Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

Think about how much society would be improved if these kinds of activities were offered to teens. Some of us can afford to offer such experiences to our children but I would say most of the families in the communities with the most teen problems can't.

I think many parents overdo it with too many scheduled activities when kids are young but we are trying to keep our kids active, engaged, social and learning how to be a part of a team. By the time they are teens all these goals help tp keep them out of trouble and "naturally high."

Spend the money up front to keep teens busy and healthy instead of on the other end paying for addiction programs, juvenile courts and institutions, and all the costs to society for people unable to handle stress and lack of direction.

Iceland Knows How To Stop Teen Substance Abuse. The World Isn't Listening - Digg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Very interesting!

I've also heard a corresponding theory that kids who participate in sports and other extracurricular activities where they simply have to take a risk and challenge themselves, at varying levels, are less likely to engage in other less desirable risky behaviors like drug or alcohol use since they already are getting that "risk fix" in other ways.

It's not a cure-all, but it makes sense.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
I wish we did have more state sponsored activities for children. Sports, music, science, art, whatever the passion. I have a feeling we'll be seeing less soon, not more.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:00 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I wish we did have more state sponsored activities for children. Sports, music, science, art, whatever the passion. I have a feeling we'll be seeing less soon, not more.
Russia used to have this, until 1991. All free or dirt-cheap. Sponsored by local municipalities, which acted as extensions of the national government. Granted, these activities often had political propaganda tied in, but you gotta take the bad with the good.
(Source: conversation with a colleague)

Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Russia used to have this, until 1991. All free or dirt-cheap. Sponsored by local municipalities, which acted as extensions of the national government. Granted, these activities often had political propaganda tied in, but you gotta take the bad with the good.
My state provides public schools that offer all these.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Russia used to have this, until 1991. All free or dirt-cheap to any child or teen enrolled in school. Things like ballet, radio-controlled airplanes, painting, swimming, astronomy, martial arts, etc. Some places had community service as participation requirements, like cleaning the grounds of war monuments or reading books to veterans. The activities were sponsored by local municipalities, which acted as extensions of the national government. Granted, there was often political propaganda tied in, but you gotta take the bad with the good. Nowadays, these activities continue to exist---minus the politics---with even more varied choices, but they've been taken over by private for-profit entities, and most aren't cheap.

Edited to add: I think something glitched, my post seems to have gotten split into two.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-20-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 12:15 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Think about how much society would be improved if these kinds of activities were offered to teens. Some of us can afford to offer such experiences to our children but I would say most of the families in the communities with the most teen problems can't.

I think many parents overdo it with too many scheduled activities when kids are young but we are trying to keep our kids active, engaged, social and learning how to be a part of a team. By the time they are teens all these goals help tp keep them out of trouble and "naturally high."

Spend the money up front to keep teens busy and healthy instead of on the other end paying for addiction programs, juvenile courts and institutions, and all the costs to society for people unable to handle stress and lack of direction.

Iceland Knows How To Stop Teen Substance Abuse. The World Isn't Listening - Digg
Isn't this Common Sense 101 that Iceland has found out and that this story is touting?

Isn't it pretty common knowledge that you get vastly better outcomes (academic and non-academic) for most students if they are involved in clubs, sports, or after school activities that they really like and are encouraged to do well in?

The question is not whether to provide activities, but how to pay for them--especially in poor districts.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
My state provides public schools that offer all these.
Well that is good for your state. A lot of others are not providing extra funding for children to participate in after school programs such as organized sports, dance, music, art, or other such clubs and organizations.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:33 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well that is good for your state. A lot of others are not providing extra funding for children to participate in after school programs such as organized sports, dance, music, art, or other such clubs and organizations.
Exactly.

This is great in theory, but many states simply don't have the funding for these after school activities. They simply don't, and this is especially true now. These sort of activities cost money, which means the "at risk" youth are unable to benefit from these activities, due to lack of access and funds. The kids who come from families that can afford it, well, they have various options available to them.

My husband has talked about writing a grant to get funding to start an after school Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training program for local schools. But again... funding. The youth that could benefit most from this sort of activity simply can't afford it on their (parents) own.

We've both had similar ideas for after school workshops/program that explore creative writing and other artistic activities.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Whatever. If you have a child that's not interested in any kind sports or attending workshops, or social groups, then you cannot force them.

I tried my boys in all kinds of things when they were young. They plainly did not want to be there.

Good luck with that if you think you can force them to stay with something when they don't want to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting