Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You More Concerned These Days About Your Kids?
Definitely Yes 10 29.41%
Emphatically No 13 38.24%
A little bit, but not a big deal 4 11.76%
We are all crazy now, so who knows 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 03:13 PM

1,224 posts, read 545,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Every time someone starts bellyaching about how kids these days don't want to get a drivers' license, my reply is "Can you blame them? Have you seen how people drive these days? I wouldn't want to learn either on these streets."

I often see groups of kids walking along the road, and OMG they never look both ways, they just step out to cross busy streets like they are the only ones in the world. Especially teenagers. Almost makes me never want to let my kid go hang with his friends (at the very least, will be a significant source of worry for me when he arrives at the teenage years).
I remember seeing one of my kids riding a bike with no hands while texting on a cell phone. I was mortified. That was years ago - just saw another kid doing it - this is what (some, most?) kids do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 01:59 PM

835 posts, read 480,061 times
To me, the more important question is not if parents have more concern, but whether such concern is justified and sensible. A lot people have major concern for issues, situations, etc. where the potential for something bad to happen is either self-invented or exists only in their mind.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
To me, the more important question is not if parents have more concern, but whether such concern is justified and sensible. A lot people have major concern for issues, situations, etc. where the potential for something bad to happen is either self-invented or exists only in their mind.
My only interest regarding this question is if parents are more concerned about their children since the pandemic, or not. No other factors are considered for this poll.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:51 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,763,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
My only interest regarding this question is if parents are more concerned about their children since the pandemic, or not. No other factors are considered for this poll.
I would have to say no. Not sure why/what we would be more concerned about. Life has continued on for all my children and grandchildren. The two in CA were impacted most of all with the longest in person school shutdowns, totally unnecessary, but they are both very smart and caught up. The rest of the grandkids were back in school and sports by September of 2020. We also have had 4 grandkids born since 2020, all doing fine.

Probably the only concern is my grown daughter who had myocarditis after her va$$ince. Hopefully it hasn't caused any long term damage.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:03 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
The problem is you can't just say "since the pandemic" without including the causes and events around the pandemic. If it were just a date marker, you could ask "are parents more concerned about their children since 2011" or any other random date. Because the natural corollary would be "why are the more concerned?" The use of "since the pandemic" in the question implies the pandemic and the events around it would be the cause for any increased concern. Meaning they are legitimately part of the discussion.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I would have to say no. Not sure why/what we would be more concerned about. Life has continued on for all my children and grandchildren. The two in CA were impacted most of all with the longest in person school shutdowns, totally unnecessary, but they are both very smart and caught up. The rest of the grandkids were back in school and sports by September of 2020. We also have had 4 grandkids born since 2020, all doing fine.

Probably the only concern is my grown daughter who had myocarditis after her va$$ince. Hopefully it hasn't caused any long term damage.
The bolded makes me think a lot of parents must be in denial. That statement is completely absurd.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The problem is you can't just say "since the pandemic" without including the causes and events around the pandemic. If it were just a date marker, you could ask "are parents more concerned about their children since 2011" or any other random date. Because the natural corollary would be "why are the more concerned?" The use of "since the pandemic" in the question implies the pandemic and the events around it would be the cause for any increased concern. Meaning they are legitimately part of the discussion.
Duh.

Things happened and the world is different now.

I'm wondering how kids are doing and what the perceptions of parents are about the health and well-being of their progeny.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:23 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,015,595 times
Quote:
The bolded makes me think a lot of parents must be in denial. That statement is completely absurd.
Speaks volumes to how this post was never an innocent open minded poll.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:24 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,015,595 times
Quote:
Duh.

Things happened and the world is different now.

I'm wondering how kids are doing and what the perceptions of parents are about the health and well-being of their progeny.
Please share a period of time when the world never changed.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:04 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
We did our best to teach family kids how to make the best of a given situation. Adaptability, ability to entertain themselves, concern for others, etc.

Life will always have rough patches and there is no way to avoid that. The pandemic period was something new, and did take our family community to weather it as unscathed as possible. I feel we succeeded. I see nothing to be in denial about.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting