Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 05:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
In my town there aren't many if any immigrant kids that have caused a population increase.
Well, that's your town. How else do you explain increasing school enrollment with a declining birth rate (assuming both of those things is true)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 05:51 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, that's your town. How else do you explain increasing school enrollment with a declining birth rate (assuming both of those things is true)?
Oh, i'm sure it's immigration. Glad it's not happening in my town. Public schools are already stretched thin

Old 05-17-2023, 07:23 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I just read the the national average for babysitting is $21 an hour.

Can that be true? When I was in school, seemed to me that babysitters were paid about half of the minimum wage.
That's wild. Babysitting should be minimum wage at the very most. No way would I ever pay such a ridiculous amount.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:35 PM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times
My daughter used to babysit when she was in high school (she just finished her first year of college now). She didn't have a rate, she would take what people offered and it was usually about $25 an hour. So I can see where the average might be $21. The problem with babysitting work, at least for a teen sitting for parents going out for the evening, is that the work is few and far between and usually only on weekends. So in my daughter's case, she's not looking to sit anymore because of that. She just got home from college a few days ago and is focusing on applications at places that pay minimum wage but offer steady hours (so she will make more over the summer). So maybe babysitting wages are higher because of that.

I have to wonder, are daily babysitters cheaper? For example, if someone came over after school every day, all week for 2 hours or so, made sure the kids get homework done, make dinner, and clean up, etc. Do they charge less since it's steady work? Or do they also ask for $20+ an hour?

Edited to add (since it's important), we lived in a high cost of living area when she was in high school. So that was a factor too.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 05-17-2023 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 09:22 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I can't imagine expecting a baby sitter to make dinner. Seems like that would demand a higher wage.

I would be hesitant to trust a teenager with babysitting young children.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:51 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I can't imagine expecting a baby sitter to make dinner. Seems like that would demand a higher wage.

Babysitting starts at age 12 - at least it did when I was that age. And there are many many 13-14 year olds in my neighborhood that babysit. Kids are able to take care of their younger siblings at that age, why not babysit? Personally I never cared for babysitting - I didn't like kids at that age LOL. I was 15 when my sis was 12 and she was babysitting every night.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:22 AM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

That never happened to my daughter, but making dinner is routine for babysitters who watch kids after school until the parents come home in the evening. I did this for a family back when I was a senior in high school. I worked for two doctors and it was expected for me to pick up the kids from school, bring them to any practices, make sure they got homework done, and get their dinner started. The parents usually came home as the kids were eating or just finishing dinner, and then I would leave. It’s been so long and I don’t remember how much I was paid.

As for teenagers, watching young children, it happens. My daughter babysat a four year old and his baby brother fairly regularly back when she was in high school. The baby was easy— feed and change diapers and let him sleep. The four year-old was rambunctious and not so easy. Those parents paid fairly well too. When my daughter was little herself, I hired a neighborhood teen to babysit when I needed it. Said teen was also a pool lifeguard.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:19 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Babysitting starts at age 12 - at least it did when I was that age. And there are many many 13-14 year olds in my neighborhood that babysit. Kids are able to take care of their younger siblings at that age, why not babysit? Personally I never cared for babysitting - I didn't like kids at that age LOL. I was 15 when my sis was 12 and she was babysitting every night.
I recall babysitting at 9 for neighbors and cousins. I was probably getting paid $10, lol. I really liked kids/babies at the time and enjoyed it. Are young people no longer excited to spend time with a baby/toddler anymore? I guess when I was babysitting I didn't often consider it a job.

The one time it felt rough was when I was 14 I babysat a 4 yr old, 2 yr old and a baby. It was summer, it was hot, two cried a lot, one ran away and thought it was funny frequently and they were a PITA. They were cousins and I don't recall how much I was getting paid but I do remember being happy when it was time to leave.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:40 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Like many who are over 30, I started babysitting at 12 or 13, and was a mother's helper before that. It seems like most people don't trust middle schoolers to watch their kids for hours anymore, so you can't expect to pay middle school rates. If a sitter is watching your kids on a Friday or Saturday night, they could be waiting tables and picking up tips on the same evening. It doesn't make sense for them to give up a whole night for the pay they would get for an hour of work elsewhere.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:22 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I just read the the national average for babysitting is $21 an hour.

Can that be true? When I was in school, seemed to me that babysitters were paid about half of the minimum wage.
15 - 20 years ago I paid a lot more than minimum wage. I paid $15 an hour in the 2005ish period. I can believe that $20 is about right now. But like any other task, negotiate and pay what you think is right. It may be a situation where you get what you pay for. If the market for a good babysitter is $20, and you offer $10, you may not get a very good sitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting