Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 07:03 AM

585 posts, read 496,210 times

Advertisements

My nephew is almost 2 and his mom thinks he is showing early signs of autism. I think he seems ok but neither of us are experts. He repeats certain words. Like he loves bubbles and just says the word over and over again until he finds a new fixation. It would probably concern me if this was the only word he is saying but he knows most things. I point to something and he will say what it is. Another thing that concerns her is how he is so aware if something like if his sock isn’t on right. He will keep fussing and fussing if it isn’t positioned perfectly. I noticed it the other day and took it off to fix it. He cried when I took it off. Then when I put it back on he was fussing again. I fixed it and he was fine. He had a zippered jacket on and it was warming up outside and his mother unzipped it. He was really bother by this and starting trying to hold his jacket together as if to say please zip it. I think this is all part of growing up? He is very engaging for the most part. But sometimes she has trouble with him. Randomly he will only wear certain shoes and cry’s if any he can’t wear them. He is outgoing at home but at daycare he likes to play alone. Doesn’t totally engage with the other kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 07:10 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,611,902 times
What does the pediatrician say?

Old 06-13-2022, 07:28 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
What does the pediatrician say?
This. Children develop at different paces. Does he make eye contact? Does he respond to his name? A child generally has to be around 3 years old for a reliable diagnosis.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:30 AM

3,156 posts, read 2,707,085 times
Get an evaluation. It can't hurt and it's probably a free service provided by your local social services.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:41 AM

249 posts, read 237,975 times
Sounds like he might be autistic. I’m waiting to be assessed myself (I’m 40!) and I suspect my 4 year old is as well, although no one else has picked up on his subtle signs which sound a lot like your nephew.

Early diagnosis and access to therapies is great, but anything related to ABA therapy techniques is traumatizing to the autistic people undergoing them. In spite of this, they’re still the gold standard for “treatment” of autism.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
For some balance, here's the story of my oldest daughter.

She is nearly 40. She is not autistic.

When she was a baby and then a little girl and then a GROWN UP, she was always, always sort of fixated on her shoes and her socks. In fact, long story short, she actually went barefoot down the aisle on her wedding day because she became so fixated on how her shoes felt.

The more important the occasion, the more she would fixate on how her shoes felt on her feet. Or her socks - were they straight? Were they seamed? If so, was the seam straight?

She was also terrible to ever go shopping with. She has a cute figure and she always has. She always looked good in her clothes from what I could tell, but OMG she was THE PICKIEST SHOPPER EVER. Horrible.

She drove me crazy sometimes but it was an ideosyncrasy, nothing more.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:06 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Does he point at objects he wants?

Does he carry around objects for extended periods of time?

Is he a picky eater?

Does he play with other children?

Old 06-14-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Does he point at objects he wants?

Does he carry around objects for extended periods of time?

Is he a picky eater?

Does he play with other children?
I don’t think so. He loves basketball and wants someone to play it with him also loves drawing. Sometimes when I come in he hands me a piece of chalk and points to the blackboard or tells me to sit on the floor and play with blocks. Sometimes he will point out something. Like I’ll come in and he will point to his mother and say mama or point to to the window and say outside.

Somewhat. He loves certain things and will ask for more. If he doesn’t want something he will occasionally throw it on the floor or spit it out.

He seems to like to play by himself or observe but he does hug other children and they hug him. He seems very sweet with them.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:50 AM

21,920 posts, read 13,004,619 times
There are lots of videos on YouTube about spotting early signs of autism. I think it's something people are more -- almost too -- conscious of these days. I remember pointing out, after studying it in a college developmental psychology course, that a child of my acquaintance wasn't speaking at all by age three (when he did begin speaking, it was echolalia), was flicking his fingers and walking on tip-toe, avoiding eye contact, etc.

The mother insisted he was just shy and became furious with me. Now we know better.

But not EVERY introverted or slightly delayed child is autistic; the pendulum has swung!

Old 06-14-2022, 11:10 AM

He does walk on his tip toes sometimes
But he seems very smart. He will name most things I point to. I tell him to draw someone and he will scribble and point and say the name I asked him to draw. But then sometime he won’t and will just kind of stare or get distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting