Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 06:21 PM

116 posts, read 105,178 times

Advertisements

I remember years ago when I worked as a Security Officer we had several very nice eating establishments with spacious patio seating.

It never failed to amaze me why the parents would sit down and eat and allow their children ( under aged 10) to leave the enclosed patio area and run around the property, play in the flower beds, etc....

Those were the days in which I was ready to resign. I got tired of telling the parents and children it's not appropriate behavior for the property.

I don't have any children so maybe there's something I'm not understanding about parenting.

Last edited by Tim McDaniels Sr.; 10-15-2021 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 12:16 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Boy you've stepped in it now, OP. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with your comment. But anytime these discussions come up online you will hear from a lot of defensive people. It seems a lot of folks think it is perfectly reasonable for a child to run around a restaurant (or grocery store or whatever) as if they were on the playground or at home.

Old 10-16-2021, 12:20 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
I refer to those children as free range kids.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McDaniels Sr. View Post

Why do people let their children go "unleashed"?

...... I don't have any children so maybe there's something I'm not understanding about parenting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Boy you've stepped in it now, OP. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with your comment. But anytime these discussions come up online you will hear from a lot of defensive people. It seems a lot of folks think it is perfectly reasonable for a child to run around a restaurant (or grocery store or whatever) as if they were on the playground or at home.
I believe the parents who think it's okay and allow it, the adults who get defensive about what are truly bad parenting skills ..... they're like that about their kids because they haven't matured yet. Mentally and emotionally they are not much different from kids themselves in their non-adult outlook about adult responsibilities.

Chronologically these overly-lenient, inattentive people may be adults in body but they're not yet fully responsible adults in mind, they're people who haven't grown up yet and don't have a lot of wisdom, self-control and self-discipline over their own selves. What can be expected from adults in their 20's, 30's, 40's who are basically still kids themselves? Kids can't parent and guide and govern other younger kids effectively when they don't know or understand how real parenting is supposed to be done. They haven't clued in yet to the social standards and responsibilities their society expects from adults.

So they let their kids run wild just like bad pet owners may let their dogs run wild through their neighbourhoods unleashed and out of their control. And just like kids these irresponsible parents will come up with hundreds of lame, immature excuses for why they allow their children to behave inappropriately and run unleashed and out of the parent's good control.

I think "free range kids" is a very astute and fitting term for the children of those kinds of parents.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-16-2021 at 01:31 AM..

Old 10-16-2021, 07:52 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
When I think of free range kids, I'm thinking of the ones who are responsible enough to walk to school or bike to the ice cream shop without adult supervision and behave well.

These wild, unsupervised kids are the opposite. Had so many at our store yesterday I thought there was a full moon. Touching and putting their mouths on everything, crawling under racks, moving things, throwing items, trying to sneak into the back employees' only area, racing and flailing around the glassware. There's a fine line I have to dance - don't want to make the parent mad but try to talk in a way like I'm helping watch their children - I'm just really trying to save the merchandise and prevent the kids from getting hurt.

Then you have to do the "so sorry" eyes to the other customers so they'll come back.

Thank goodness most parents actually watch their children.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Some parents avoid dealing with their kids because it is

1. easier
2. easier
3. they are more absorbed with whatever they are doing at the moment

I do not care for their parenting style, but whatever. Their life doesn't affect me and actually gives me something to talk about when we leave.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:15 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Some people don't care who their kids are bothering as long as their kids aren't bothering them.

Old 10-16-2021, 12:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
In the situation described, a restaurant, it's lazy parenting and self centered behavior.

It's not only people without children that are annoyed by it. When our children were young we always tried to go on dates nights to places where we weren't likely to run into children. We wanted a break from it.

As a patron I would have been glaring at the parents if the kids were bothering me. I'm reminded of a 4 hour flight when I put a stop to annoying kid behavior before the flight took off. Mother, father and 3 year old board and sit behind me. The little girl immediately stands up on the seat, starts jumping up and down in the seat and pulling on the back of my seat. Dad says to Mom, "She's so cute!" I stood up, turned around and said, "No, it's not cute that she's yanking and kicking the back of my seat." Dad was embarrassed and the kid was perfect the entire flight, happily preoccupied with what was outside the window and books. As we all stood up to deboard the plane I complimented the parents on her excellent behavior.

Last edited by rrah; 10-16-2021 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 03:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I believe the parents who think it's okay and allow it, the adults who get defensive about what are truly bad parenting skills ..... they're like that about their kids because they haven't matured yet. Mentally and emotionally they are not much different from kids themselves in their non-adult outlook about adult responsibilities.

Chronologically these overly-lenient, inattentive people may be adults in body but they're not yet fully responsible adults in mind, they're people who haven't grown up yet and don't have a lot of wisdom, self-control and self-discipline over their own selves. What can be expected from adults in their 20's, 30's, 40's who are basically still kids themselves? Kids can't parent and guide and govern other younger kids effectively when they don't know or understand how real parenting is supposed to be done. They haven't clued in yet to the social standards and responsibilities their society expects from adults.

So they let their kids run wild just like bad pet owners may let their dogs run wild through their neighbourhoods unleashed and out of their control. And just like kids these irresponsible parents will come up with hundreds of lame, immature excuses for why they allow their children to behave inappropriately and run unleashed and out of the parent's good control.

I think "free range kids" is a very astute and fitting term for the children of those kinds of parents.

Except when the "range" belongs to someone else, you don't get to decide the rules of its use.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:13 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Maybe it was the first time the parents were able to sit down that day?

I don't think the kids should have been playing in flower beds or destroying property but if there was open area to run on outside while parents ate, kids weren't too loud everyone was safe then I don't see the big deal. Sounds like there was more chaos happening from what you're describing.

It can be difficult for some kids to sit still for hour or two while mom and dad eat. I also see people complain when parents give their kids phones while at a restaurant. We usually do a mix of coloring and phone. Someday soon this will all be over with the little ones as they grow out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting