Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,650,020 times

Advertisements

My son is allergic to the DTaP shot. He is twelve and going into the 7th grade. They are now requiring an adult dose of the DTaP shot before entering 7th grade. As a toddler he got a high fever and had a seizure after having the shot. They decided when he needed the shot before entering kindergarten that they would take out the Pertussis (whooping cough) portion of the vaccine as that would probably be what would cause the allergic reaction. His little arm swelled up HUGE (we jokingly called him "buff man"!) and he got the fever again! I was more aware that there could be a reaction, so I was able to lower the fever before it got too bad, and his doctor ended up putting him on Prednisone to calm down the reaction.

I called his doctor a few days ago to ask his opinion on what I shoud do about the upcoming DTaP shot and was not really given an opinion in either direction. His words were "I would not blame you if you didn't want to do this" and "It is really a hard call". There is no way of knowing what type of reaction he may have, it could be nothing - it could be major.

I plan to do more research on this before making a decision. At this point I think I am leaning towards not giving the vaccine. If I knew he would just get a fever that I could control, it probably would not be that big of a deal, but the fact that no one is really confirming that it is no big deal has me a little scared! I am sure they are in a bad spot, because they don't want to recommend getting the vaccine and have something bad happen to him, but they don't want to say not to get it either. I just wanted to see if anyone out there had any input or opinions on this......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
My twins had seizures after birth and have never received the pertussis portion of the vaccine. They are now 14and since there is a medical reason for not having that part of the shot I have no issues with the schools over that. It is a difficult decision but these types of cases is WHY they stress for everyone that can get vaccinated so those that CAN'T aren't exposed.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Check with the school and find out what the procedure is for medical exceptions for vaccines. I'd be surprised if they didn't have one.

This is going back many years but I never got the smallpox vaccine due to my own childhood health issues and medically supported evidence at the time. It wasn't a problem for my parents or me.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,013,443 times
Well since its a repeat of vaccines he has already had, you should take him to the doctor and ask that a titer test be done for the vaccines that he supposedly needs. It will show whether or not he is already sufficiently immune to those things.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My twins had seizures after birth and have never received the pertussis portion of the vaccine. They are now 14and since there is a medical reason for not having that part of the shot I have no issues with the schools over that. It is a difficult decision but these types of cases is WHY they stress for everyone that can get vaccinated so those that CAN'T aren't exposed.
Thanks for your input! The whole seizure thing is pretty scary isn't it! What you said makes alot of sense. I would also think that if the doctor felt that is was extremely important for him to have it, he would have pushed for it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Check with the school and find out what the procedure is for medical exceptions for vaccines. I'd be surprised if they didn't have one.

This is going back many years but I never got the smallpox vaccine due to my own childhood health issues and medically supported evidence at the time. It wasn't a problem for my parents or me.
Thanks!! I am sure the school has a medical release form, or something of the sort. Like I said in the comment to golfgal's post, I would think that the doctor would have pushed it if he felt the benefits outweighed the possible risk in this situation. I think I will check with the school on the form, and at least not give the vaccine at this time.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM

904 posts, read 2,876,059 times
Call your local school district and talk to them. I am sure that with a doctor's note stating the reactions your child has had and the potential that it could happen again, they will have some way of getting around it. If I were you I wouldn't vaccinate again.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM

751 posts, read 2,483,021 times
This should not be a problem due to medical documentation. You should just have to sign a form that states if anyone in the school is reported to have the illness, you will not send your son to school until their is no longer any evidence of the illness.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
My oldest daughter (now 26) had an exception to the Measles vaccine due to allergies, her youngest brother has an exception due to a reaction to the same vaccine the OP is talking about. There are exceptions allowed due to medical reasons.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will definitely check with the school and opt out of having him get the vaccine. It is nice to get other opinions when you just aren't sure about something!!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,944,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! I will definitely check with the school and opt out of having him get the vaccine. It is nice to get other opinions when you just aren't sure about something!!
My son had a similar issue but with the whooping cough portion. My doc gave him a medical exemption letter and I never had any issues with it.

For the record, given your son's previous reactions, I would not even consider giving him another Dt vaccination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting