Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 10:15 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,697,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Really so scouts use instagram rather than just show up at the rink these days to actually see someone in action? I actually know a few hockey scouts (and baseball) so I will check in with them to see if they frequently use instagram. Also they would be looking at high school kids, not 8 year olds.
Ask them if they look at potential players social media accounts at all.

Kid A and kid B are equally talented and both say they've been playing since they could skate.

Scout has instantly-available deep evidence of kid A's (and family's) commitment to the sport--photos of trophies, games, curated videos of great goals they were scoring even in elementary school. This is all available in their pocket on their phone. They can pull it out to show to coaches, trainers, etc. when discussing the prospect.

Scout does not have the same for kid B. He saw him play. Kid B looks just as committed to the sport on the field. His family seemed just as enthusiastic, his current coach says good things, but talk is cheap.

You tell me who gets the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 10:16 AM

16,326 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Ask them if they look at potential players social media accounts at all.

Kid A and kid B are equally talented and both say they've been playing since they could skate.

Scout has instantly-available deep evidence of kid A's (and family's) commitment to the sport--photos of trophies, games, curated videos of great goals they were scoring even in elementary school. This is all available in their pocket on their phone. They can pull it out to show to coaches, trainers, etc. when discussing the prospect.

Scout does not have the same for kid B. He saw him play. Kid B looks just as committed to the sport on the field. His family seemed just as enthusiastic, his current coach says good things, but talk is cheap.

You tell me who gets the position.
I guess I'll come back to this post in 8 or 9 years to let you know? By then most of the kids will have instagram accounts (or maybe something else will be the rage by then)

Old 06-02-2022, 01:14 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone should be treating an 8 year athlete as if they will one day become a professional athlete. That can be dangerous. How about just do the actual work and see what happens? As you said, if they are good, they will be good and be noticed. It happened for decades without social media.

I can see having an account in middle school/high school geared towards the sport of someone's choice. I am just shocked that parents have started doing this for 7 year olds many of whom have been doing that sport for like 2 years.
I'm not shocked. There are kids out there whose parents have propelled them to real levels of income using social media. Think Gabi Butler's (comeptitive cheerleader's) youtube videos from a young age.

BUT, not a snowball's chance in Miami would I do it. Not, nope, no, just, NO. Too many weirdos out there. And I'm not one that would be paranoid about never having any pictures of my kids FB or IG. But to elevate them on a pedestal on something devoted to them invites too many creeps.

What's the end game? Free skates/gloves/sticks? If they're paying for a kid to play in a Tier 1/AAA hockey league that's a pittance. If the kid's playing in a house league then they aren't getting any of those benefits anyway.

I think the reason parents do it is because they're projecting their own desires on their kids. THEY want to be insta-famous, influencers, paid to post online, and all the attention/adulation/accolades.

If the kid's talented, they'll get noticed assuming they're playing in the right venues.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:17 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
I can tell enough about an acquaintances kids based on their social media to know where they go to school, their hobbies, and enough other information that would make me uncomfortable if it was out there about the kids in my family. Even if your accounts are locked down, if you don't know everyone on your friend's list well, you have *no idea* where personal information about your kids could end up. There are at least a dozen people who I haven't seen in 15-20 years who post frequent photos of their kids and their activities that make me uncomfortable. They don't know me from Adam anymore, and yet I have the names, birthdays, schools, sports teams, performing arts groups, and more of a couple dozen kids, plus the workplaces and other publicly available info about their parents.

Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want enough information out there publicly about a child that a predator could use for either in-person or digital grooming. Not to mention the concern about children's photos being owned by social media sites before they can consent.

Last edited by charolastra00; 06-02-2022 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 03:50 PM

16,326 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Yeah it is odd to me that these parents are ok with exposing the kids but it seems like they want them to be ‘celebrity’ for their age in this sport. The kids I’m thinking of have successful parents in their own careers so it’s hard to understand why they feel the need to go this route with their kids. Perhaps they are just huge attention seekers.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:01 PM

89 posts, read 104,465 times
You should see the instagram accounts that parents create for their little gymnast "superstars". Starting as young as 4 or 5.. I've seen some with 30K+ followers. 5 year old brand ambassadors for a leo company! I think it's crazy and kind of disgusting that these parents are exploiting their kids for free leos or just for attention. And most of the followers are not people I'd want looking at photos or videos of my young daughter in a leo. Ugh, it's crazy. My daughter has a private instagram where she's posted a few sports related videos, but she is 14 and it is for recruiting purposes. She only accepts follow requests from those she knows or from coaches.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:53 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
My son plays hockey, he just turned 8. I have noticed this year that quite a few parents have created an instagram page for their 7 or 8 year old (in some cases 6 year old) that documents their hockey life. Which teams they play for, which tournaments they're in, highlights of the kid in a game. Some of the accounts of kids in Canada have the kids being brand ambassadors for certain brands and a few kids have 3k followers. I can't imagine how or why a 7 year old could have so many followers.

Is this the new thing for getting your kids popularity in a sport? I guess Im old school in that I think what they actually do on the ice or playing field is what should matter.

Does this seem safe/unsafe? or just a way to boost the parents ego?
It seems incredibly stupid. Definitely an ego thing. Don't follow stupid people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
At that age, about the only thing that should be up to the child is what flavor ice cream they want.
Exactly.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:20 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
My son plays hockey, he just turned 8. I have noticed this year that quite a few parents have created an instagram page for their 7 or 8 year old (in some cases 6 year old) that documents their hockey life. Which teams they play for, which tournaments they're in, highlights of the kid in a game. Some of the accounts of kids in Canada have the kids being brand ambassadors for certain brands and a few kids have 3k followers. I can't imagine how or why a 7 year old could have so many followers.

Is this the new thing for getting your kids popularity in a sport? I guess Im old school in that I think what they actually do on the ice or playing field is what should matter.

Does this seem safe/unsafe? or just a way to boost the parents ego?
While I cannot speak for a kid as young as 7 or 8, my daughter has had a soccer only instagram page since she was 12. One of her coaches recommended it as it helps with recruitment to elite teams and in turn college. It was something we used a lot in helping her get onto an elite regional team. Now she is getting ready to go to college. She was heavily recruited, and her instagram page was certainly a large part of that process. All of the athletes considering even Division III colleges have instagram pages in high school. the Division I recruitment starts freshman year, at least in women's soccer. Its a fascinating world.

One caution for US athletic students. In HS, you have to be VERY careful about Brand Ambassadorships related to sports and the impact it has on NCAA eligibility. The NIL rules that the NCAA applies are in a state of flux. But some of these deals can break the rules, meaning scholarship money can be lost. Before doing it, I would talk to any school they may be interested in and discuss it. The Div I schools all have NCAA resource officials who can help. It would be terrible get some free clothing and money from a sporting wear company and have it ultimately cost a scholarship or eligibility. More is allowed every year recently, but who know what will happen.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:18 PM

401 posts, read 275,771 times
Um no. Please explain to me any valid reason an 8 year old needs social media? Did any of us have this posting on there? There's your answer..

Old 06-05-2022, 01:25 PM

401 posts, read 275,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCaryMom View Post
You should see the instagram accounts that parents create for their little gymnast "superstars". Starting as young as 4 or 5.. I've seen some with 30K+ followers. 5 year old brand ambassadors for a leo company! I think it's crazy and kind of disgusting that these parents are exploiting their kids for free leos or just for attention. And most of the followers are not people I'd want looking at photos or videos of my young daughter in a leo. Ugh, it's crazy. My daughter has a private instagram where she's posted a few sports related videos, but she is 14 and it is for recruiting purposes. She only accepts follow requests from those she knows or from coaches.
Living their un-fullfilled childhood through little princess or prince
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting