Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:48 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,646,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree, 100%, and that is part of the reason that my wife and I chose not to have children. At the time we married, I had just turned 38, and she was a month shy of 40. One of the things that we had in common, was that our parents were 35 and 33, respectively, when they produced us, so we know what it was like, being the offspring of older parents.

My father, sadly, died at the age of 58, and I had just turned 23, at the time of his passing. It made things somewhat difficult for me, and I vowed to never do that to my children, if I had any. But, as I said, I married late, and couldn't see myself being a father at 40, given the spotty longevity in my family background.....
One of my dear friends was born when her mother was 47. Obviously, this was an unexpected pregnancy. My friend's mother died of breast cancer when she was only 16 years old. It was awful. I'm childless by choice. I just never really wanted them, but it's a tough thing to say what age is right to have kids. You don't want to be too old, but it's terrible we have so many "teen moms" at the other end of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 05:02 AM

6,505 posts, read 3,188,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
......... You don't want to be too old, but it's terrible we have so many "teen moms" at the other end of the spectrum.
You can say THAT again!!!

My wife was a teacher, all of her adult life. She taught 1st grade, for most of that time, and every year, she'd be amazed when "parent teacher conferences" were scheduled. 1st graders, by convention, are 6 years old. In meeting with the "mothers" of these students, my wife used to be shocked to find out that many of them were 22-23 years old. Do the math!!

And they wonder why we have issues within our cities!!

Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 AM

739 posts, read 846,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I'm thinking I will just give them my home and retire into a small apartment
LOL what a nice dad.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:37 AM

16,632 posts, read 8,354,811 times
Energy levels vary from person to person but women tend to feel it more in their mid to late 40s. Menopause is starting to kick in and for some has already happened. Not saying this is the case for everyone but I don't have the energy I used to. I've found my time of the month is worse these days as well. I certainly get a lot of joy out of being a parent but I struggle at times to get motivated for all my kids want me to do. Right now they want me to get in the pool with them and I really don't want to.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:30 AM

1,342 posts, read 869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
LOL what a nice dad.
Not nice , just being realistic

Old 04-26-2024, 07:28 PM

7,399 posts, read 4,182,455 times
Quote:
I'm thinking I will just give them my home and retire into a small apartment
It's too early to make plans and certainly never tell them.

If you have a stroke or dementia, you'll have no choice but to go into assisted living. Like my mother, you may sell your house to pay for assisted living. Many things can happen in the next twenty years which you will not have control over.

Old 04-27-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Not nice , just being realistic
No, you're being generous. Nobody gave my wife and I a house, and we both gave our parents a substantial amount of help, in their older days......

AND, as "yorktown gal" mentioned, your health may deteriorate to the point that an assisted living facility is in your future, and you'll need either cash from whatever savings you have, or the cash value of your home, to fund your existence.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:16 AM

16,632 posts, read 8,354,811 times
If you're giving your kids a house these days you must be doing very well.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:21 AM

1,342 posts, read 869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
No, you're being generous. Nobody gave my wife and I a house, and we both gave our parents a substantial amount of help, in their older days......

AND, as "yorktown gal" mentioned, your health may deteriorate to the point that an assisted living facility is in your future, and you'll need either cash from whatever savings you have, or the cash value of your home, to fund your existence.
I have long term care insurance does that help ?

Old 04-27-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have long term care insurance does that help ?
It may, but there also might be "clauses" that require you to spend out your financial assets down to around $5000, before your benefits kick in. Also, if you're thinking about going the "Medicaid Route", claiming you're broke, they look back 5 years, to see where your assets were allocated/spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting