Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 12:20 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times

Advertisements

https://jonathanhaidt.substack.com/p/the-play-deficit

Quote:
Research, proving what should be obvious, shows that play is a direct source of children’s happiness. When children are asked to depict or describe activities that make them happy, they depict or describe scenes of play. There is also research showing that when children are allowed a little more play—such as when schools offer a little more recess—the kids become happier. Research also reveals that children consider play to be activity that they themselves initiate and control. If an adult is directing it, it’s not play. The joy of play is the joy of freedom from adult control.
If you want your child to be safe outside the house, teach them how to safely cross a road with traffic. You're 90% of the way there after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 03:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
There is something to be said for free time to play, create and imagine.

Children don’t always need to be in sports or structured activities directed by parents.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:57 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post

Children don’t always need to be in sports or structured activities directed by parents.
Mr. Dokie is a child of the 50s. He grew up a couple blocks from his elementary school. During the summer, the neighborhood kids would congregate there and play pick-up baseball all day. He also played in organized baseball leagues. He certainly talks about the schoolyard games more than the more formal games.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
I don’t agree with the author’s premise, and I find the posted summary suspect. They state that free time and free play declined from 1950 to 2020, but don’t cite any evidence or numbers. They then indicate that suicide increased by 350% from 1950 to 2005, and then 250% again from 2005 to 2020. Those are suspicious time frames to arbitrarily choose. The first is a 50-year time span, the second is a 15-year time span. Normalizing the YOY increase indicates a 7% YOY increase during the first time frame, and a whopping 17% YOY increase in the second time frame.
While I might agree that from 1950-2005 there was a major decrease in children’s free time and unstructured play, I don’t agree that there was an even greater decrease from 2005 (well after the advent of the term “helicopter parenting”) to 2020. Therefore, the author’s whole premise: that the primary driver of poor mental health in children is a lack of free play, is negated.

While a lack of unstructured play time could certainly be a contributing factor to poor mental health outcomes, I don’t think it is the primary driver. Without normalizing for factors like education, income level, social media usage, etc, I find the whole article to be worthless.

Anecdotally, I know plenty of other parents who give their children large amounts of unstructured play time, and plenty that schedule their child’s nearly every waking moment. I see no trend in happiness in any of these kids that could be explained by lack or excess of free play.

Since becoming a parent, I have discovered that opinions on child-rearing, dressed up as fact, are like as--excuse me--bellybuttons. Everybody’s got one, and they are pretty much all full of sh--excuse me, lint.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:22 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
I grew up as a latch key kid in the 70's and 80's. I was feral and I loved every minute of it. Learned to take care of myself, cook, clean, do my homework- I was free.

I showed my kids the same freedoms. They both are excelling as adults.

Long live freedom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting