Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times

Advertisements

Yes she is just way to too young to not have accidents. It could take another year.

If this is her pattern set your alarm for 2 hours then go in and wake her up and have her go potty.

And use the water resistant sheet pads other suggested.

Good for you for asking for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 09:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
She is not yet producing enough vasopressin, an anti-diuretic hormone, to remain dry all night. That's why some children wear diapers to bed long after they are using the potty during the day. It's really not her fault; her body isn't ready. In most cases, children produce enough vasopressin by age five to sleep dry all night consistently.

Right, she is female. So as it goes, the immediate assumption is that it is psychological. Poor thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The person said nothing about gender or it being psychological. They were talking about hormones every human has.

Response is to post 1

Your reply was not to the first post. Your reply was to the quoted reply by kj above. You quoted kj, saying right, she is female....

You can click the arrows in the quotes to go back to that post

Old 11-13-2021, 11:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris612 View Post
Hello. I am a single father. I have 2 daughters. My oldest, is grown. I raised her by myself. My little daughter is 2 years and 9 months old. Almost 3. She had been fully potty trained for a long time now. She never has accidents during the day at all. But at night, she will wake up every 2 hours and cry. I have a baby monitor camera complete with audio mounted on her bedroom wall, and the monitoring screen sits next to my bed in my bedroom. So every time she wakes up crying, she immediately wakes me up as well, which is no kind of fun. Her problem is not that she wets the bed. Let me make that clear, first of all. She completely understands that she should go potty in her potty training toilet. Before bed every night, I always bring her potty into her bedroom, and place it within 2-3 feet of her toddler bed. I always make sure she doesn’t drink any fluids at least an hour (if not more) before bed. I always give her a bath at night about an hour before bed. And, I read her a bedtime story each night before bed. Just to give you a clear idea of the nightly routine.

So, the problem is? That she simply refuses to get up, get out of her bed, walk 2 steps, and sit down on her toddler potty, and go pee at night. Instead? She just wakes up crying, then starts screaming as well. When I go into her room to ask her what is wrong? I always get the same response from her. “Potty”.

Uugh! She WON’T just get out of bed and go! She makes me get up and go into her bedroom and THEN after I tell her to get up and go potty? She’ll get up and go. Otherwise? She’ll just sit there crying and eventually, wet the bed.

She is extremely intelligent and very sweet and loves to learn. So why can’t she grasp such a seemingly sinple concept? I also show her every night, that her potty toilet is right there. And yes, she also has a nightlight in her room, so her bedroom is well illuminated. That is not the issue at all.

I’m doing everything a person is supposed to do. Yet, she won’t simply get up and go on her own. She would rather pee the bed, if I don’t wake up and go in her room to be there for her to go pee!

Please help!!!
Why are you using language here, especially in the title, in a forum visited by adults that is appropriate for a two year old?

Old 11-14-2021, 04:26 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This will pass. If it were me, I would get up and help her. She’s just scared to do it herself, but she will grow out of it. Children learn trust when their needs are met, time after time, even though it can be a pain sometimes.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:35 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This will pass. If it were me, I would get up and help her. She’s just scared to do it herself, but she will grow out of it. Children learn trust when their needs are met, time after time, even though it can be a pain sometimes.
I agree.

The OP is a single parent with his child is in daycare all day - nine hours a day. This is her way of saying it's too much time alone. She is disconnection from a parent.

It sucks being a single parents at work all day and then up all night (with potty issues). However, the child's needs aren't being meet.

Try cutting off all electronics when you are home with her. No TV and no internet and spend more time reading to her and interacting with her and see if that helps.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Honestly, everyone getting a good night's sleep is what is most important. She is very young. Just let her wear a diaper at night, it's totally normal at her age. If she wants to try to stay dry at night, then go for pull-ups or training pants, but at this age I wouldn't expect her to be consistently dry at night. She is still a toddler, let her be one! Wetting a diaper instead of using the potty because she is scared of getting up in the dark is totally normal behavior at her age, besides she probably wets in her sleep sometimes without knowing as well. She still needs protection either way. She will have plenty of time to be a "big girl", don't make her grow up so quick.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:32 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
After reading the whole thread, this looks to be more than a potty training issue, it looks like she also wants to spend more time with you and this may be her way of trying to get more of your attention.
That may be the actual issue here not necessarily just having to go potty.
Nevertheless, if it continues and with her being so young, I would consider going back to diapers or pull-ups at night for a couple of months ( if she agrees to it, don't force her to, especially if you think it may confuse her, explain its for sleeping only) so that both of you can get a good night's rest. It's more important for both of you. If she continues trying to wake you up at night even with the option of using a diaper or pull-up then you know that the attention is the main issue; that will be a harder problem to solve. I wish you luck and hats off to you on being such a great Dad. Working long hours and spending enough time with kids is tough even with two parent families, I can't imagine how hard it must be doing it alone.
I'm sure after a few months this issue will pass as she matures.

Just remember parenting toddlers is the EASY part, teens are a whole different game with much higher stakes. I've got teens and they generally want to avoid your attention not seek it, so enjoy it while it lasts!

Last edited by Port North; 11-15-2021 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting