Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2023, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 19,794 times

Advertisements

So every year or so there is a story about a girl playing (American) Football on an all male team. So I guess it's not unknown, but still newsworthy. And currently there is a girl who plays on our all male high school hockey team. My daughter wants to play lacrosse, but while there several boys teams around, the girl's team folded.

Has anyone had their daughter play an all male sport? Would you let her? If so, how did it go? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 11:51 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
My daughter plays hockey and while girls have been playing hockey for a while it does still seem to be more male dominated in a sense. She is only 7 now and plays on a co ed team. I've seen some girls that continue to play with boys as they get older. Some people think they get better playing with the boys. I am not sure what will happen in our case yet but so far it's been fine.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Not me, but my father coached a little league baseball team, and had one girl on the team, in Lafayette, California.
She pitched and was the best player on the team, but her father was on the A's coaching staff. That was a while ago, about 1985.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:10 PM

423 posts, read 266,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_Bug28 View Post
So every year or so there is a story about a girl playing (American) Football on an all male team. So I guess it's not unknown, but still newsworthy. And currently there is a girl who plays on our all male high school hockey team. My daughter wants to play lacrosse, but while there several boys teams around, the girl's team folded.

Has anyone had their daughter play an all male sport? Would you let her? If so, how did it go? Any advice?
It sounds fine to me. I would let my daughter do that, and I’m pretty protective in general.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:44 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,151,445 times
Quote:

My daughter is now in college playing soccer. She grew up playing on multiple boys teams. It was rough sometimes watching her take some targeted rough play as a teen, but she became a better player for it all.

Lacrosse is a little different as the two are VERY different sports. The rules and the equipment are not close to the same. I likely would not have let my daughter play male youth lacrosse, but to each his own. Male lacrosse allows checking and full padded hits. Once they hit about age 10, the hormonal distinctions create denser bones, great muscle mass, and weight. The older than puberty a person gets, the greater this distinction. Good luck, difficult discussions and decisions.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:25 AM

977 posts, read 536,563 times
Quote:

When my oldest daughter was in 3rd grade she and her friend wanted to play soccer. In our small town there were no girls soccer teams in the youth league and the age group she was in had no one who would volunteer for the boys team so I volunteered to coach the boys team and let girls play. We had 4 girls on the team. I was lucky one girl's father (and her brother was also on the team) was Colonel at Ft. Bliss and he volunteered to help teaching defense but he couldn't always come to the practices, it was help though and he choose the girls to be the defenders. I also had a college kid that had been playing soccer since he was 5 that helped teach the kids strategy and skills while I learned the rules of the game. The age was under 10 which was 8 and 9 year olds. It was a good expereince for all of us. My sister helped coach the under 6 team which was 4, 5 year olds. Hilarious to watch their games.

Later we moved and I had a job that I couldn't take time off for helping the kids sports, my younger daughter was on a girls soccer team and it was awful. The coach spent more time worrying about the bows in their hair (which they were not supposed to have).

My neice played soccer since she was 4 and she was often on a boys team. When she was older she was on a girls team that disbanded so she played on the boys team. She was about 13 then and it was unusual at that age, but she was really good and was goalie sometimes. Then she got to high school and played on the girls team. She learned her best skills playing on the boys team. I don't recommend girls playing on a boys soccer team over the age of 11 though, unless they are really serious about the game.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:08 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
If my daughter could compete with the boys in her age group then absolutly. Seems to be pretty few and far between though, unless you are talking 3-5 year olds then I don't see any reason why girls and boys couldn't play together since everyone is still learning the basics. My son does soccer, basketball, and track and out of all of the league games, tournamants, etc I don't recall ever seeing him play against any girls. There was one time when he played in a soccer tournament and it was his U11 boys team vs a U12 girls teams. It was 8-0 at the half and the boys coach wouldn't let anyone take a shot for the whole second half to not run up the score. A lot of unhappy parents on both teams to say the least. In modified track for the sake of time they would have the boys and girls run the longer distance races together and a lot of times the fastest girl would beat some of the slower boys. But they still weren't technically racing against each other, just racing at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting