Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 07:24 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wow there is a lot of advice here that is absolutely going to put a huge strain on the relationship with the daughter, if not end it, and send the daughter running into her mothers arms never to return.

There is more at play then smoking. It is a huge boundary issue with the daughter and mother. And scare tactics, legal fights, calling cps, etc is going to make it so much worse. Then mother and daughter get to form an allegiance to defend their addiction and relationship.

It's a crap situation...but the op is Going to make it worse by making it WWIII
I agree with this. It's NOT worth WWIII.

Dad, tell your daughter she's not allowed to smoke in your home. Get her a coffee can with sand in it, if she decides to smoke outside. (That can is for YOUR benefit. That way, she's not dropping butts all over your yard, or wherever it is she decides to smoke.)

If she reeks when she comes over, make her shower and change clothes. Your house, your boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 07:58 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I agree it's not worth WWIII.

I've always hated cigarettes. However, at age 15, there are bigger issues than smoking - real hard drugs, alcohol and pregnancy.

My cousin's daughter got hooked on prescription drugs ten years ago. After paying for two expensive rehab, she's still on drugs and will probably die in a gutter from an overdose. Count your blessings.

Instead, focus on high school courses and activities and college. Start researching colleges and planning visits. It's never too early to start.

Stay positive and keep looking forward.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:03 AM

538 posts, read 538,162 times
You do realize a first-time poster resurrected this thread from 2016.
See posts 39 and 40.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:17 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
You do realize a first-time poster resurrected this thread from 2016.
See posts 39 and 40.
Sheesh. No...I did not. LOL

Old 08-03-2022, 02:16 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,614 times
I wonder if she’s still smoking

Old 08-03-2022, 05:38 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
I wonder if she’s still smoking

She's drinking and smoking by now since she was 15 in 2016.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:12 PM

318 posts, read 176,677 times
Sigh. This is exactly why it's important to be smart about who you have your children with. I learned the hard way. I had 3 kids with someone who had none of the same values as me and a much different background. I was a 24-year-old in my 7th year of university who grew up on a farm, with parents who instilled in me strong moral principles, a moderately religious upbringing with plenty of responsibilities growing up. Prior to meeting my ex I was seeing someone with the same background as me and I was really into him. He dumped me to get back with his ex and the next guy to come around (a rebound) was a guy from a crime-ridden neighbourhood of a very big city, his dad had been a drug-dealer at one point, with 4 sisters who had all gotten pregnant as teenagers and he himself had been to jail twice and he smoked, swore a lot and was a high school dropout. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I guess I probably guess I fell for his "bad boy" persona and I got pregnant pretty much the first week we were dating. Ugh. I wish I could go back to 2008 and smack myself upside the head. I thought I had the power to change him into a better guy and I learned too late that that was an unrealistic idea. Of course we split up.

Trying to coparent with someone with far different values is an impossibility. The best you can do is keep your own rules for your child and control what she does when she is with you. You have zero control of what she does when she is at your exes and it is in your best interest to accept that. I realize this thread is from a few years ago but I think it's important for people to read threads like this and understand that that there's only so much you can control.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:58 AM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
That is terrible. You would think the mother would hope the kid wouldnt end up a chain smoker like herself. What a blatant disregard for her health.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:59 AM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateNortherner View Post
Sigh. This is exactly why it's important to be smart about who you have your children with. I learned the hard way. I had 3 kids with someone who had none of the same values as me and a much different background. I was a 24-year-old in my 7th year of university who grew up on a farm, with parents who instilled in me strong moral principles, a moderately religious upbringing with plenty of responsibilities growing up. Prior to meeting my ex I was seeing someone with the same background as me and I was really into him. He dumped me to get back with his ex and the next guy to come around (a rebound) was a guy from a crime-ridden neighbourhood of a very big city, his dad had been a drug-dealer at one point, with 4 sisters who had all gotten pregnant as teenagers and he himself had been to jail twice and he smoked, swore a lot and was a high school dropout. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I guess I probably guess I fell for his "bad boy" persona and I got pregnant pretty much the first week we were dating. Ugh. I wish I could go back to 2008 and smack myself upside the head. I thought I had the power to change him into a better guy and I learned too late that that was an unrealistic idea. Of course we split up.

Trying to coparent with someone with far different values is an impossibility. The best you can do is keep your own rules for your child and control what she does when she is with you. You have zero control of what she does when she is at your exes and it is in your best interest to accept that. I realize this thread is from a few years ago but I think it's important for people to read threads like this and understand that that there's only so much you can control.
Yikes.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:25 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's definitely true, like how the drinking age is 21 in the US, yet drinking is extremely common among 18-20 year olds. As a matter of fact, it's even common among people as young as 14-15.
Define common? 1 out of 100 14 yr olds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting