental prices, but I've been hearing people complain that a year ago they'd been able to find a nice place for $1200 and it's now over $2000. I bought my place in May 2017 and my neighbor just sold his place (which is an exact replica of mine except that I upgraded my kitchen) and got $60K more than I paid two years ago. Homes are going far above asking price.

Give yourself enough time to find an apartment. There's a lot of competition because the supply is low.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It really depends where in Nepean -- Bells Corners, Barrhaven, Bayshore will all be different drive times, especially depending on the traffic. When you find some interesting apartments online, Google Map them to your work address.

I can't personally speak to rental prices, but I've been hearing people complain that a year ago they'd been able to find a nice place for $1200 and it's now over $2000. I bought my place in May 2017 and my neighbor just sold his place (which is an exact replica of mine except that I upgraded my kitchen) and got $60K more than I paid two years ago. Homes are going far above asking price.

Give yourself enough time to find an apartment. There's a lot of competition because the supply is low.
What website is popular for finding apartment rentals, in the past Craigslist has been good, but it varies from city to city. Also, going off Google Maps it shows 20 min drive (is that rush hour time?) from Glebe to Nepean, does that sound reasonable?

Last edited by bizkitgto; 08-12-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 11:50 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
A 20-minute drive to most parts of Nepean from any of the more central Ottawa neighbourhoods is probably realistic. Might be a bit shorter from Westboro than either the Glebe or Golden Triangle though.

Keep in mind that even though inner Ottawa to Nepean is going from downtown-ish areas to the suburbs, there can be quite a bit of reverse commuting traffic on the 417 going westbound (in the AM) and eastbound (in the PM).

A significant part of Ottawa's hi-tech cluster is in the west end end suburb of Kanata (a bit further out than Nepean) so lots of people commute in that direction.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
What website is popular for finding apartment rentals, in the past Craigslist has been good, but it varies from city to city. Also, going off Google Maps it shows 20 min drive (is that rush hour time?) from Glebe to Nepean, does that sound reasonable?
Google Maps will tell you the current commute time, so look it up during rush hour and you'll know for sure.

Craigslist is old and full of scams -- I wouldn't bother with it. Kijiji has the most traffic, and I think that people use Padmapper too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau