Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 01:18 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,475,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/6507974002/

Why would anyone want to even think about having kids now, in light of the absolute turmoil the world has been in the last year?

I worry enough about gainful employment for just MYSELF, let alone ankle biters.

If I'm on edge about how I'll survive and pay my mortgage just worrying about myself, why on Gods Green Earth would anyone want to bring other dependents into this absolutely maddening and dysfunctional world, unless of course they are completely independently wealthy?

Seeing my sister and her kids (7 and 5) and having to take time off work since they are virtual learning makes me wonder what people are smoking by wanting to still have kids after the pandemic.

Don't even get me started on how backwards it is that the poor and undereducated have many more kids than those in the upper-middle class and wealthy. Soooo backwards to say the least.

Please DO explain!
well i have always wanted kids and i also want them so i can spend time with them and take them to do hobbies together like hunting fishing and camping and also because i am very family-oriented.

Last edited by C24L; 12-23-2020 at 02:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 03:11 AM

13,304 posts, read 8,542,633 times
Probably from a long term stance, now would not be the time.

Try getting into a hospital with a sick baby.
Try getting a Doctor appointment, or shots, or even some medicines.
Far and few options to attend to their medical side.

Then there is the economics- Loss of income.
Housing.
Education.
Sanity. Stress

And lets face it, some folks are not meant to be parents as much as they may "want" to be.

Recently watched a News Commentary on a Lady that has a four children. The youngest being 4 months old. What made the news interesting is: Her second child is battling Cancer. Bills out the wazoo. He has been battling this for two years. The amount of family hours devoted to his care is enormous. THe insurance and meds are sky rocketing. All it would take is her husband to be laid off and then what? Mortgage vs meds.
Having that choice to have kids at this time is not that difficult. You can delay ....and concentrate on the ones who are with you .

Old 12-23-2020, 05:22 AM

714 posts, read 727,501 times
If you don't want children, it is your right not to have them. Other people make different decisions. I'm not sure what the point of your post is, unless it's to try to justify a decision you've already made, but that you're not sure about.

Oh, and I don't think the dig at low-income people was either relevant OR necessary to the discussion. Just sayin'.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:20 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,645,073 times
I see a lot of kids getting spoiled by their parents who ae enjoying the time. A lot of kids with puppies. Who knows how many got kittens? Kids on new bikes are a common sight, often with their father or mother following not far behind.

There's a shortage of bikes and adoptable pets.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:42 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,426,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
No it isn’t archaic thinking.
When people try to push kids on you claiming you can't find true happiness unless you have them, then yes, it is archaic thinking.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:58 AM

8,833 posts, read 5,159,380 times
Quote:

Why would anyone want to even think about having kids now, in light of the absolute turmoil the world has been in the last year?

I worry enough about gainful employment for just MYSELF, let alone ankle biters.

If I'm on edge about how I'll survive and pay my mortgage just worrying about myself, why on Gods Green Earth would anyone want to bring other dependents into this absolutely maddening and dysfunctional world, unless of course they are completely independently wealthy?

Seeing my sister and her kids (7 and 5) and having to take time off work since they are virtual learning makes me wonder what people are smoking by wanting to still have kids after the pandemic.

Don't even get me started on how backwards it is that the poor and undereducated have many more kids than those in the upper-middle class and wealthy. Soooo backwards to say the least.

Please DO explain!
Ankle biters....yea, you shouldn`t , have any dependents. Just worry about yourself. You will be fine

Old 12-23-2020, 09:04 AM

14,426 posts, read 11,896,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Probably from a long term stance, now would not be the time.

Try getting into a hospital with a sick baby.
Try getting a Doctor appointment, or shots, or even some medicines.
Far and few options to attend to their medical side.

Then there is the economics- Loss of income.
Housing.
Education.
Sanity. Stress

And lets face it, some folks are not meant to be parents as much as they may "want" to be.

Recently watched a News Commentary on a Lady that has four children. The youngest being 4 months old. What made the news interesting is: Her second child is battling Cancer. Bills out the wazoo. He has been battling this for two years. The amount of family hours devoted to his care is enormous. The insurance and meds are sky rocketing. All it would take is her husband to be laid off and then what? Mortgage vs meds.
Having that choice to have kids at this time is not that difficult. You can delay ....and concentrate on the ones who are with you .
Just to answer one of your concerns, pediatricians are not currently overwhelmed with patients, and hospitals have plenty of beds for sick babies/children (those are kept separate from ICU beds for adults). In fact, pediatricians are begging parents to put aside their fear of Covid long enough to bring their kids in for their checkups and routine vaccinations.

To extrapolate from the rest of your post, apparently having children is always a bad idea because in the long term, no one knows what's going to happen in regard to the economy, jobs, housing, health, education, sanity, stress, or an alien invasion. OK! So don't have kids then. Your choice. But for heaven's sake stop judging the woman on the news for having another baby when one of her other children is sick. Her family is none of your business.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:09 AM

14,426 posts, read 11,896,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Ankle biters....yea, you shouldn`t , have any dependents. Just worry about yourself. You will be fine
I always thought the term "ankle biter" referred to a small, yapping dog, like a badly trained Chihuahua. Has anyone ever been bitten on the ankle by a child? I don't know about other people's kids, but when my kids were so small they were crawling around at ankle height, they didn't have teeth.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:14 AM

102,373 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Quote:

Why on Earth would people want kids, now that it's clear the planet is turning to toast? There's no future here, nor is there another planet we could invade, take over, and eventually trash. Yet, still, people are having kids. Seems kinda cruel.

IDK, OP, but you'd better be glad they're still having kids, because I'm guessing you're assuming your Social Security check will keep coming until you keel, and what will help guarantee that, is a steady flow of little worker bees feeding into the system.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:21 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Papafox has chosen to view the world as a madding and dysfunctional place. Because there's plenty of madness and dysfunction around him, that's the world he chooses to live in. But madness and dysfunction has always been there, as long as human beings have been on the planet. So have kindness, mercy, love, and altruism. Whether a person like papafox lives in a pointless and chaotic world to be responded to with extinction, or one with meaning that one brings children into out of love, is a choice - we create any darkness and hopelessness we see in life, and we can choose to create something more positive in the face of the pain and horror life throws at us.

“Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible.”

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

-- Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

We all suffer, we all die. What we choose to do with that suffering is up to us.
The book Enlightenment by Steven Pinker demonstrates that the world today is much better than in the old days. However, people now complain more than ever.

Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning: Great book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting