Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 07:23 AM

30,766 posts, read 18,486,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All that takes is a phone call.
My grand got hurt at an away ball tournament I was unable to attend. One of the attending parents took him to the ER. They call me for a verbal approval to treat him. I was not a LEGAL guardian but they didnt know that.
Yep. Hospitals don't seem to be checking birth certificates to prove legal guardianship. This only becomes an issue when there is a dispute over who is and who is not authorized to act as a legal guardian for decision-making purposes. And these disputes are not initiated by the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 AM

36,868 posts, read 31,147,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie White View Post
I see there are some side discussions here, but you can consider my matter closed. They had a great time, and the two high school age kids working the sign up booth for Midway Entertainment had no way of knowing I wasn't the parent of the kids
Glad you all had a good time.
You gave us a good discussion topic too.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 AM

325 posts, read 209,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

And this is a kid's ride we are talking about. It would be different if something was inherently dangerous and people knew the risk going into it. But there is nothing inherently dangerous about a kids zipline.

When I go packrafting in Alaska, I know the inherent risks and dangers when undertaking such an activity and I accept the possible outcome scenarios, but I do my homework, improve my skills and act as responsibly as possible under those conditions. I also know when felling a tree on my farm.. I know the inherent dangers involved. I also know there are inherent dangers in ziplines. Ziplines have been associated with ripped scalps because of caught hair, finger and arm injuries and even necrotizing fasciitis.

I never sign for someone else, I carry an umbrella liability policy, I don't let anyone do work for me unless I see their bonded and insurance paperwork and verify it myself...etc. People take way too much for granted and as a result have endured serious financial loss because they didn't dot their i's and cross their t's.

When an injury takes place, what happens next is frequently out of your control.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:51 AM

35,458 posts, read 17,360,890 times
Quote:
I'm watching my 12 year old niece and nephew (twins) through Sunday while my brother and his wife are out of town for a funeral.

They were dropped off at my place last night.

I'm taking them to the zoo on saturday(they've been fully vaccinated) and there is a junior zip line course that their parents said they could do, and they are very excited about it.

The problem is my dumb self didn't read the fine print until just now, and I see that the parents or legal (court appointed) guardians have to sign a waiver and actually be on site for a child to participate in the zip line.

Well I have never been the kind of guy to break his promises, especially when made to a child. So this got me thinking, would anyone really know?

After all, at the age of 31, I'm old enough to be their parent, I'm 19 years older than them. And when I've taken them for activities in the past, I've naturally been mistaken for being their parent on multiple occasions.

So what if I just fill out the forms myself, listing them as my son and daughter?

Then I give it to the zoo employees.

How do they know I'm not their dad?
I would think about marking up the release to say "with permission of" parents. I would not forge the parents' name(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Uncle Fred! Come watch, Uncle Fred!

I think you are taking a big risk. Is this the only time in there lives they can ride the zip line at the zoo?

Of course not.

A step-parent doesnt have a legal right to sign.

What if the line snaps and the child gets hurt and the parents want to sue. They might not be able to sue anyone but you because the kids were there fraudulently. They wouldnt have been there if you didnt forge the papers.
They couldn't sue anyone anyway....that's the purpose of the waiver.
Good points depending on the law of particular states. What I personally often do is mark up these "releases" to render them useless.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:45 AM

453 posts, read 307,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

And this is a kid's ride we are talking about. It would be different if something was inherently dangerous and people knew the risk going into it. But there is nothing inherently dangerous about a kids zipline.
California man sacrifices himself in zip line fall in heroic attempt to save woman

Old 11-06-2021, 09:38 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,388,635 times
Quote:
I'm watching my 12 year old niece and nephew (twins) through Sunday while my brother and his wife are out of town for a funeral.

They were dropped off at my place last night.

I'm taking them to the zoo on saturday(they've been fully vaccinated) and there is a junior zip line course that their parents said they could do, and they are very excited about it.

The problem is my dumb self didn't read the fine print until just now, and I see that the parents or legal (court appointed) guardians have to sign a waiver and actually be on site for a child to participate in the zip line.

Well I have never been the kind of guy to break his promises, especially when made to a child. So this got me thinking, would anyone really know?

After all, at the age of 31, I'm old enough to be their parent, I'm 19 years older than them. And when I've taken them for activities in the past, I've naturally been mistaken for being their parent on multiple occasions.

So what if I just fill out the forms myself, listing them as my son and daughter?

Then I give it to the zoo employees.

How do they know I'm not their dad?
This was about you not wanting to admit to screwing up and it could have been used as a lesson to kids who are old enough to understand and learn from it.

The lesson is dot your eyes and cross your t's, don't be sloppy like me. Instead you cheated to save face and be the cool uncle.

This was not good "parenting" from an adult in charge. It was a foolish risk.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:51 AM

36,868 posts, read 31,147,512 times
Kids zipline vs. man grabs onto women on zipline lets go 100ft in air.

I'm not seeing how these are related.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:17 PM

9,596 posts, read 5,383,248 times
I don't think it's right to fradulently sign for the parents for convenience sake.
Integrity is what you do when no one is watching......no matter how minor the matter (or how minor YOU think it is). Would have been a good opportunity to teach that to the kids.
Oh, well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting