Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Does it really matter how they are dressed?
My mom did that with us 60 years ago... it's nothing new!

You can ask your nephew and his wife why they do it.
Same here, but in our case 66 years ago. I was one of 9 kids, but in the late 1950s there were 5 of us, when we went to Disneyland. Our mother sewed a lot of our clothes then, and for the trip she made us all red and white striped shirts, the idea being that we would be easy to spot if one got separated. Unfortunately, that year, Walt decided that all of the park staff would wear the same red and white striped shirts.

Since then we never wore the same matching clothing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 08:47 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,134,761 times
I don't see this at much anymore. The only exception is if they are identical twins. I have twins but fraternal and they don't look alike. We used to dress them in the same outfits when they were infants/toddlers simply because it made the dressing and clothes shopping choice easier. 1 decision for both. They are a handful so any way to make things easier is welcomed.

Some parents find it cute. I don't see anything wrong with it up to when the kids reach a certain age.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:09 AM

14,374 posts, read 11,769,729 times
I have two older sisters and my mom used to sew our dresses. She often made two or even three all the same because it was easier to buy just one dress pattern and pick just one fabric. Being the youngest, I had to wear the dress she'd made for me then eventually the ones my older sisters had outgrown, but I was not very clothes-minded and didn't care.

We have pictures of us all in Disneyland in our matching red print dresses with white rick-rack trim. Circa 1973.

I have two daughters and didn't dress them the same, but I don't sew and I handed everything down from the older to the younger. I rarely bought anything new for both of them at the same time. But it doesn't bother me a bit if others do the matching outfits. Now at ages 20 and 23, they have their own styles but still borrow each other's clothes frequently.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:09 AM

5,687 posts, read 3,185,814 times
when kids reach a certain age, they develop their own tastes, and they make it real clear when they don't want to do something anymore.

I have a niece, her mother sewed the cutest, most feminine pretty little dresses for her. She got to a certain age...for her, 8 or 9 years old, and all she wanted to do was wear camo, tshirts, and boots. Her mother found it easier to say "Wear what you want during the week, but on Sunday and special occasions, you'll wear a dress." It was a compromise they both could live with.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,694 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I have a friend who is in her 30s that dresses her three girls alike, and she matches them. I think it's cute. Her kids want to match her, and they all enjoy doing it. You're only young once. Make the memories. Take the pictures. You can see it as "show", but I assure you, they don't care what you or anybody else thinks.
I agree. It fosters a "we are family" feeling of belonging.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:11 PM

16,619 posts, read 8,340,018 times
I don't see what the big deal is. If I had two daughters close in age they would absolutely be wearing the same stuff every now and then. It's just easier when you're purchasing it. Often times when you buy different things for young kids there are arguments of hey why did she get that one, I want that one. So it can really just be easier to get the same stuff

I do think it gets cheesy if the whole family is always wearing the same outfits. Moms and daughters do this a lot and it can be cute but I can see where enough is enough sometimes

Old 07-13-2023, 06:25 AM

1,686 posts, read 3,962,121 times
I think it must just be me...

Old 07-13-2023, 06:52 AM

527 posts, read 249,896 times
My sons always dressed alike because my oldest couldn’t care less what he wore, and my youngest wanted to dress exactly like his brother. The arbiter of cool. As teenagers, my youngest does the clothes selection and my oldest hates clothes shopping so he says “Just get me the same as whatever Brother gets.”

Old 07-13-2023, 07:09 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am struggling to see the reasoning behind something. I have no children by choice.

Why do Moms feel the need to dress their children, girls mostly, exactly alike. I have 2 friends who each have 3 girls stairstep in ages and they all wear the exact same outfit. Everywhere! My BFF's daughter has 3 girls 18mos apart and they are dressed identically - down to the oversized bow in their hair.
My nephew's wife took it 1 step further and she matched her 2 girls. White sweater, black pants, black tennies. white top, red pants and black mary janes for Christmas. I don't understand. please advise me??
That's usually done for special events and holidays for picture taking. Heck our whole family (10 of us) had a dressing code for thanksgiving (fall colors, all solids) so we could do family photos.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-13-2023, 07:51 AM

6,893 posts, read 4,908,641 times
When they are young, sometimes kids actually want to dress alike. Otherwise it's usually for pictures. It's not as noticeable when boys are dressed a like. Two little boys in camo, or jeans with green shirts are barely going to register.

What about families and socks? How does that work? Is there a communal sock drawer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting