Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 06:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,840,573 times

Advertisements

If something happened to your husband and you could no longer rely on his income, what's your plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 12:25 PM

402 posts, read 283,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If something happened to your husband and you could no longer rely on his income, what's your plan?
Always has to be one negative Nancy with a comment lol. I'm sure OP can worry about that herself and doesn't need a stranger or anyone else, for that matter worrying

OP stay home as long as you can. Sorry, but the BEST years of my left were as a SAHM moms when my kids were little. If given the chance, in a heart beat, I would quit working and stay home if I could. I've only been working a desk 9-5 type job for a little over a year, and honestly hate it. But I work from home so get cleaning and house stuff done while I am working. When a woman works outside the home, it's 2 jobs, not 1 job, don't let anyone else tell you differently.

Back in my old neck of the woods in NY it was very common for women to SAH even when kids were in school. In my new area, it's 50/50. If you come across the ones that express their opinion without you asking, maybe they wish they had the opportunity to stay home, but don't or they must be projecting some area of their life they dislike

Last edited by HeyYa80s; 07-04-2022 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-04-2022, 09:31 PM

435 posts, read 285,125 times
Quote:
Most of us have life insurance as well as other insurances. Some also have pre-nups. Many moms are flexible and willing to work part-time or full-time as needed. I’m not sure if you are suggesting the husband would divorce them and leave them penniless, become disabled, die, or lose his job. It really depends on an individual family’s situation how it would be handled, but most have a reasonable plan for the unexpected.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:41 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,107,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
When a woman works outside the home, it's 2 jobs, not 1 job, don't let anyone else tell you differently.
And why is that different to when a man works outside the house?

I have to admit I wish I had your level of perceived importance

Last edited by Athair; 07-04-2022 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 07:43 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,840,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
Most of us have life insurance as well as other insurances. Some also have pre-nups. Many moms are flexible and willing to work part-time or full-time as needed. I’m not sure if you are suggesting the husband would divorce them and leave them penniless, become disabled, die, or lose his job. It really depends on an individual family’s situation how it would be handled, but most have a reasonable plan for the unexpected.
All of those things. It's a very common scenario that women find themselves in when they let their skills lapse when raising kids. When I was staying home with my kids I always made sure to have a few clients on the side and worked toward a master's degree so we would never be vulnerable if our family's main source of income disappeared. I've seen the terrible results of those who don't.

Call it negative, I call it pragmatism.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:37 AM

984 posts, read 448,466 times
My kids are adults now, but when they were in school, I worked from home part time on a freelance basis. Some days, I would work a full day and other days, I'd work only a couple hours or not at all. I never had to miss school plays or games or those random daytime events/parties, and if they were home sick, it was not stressful for me to have to rearrange my schedule for a doctor's appointment or just snuggling a feverish child. Also, I could get the grocery shopping and most of the household cleaning done during the week, so weekends were relaxing and not busy with a ton of errands and chores. It was definitely the best of both worlds.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:07 PM

14,426 posts, read 11,896,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
And why is that different to when a man works outside the house?

I have to admit I wish I had your level of perceived importance
Seriously? If a wife is a stay-at-home mom, and she’s anything like me, she gets the housework and household chores done during the daytime. Then when her husband gets home, they can BOTH relax.

But it sounds like you’re assuming that a stay-at-home mother sits on her butt eating bonbons.

And yes, OF COURSE, if a wife works fulltime and her husband stays home with the kids, I would expect the same from him.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:10 PM

14,426 posts, read 11,896,976 times
Quote:
We had a comfortable amount in savings and a sizable life insurance policy on my husband.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,107,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Seriously? If a wife is a stay-at-home mom, and she’s anything like me, she gets the housework and household chores done during the daytime. Then when her husband gets home, they can BOTH relax.

But it sounds like you’re assuming that a stay-at-home mother sits on her butt eating bonbons.

And yes, OF COURSE, if a wife works fulltime and her husband stays home with the kids, I would expect the same from him.
No, I’m wondering why if a woman has a job, she defaults to “2 jobs”, while a man remains at “1 job”.

Seems like your opinion of men and the family unit in general is from the 1800’s. I assume you’re stance is that women do all the housework… which isn’t always true

Old 07-05-2022, 01:59 PM

984 posts, read 448,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
No, I’m wondering why if a woman has a job, she defaults to “2 jobs”, while a man remains at “1 job”.

Seems like your opinion of men and the family unit in general is from the 1800’s. I assume you’re stance is that women do all the housework… which isn’t always true
Not always, but most of the time. https://www.scarymommy.com/working-w...-hours-chores#

It's basically the same division of labor as in 1900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting