Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,306,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Right there with you. It's amusing to read posts of childless people who know exactly how to raise kids (from some posts here and on the Relationship forum)

I, too, was a perfect parent before I had kids.

And yes, my kids are 4 and almost 6 now, what a relief.

PS: sorry to the OP that we are expressing joy - I'm afraid back in the days I wouldn't be able to crawl to the computer to type a response...
That's good to hear that it gets easier. With our twins about to turn one, it's much easier than last summer when they were up all night for feeding, but still exhausting. We both work full time, and since my job requires fewer hours, more of the "home stuff" falls on me. I'm up at 5 a.m. and don't get a break until the boys are in bed at 8 p.m. After work I clean, prepare for the next day, do laundry if needed, cook dinner, feed the kids, walk the dog, take the boys for a long walk (I need my exercise, so push them a couple miles in their stroller, which they like), play with the boys, bathe them, then more play time/story time before bed.

We have a nanny during the day while we're both at work, but on days I've taken off and stayed home with them, the level of exhaustion is the same. SAHMs certainly don't have it easy when kids are this age!

Now that it's a year with no break, I keep feeling like I really want a break for a couple days - I just want to go somewhere and be alone! And then I'd surely miss everyone at home, but it might be good for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,871,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
SAHMs certainly don't have it easy when kids are this age!
I think the military came up with the slogan: The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love, from SAHMs.

It is very tough sometimes, who am I kidding, most times being a SAHM/P, there are plenty of times when you feel overwhelmed, exhausted and under apreciated. But to be honest it is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had and I know that when my kids grow up and are on their own they will be responsible, hard working and honest kids who will be ready to face the world. Sure there are days when I wish I could take a long vacation somewhere alone, but I know that if I ever got the chance to do so, I would end up missing my kids terribly and wouldn't have a lot of fun and relaxation.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,973,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Yeah, motherhood is NOT for whimps is it?

I am overwhelmed for many reasons. DH's business fell apart with the economy, that left us in bad shape financially. Now he got a job with great pay - 2 hours away - each way. WITH very long hours. While I'm very happy he got that, I was not expecting to have everything put on my plate along with my FT job. Although - the time issue may be eliminated - I was laid off today. While it will be tougher financially, I will get unemployment and I will have some time to recoup.... I have a feeling finding another job will be harder, but I'm going to see what changes can be made so I can maybe work PT in the future, that may help.

Thanks for all your great advise and support!
Is it possible for you to move closer to where your DH is working and then look for work?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,973,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Every day I start off yelling. I try sooo hard to stop it (and my husband constantly chastises me for it) but just lose it
This cannot be making you feel good. I have a suggestion. Every time you want to yell take a drink of water (just a sip). As you are sipping think about whether yelling is justified at that time. Just taking a second to think about whether it is necessary to yell make cut the yelling WAY WAY down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
A big reason is that I have four girls, ages 2,3,5,7 who wake up every morning and fight over who sits where, calling each other names, making fun of each other's clothes and just plain old bickering. They don't do it to be mean--they do it to annoy each other.
Seriously, does it matter WHY they do it?

How about assigning seats? That should give them less to fight about. You could make the seating thing into a little game. Put 4 different colors of paper into a hat. Take the same 4 colors and tape them onto the chairs. Have the girls pick papers from the hat and whatever color chair they get is "thier" chair. Then you can get them personalized placemats and put them down by their chair.

The rest of it is just the way life is. I suggest getting the sitter for another time and NOT using the time to run errands. Go get your nails done, or just sit in the car and listen to music.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM

841 posts, read 4,846,925 times
"I see some people that want to keep them babies. I couldn't wait until mine grew up. I am really not into helping children dress. I would rather discuss world affairs and ideas."

Yes, yes, yes! I feel the same way, although my kids are just 7 and 5. But I'm such a better mom as they grow older. I really can not stand the baby stage, and the toddler and preschool stages are pushing the limit with me, too. But school age is really fun. And we talk about world issues together with them...prepping them for their preteen and teen years. I, too, would much rather discuss world affairs and ideas.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This cannot be making you feel good. I have a suggestion. Every time you want to yell take a drink of water (just a sip). As you are sipping think about whether yelling is justified at that time. Just taking a second to think about whether it is necessary to yell make cut the yelling WAY WAY down.

Seriously, does it matter WHY they do it?

How about assigning seats? That should give them less to fight about. You could make the seating thing into a little game. Put 4 different colors of paper into a hat. Take the same 4 colors and tape them onto the chairs. Have the girls pick papers from the hat and whatever color chair they get is "thier" chair. Then you can get them personalized placemats and put them down by their chair.

The rest of it is just the way life is. I suggest getting the sitter for another time and NOT using the time to run errands. Go get your nails done, or just sit in the car and listen to music.
Maybe make them sit in separate areas of the house and rotate them each day so they all get a chance to sit at those places and aren't in each other's presence, either. I dunno. I'm glad boys don't do that so much

Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
"I see some people that want to keep them babies. I couldn't wait until mine grew up. I am really not into helping children dress. I would rather discuss world affairs and ideas."

Yes, yes, yes! I feel the same way, although my kids are just 7 and 5. But I'm such a better mom as they grow older. I really can not stand the baby stage, and the toddler and preschool stages are pushing the limit with me, too. But school age is really fun. And we talk about world issues together with them...prepping them for their preteen and teen years. I, too, would much rather discuss world affairs and ideas.
I liked the Kindergarten thru 2nd grade years best. They are still innocent in those years. And its still okay to be silly and not worry about looking goofy.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 13,144 times
I think all of us are suffering..you know my 2 month old boy is way too loud when he cries. It is just too tiring because he always does this at dawn.

Huh...but that's part of parenting...I can't find a nanny here, they are very rare.

But Shay my boss recommended me to this site : nannytoyou.com

It sure helps.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,306,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post

LOL! I compare dressing our babies to trying to paint fan blades while the fan is on!

On the one hand, they can be so sweet at this stage (one year) and love to be held, kissed, cuddled... but I do look forward to actually having converstaions with them and teaching them things bigger than "clapping and waving" someday.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM

756 posts, read 2,223,736 times
This is really changing the thread but I am COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED from taking care of my aging parent and trying to maintain my sanity with taking care of my kids. Watching your parent fade really stinks.......

Can you tell what happens to me when I am exhausted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting