Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM

458 posts, read 613,167 times

Advertisements

Ok, the title just jumped at me, anywhoo....

Nothing sparks a debate like children/parental responsibilty. Having read several strong opinions(different forum) on the parents who were kicked off the Jetblue flight due to the tantrums of a 2-year old and several stories similar, I'm curious to know.....

Are you a parent or do you know a parent who allow their children to have "free range" in public? More and more we read about public places wanting to have a seperate area for children because parents allow children to 'behave' with little or no correction! There is nothing new about this topic but I am personally trying to understand.....Why?

Why allow a child to continually kick the occupied seat in front of them? why allow them to lean over the booth disturbing the patrons at a restaurant? why allow them to run up and down the aisles of a store, climb inside of carts, play with those heavy metal doors at the laundromat?

Certainly this does not apply to all. But for those who may be able to offer a different perspective(from my own) and some insight...please explain.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,518,114 times
I think you're misunderstanding the concept of free range parenting. I consider myself a free range parent...mostly. It means I don't freak out about leaving my kids in the car for 3 minutes while I pick up my dry cleaning. It means I let them play outside without constant supervision. It means I let my 7yr old use the stove with direction and my 5yr old cut his own food with a knife. It means I look at safety statistics before panicking and consider my job as a parent to raise competent adults.

It DOES NOT in any form mean that I allow my children to misbehave in public (or private). I would be considered a strict parent by most standards. I actually find most free range parents are "stricter" because we consider our children more capable than society in general considers kids. If you want freedom in my house you had better act mature enough to earn it.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,828,862 times
Some people are self-absorbed jerks. They don't teach their children to recognize the feelings of people around them because they don't recognize them either. Sometimes you might also be catching somebody on a really bad day, so what you witness might not be a testament to that person's character--it depends on what you see.

That's about all the "why" I can offer.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,609,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Ok, the title just jumped at me, anywhoo....

Nothing sparks a debate like children/parental responsibilty. Having read several strong opinions(different forum) on the parents who were kicked off the Jetblue flight due to the tantrums of a 2-year old and several stories similar, I'm curious to know.....

Are you a parent or do you know a parent who allow their children to have "free range" in public? More and more we read about public places wanting to have a seperate area for children because parents allow children to 'behave' with little or no correction! There is nothing new about this topic but I am personally trying to understand.....Why?

Why allow a child to continually kick the occupied seat in front of them? why allow them to lean over the booth disturbing the patrons at a restaurant? why allow them to run up and down the aisles of a store, climb inside of carts, play with those heavy metal doors at the laundromat?

Certainly this does not apply to all. But for those who may be able to offer a different perspective(from my own) and some insight...please explain.......
You are totally misinterpreting the concept of "Free-range parenting". It is not about no rules or no discipline at all, it is about giving children the tools to make decisions for themselves instead of continually making those decisions for them. Discipline would be a completely different topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...parenting.html

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,349,749 times
Tell-the-Truth....I used to think like you did...I thought "free range" equaled unrully, and poorly behaved...Now I realize that's not so....now I know that allowing your children to express themselves more, and make more of their own decisions at a younger age...has nothing to do with being undisciplined...as are the children you describe....I have indeed encountered many children such as the ones you talk of....I'm usually aghast..and feel VERY sorry for them....but not their parents.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Whoa!!!!

I didn't know "free-range" was an actual, used phrase with "real" meaning! Please forgive my ignorance. Wow, I thought I was being creative with my thread title............

back to the topic

Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Nice to know I learned something though

Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,414,877 times
We refer to children like those described by the OP as "feral", LOL

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Could some parents be concerned that disciplining or correcting or even spanking an unruly child in public may lead to authorities being involved? and that is why some won't correct?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,891,490 times
Some won't correct, because some aren't qualified to be parents, but chose to have children anyway.

Some -try- to correct, and they totally deserve credit for trying, even if their methods fall short of success.

Some succeed in correcting, and they get the accolades.

And then there are the rare families, whose children don't really need much correction, because they don't do anything outrageous (like trying to set Fluffy's tail on fire) or dangerous (previously mentioned fire, while in the garage next to an open, full gas can).

My parents fell solidly in the second category. They really did try. But I was demon-spawn. Attempts at discipline resulted in me, hands on my hips, challenging them "oh yeah? And you and what army are gonna make me?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting