Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

O. M. G! You go out shopping, and look what happens on CD!

First of all, I agree with Zimbo, this is most definitely *NOT* news; this particular ditty has been going around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I work in the industry and none of my kids (who are teens and early twenties) are vaccinated with it.

I've never met a colleague who let theirs get it, either, though I'm sure there are some.

I've managed to reach my late 40s with a reasonably active sex life (multiple partners over the years) and my HPV screens are clear every single year.

I realize that HPV can cause problems for some people, but my opinion is that this vaccine is more of a question mark in terms of safety.

I approach these things with an eye toward the risk/benefit ratio. I'm not anti-vacc by a long shot. My kids have pretty much every other childhood vaccine, including the one for chickenpox.
I'd be interested in knowing what you do for "the industry". I'm an RN in pediatrics, both of my daughters have had the series, all the doctors in our practice whose kids are old enough have had it as well, including some who are quite conservative and belong to conservative churches.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not an anti-vaxxer and I wouldn't give a kid Gardasil.

Anyone who says the above is an anti-vaxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I most definitely am not anti vx. All 4 of my kids are vaccinated against diseases as they should be to attend public school. i have flu and pneumonia shots every year and am set to get shingles shot.
This Gardasil vax is very different to my mind. Childhood diseases are proven killers and without vax spread throughout the community. The Disney measles situation is a good example. But this Gardasil never did sit well with me. It is a big money maker and studies have shown dubious protection...at least relative to risks.

I do not generally trust big pharma. I've benefitted from it sometimes but definitely almost lost my life to it as Premarin almost killed me. That was when all docs were telling all post menopausal women to take HRT and to take it for the rest of their lives. A completely different story now. I know it isn't a vax but it is an example of overhyped benefits of a drug.
Again, anyone who says the bold is anti-vax. This is one of the most effective vaccines out there. The full series confers protection at nearly the 100% level. And the risks of cervical cancer are great. I've googled and posted links before; not going to do it again; you can do a search for my posts. About 1/3 of people who get cervical cancer die from it.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
you may not like the term but the entity certainly exists.

BTW I've had several doctors (including one just last week) tell me that many cancers- not all- could have been cured by now but the pharmaceutical companies are making so much money off chemo drugs they aren't about to shoot themselves in the foot.
That's BS. Chemo is supposed to cure cancer, or at least alleviate symptoms and extend life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
One of my friends from high school had her teenage daughter get it, the girl had serious complications and died.
I doubt it. There are no documented deaths from this vaccine.
Here Is How We Know Gardasil Has Not Killed 100 People - Forbes

Old 01-25-2015, 04:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
My daughter had it - she lived to tell the tale.

And "Big Pharma"? I have to admit every time I hear the phrase I do an inner "" - as it brings to mind conspiracy theorists who also believe we never really landed on the moon, the Holocaust never happened and 9-11 was staged by the U.S Government. Oh yeah, and that vaccines cause autism. Pfft.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 PM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
No one is in my family got that vaccine and I come from a family of doctors, nurses and other jobs related to the medical field. They just found it unnecessary. My best friend got it in high school had an allergic reaction to it. Another one of my friends got it and still got hpv (not cancer). I think its a waste but I don't have a family history of cervical cancer so we are probably very low risk. Then again, I haven't got a flu shot in the last 20 years and I barely every get sick. My son has all his vaccines (except the flu shot) and I herd they are recommending it for boys now he will definitely not be getting that.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
No one is in my family got that vaccine and I come from a family of doctors, nurses and other jobs related to the medical field. They just found it unnecessary. My best friend got it in high school had an allergic reaction to it. Another one of my friends got it and still got hpv (not cancer). I think its a waste but I don't have a family history of cervical cancer so we are probably very low risk. Then again, I haven't got a flu shot in the last 20 years and I barely every get sick. My son has all his vaccines (except the flu shot) and I herd they are recommending it for boys now he will definitely not be getting that.
Family history of cervical cancer has nothing to do with it. Having sex with someone who has HPV is the biggest risk factor for getting HPV, and subsequently, cervical cancer. Once you start having sex, you're having sex with everyone that person had sex with.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My daughter had it - she lived to tell the tale.

And "Big Pharma"? I have to admit every time I hear the phrase I do an inner "" - as it brings to mind conspiracy theorists who also believe we never really landed on the moon, the Holocaust never happened and 9-11 was staged by the U.S Government. Oh yeah, and that vaccines cause autism. Pfft.
Elvis is alive! I saw him at Kohl's this afternoon!

Old 01-25-2015, 04:46 PM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
This is alarming. I know we've discussed this here before and people have strong opinions on both sides. This is news.

Merck’s Former Doctor Predicts Gardasil To Become The Greatest Medical Scandal Of All Time | Collective-Evolution
What wonderful news and it should be flooded with other exposures. I know research results are skewed and important results that may negatively effect FDA-approval is left out on purpose. When I saw this idiotic "vaccine" pushed into the market, it became one more unscrupulous drug released into our heavily drugged (since the 1990s) society.

I watched cochlear implants and the development from nearly the beginning to now. It scared the heck out of me. I knew (yes, again) the results were misleading and then I learned they were bogus. My partner and I researched this as best we could over months and we both saw conflicting information posted.

I was in touch with a representative asking serious questions. When I asked her something, she deflected it and told me to look at the beautiful colors they come in (sorry, ended with a preposition). I was furious and reported her. At that time, I was 58 but treated like a three year-old.

I looked at a forum where I literally thought, "What's going on? People are on happy pills and in la-la land." (I didn't realize it at the time but it was owned by one of the three implant companies.) I had the surgery and apparently went on to the forum before passing out early. I honestly don't know why. I made a simple, sympathetic comment to a woman who was afraid of surgery. I agreed with her and that was it. Later, a moderator told me in a la-la way to remove my comment or they would do it for me. I had until 10 pm. I was asleep by 7 pm and my comment was deleted. So, I was reading data-scrubbed information. Companies that run websites can do what they want. This was an obvious case of keeping people in the dark to sell a very expensive product. The result is that now I'm exploring having it removed. I'd rather be deaf than deal with what a very good doctor at a very good hospital did to my ear.

So, bring on the blasted lawsuits and put a pharmaceutical or two out of business. With factual reporting, this would happen on its own. This won't be the greatest scandal of all time but
it could be a nice start.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
My grandfather died of throat cancer, and he was not a smoker. Some doctors now believe that throat cancer can result from HPV infection. All of my children, both the boys and the girl, have had or are in the process of receiving the Gardasil series.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:55 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
I'm not an anti-vaxxer and I wouldn't give a kid Gardasil.

This came about when my daughter was in 7th grade and her pediatrician suggested it...I just didn't feel it was necessary...Ten years later I don't regret my decision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting