Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 07:05 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

There is something I realized later in life. That is that smart people rise to the top, regardless of the work they do. I used to think all smart people only belonged in medicine, science or math and engineering. But the more I experienced the world, I came to meet brilliant people in the arts and business.

One old guy I met had only gone to high school, but he had a knack of finding the worst buildings in the worst part of town and sitting on them until he could sell them for a lot of money. He’s a genius and he’s a multi millionaire, retired in Florida now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 12:39 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
One of my favorite quotes:

Stephen Vizinczey — 'Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it.'

Old 09-09-2022, 10:25 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My coworker made his sons go to college. He was the son of immigrants, worked his way through college, wanted better for his sons, etc. His older son is a teacher, but his younger son played the saxophone and worked in restaurants, food stores, etc., despite his degree so he could play gigs with a band. He'd go to Mexico and play for a month at a resort, or do a similar gig in Europe for a while. His dad got a bit frustrated because he wanted him to settle into a "real" job.

As time went on, though, and my friend became more disillusioned with our own political/corporate workplace, he told his son, "I'm sorry I pushed you to do something else. Follow your heart. If music is what you love, do it."

Neither my ex or I have college degrees, but our kid loved school and started talking about college when she was 10. Then I thought she'd never stop. She kept going back, teaching here and there, working in restaurants, and driving Lyft and Uber. Got her PhD this year and now has a big girl job. She's finally done with school at 31 lol.
I am the son if immigrants too. I was not born in the USA and have uber appreciation for my parents gving up everything and risking everything coming to a new country. People who do that have done much more than I ever have.

Anyway, I was 30 when I finished my formal education and my wife was in her mid 30's. We both still live like immigrants (i.e. no fancy cars, no fancy vacations, etc.) - a very practical and austere life. We want for nothing and fancy things (like a big home or fancy cars) make us uncomfortable. We can afford that stuff but it doesn't feel like us. So, our money is just invested for our kid to use as a downpayment on a house or his education, etc.

I am actually in the planning phase of investing a bit and starting a side gig of a nonprofit that donates heating fuel to places like women's shelters and the like. Thought being that there are many orgs that donate food but heat is also something that is very nurturing and comforting to those in need. We'll see how that goes, it's been pretty time consuming so far and I've not even done much yet.

Best of luck to us all!

Old 09-12-2022, 06:56 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
My hair guy makes good enough money to live in a nicer house than me in a more expensive nearby town, so...

Old 09-16-2022, 02:14 AM

6,861 posts, read 4,856,991 times
My DH had a childhood friend that didn't graduate from highschool but was crazy about cars. When my DH came back from four years in the Navy, he found his friend owned two car repair shops.

Perhaps OP's daughter will have her own shop or spa. The person that cuts my hair owns the salon and rents spaces to several stylists, a couple manicurists, a massage therapist, and someone that does facials. Not taking her rental income in to account, judging by what I pay for my hair, I figure she's making 200 dollars an hour. And she also has various hair products for sale. So she's bringing in income from a lot of different angles. She also sets her own schedule.

Now if your daughter just goes to work at a chain hair salon it's probably be not going to pay well.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:49 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
If your daughter thinks she might want to be a hair stylist, help her find out if this career might be a good fit.

Do you know a stylist who would let her "job shadow," watch her work, ask questions, etc. for a week?

Is an internship possible? Is she old enough to work doing shampoos, receptionist, cleaning, etc.

I think you need a GED and be 16 to get licensed, but can she take cosmetology courses at the local community college?

The only real way to find your passion in life is to try a few things out. This sounds like a good one to me.

So many 16 year olds are so ready for the world. I'm not sure why we keep them from experiencing it. It's not like she can't go to school and do hair. It's kind of the ideal gig for scheduling your work around classes.

I'd would encourage her to search out stylists who are know for their hair coloring. Ask them to teach her. People who are good at what they do generally are happy to help others learn.

She might find something else she likes more, or this could be what she loves to do for a living. Either way, it will be a good experience in the world.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting