Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,619 times

Advertisements

Hi. I hope there's someone here who can give me the info I need. My daughters, 15 and 14 live in Vegas with their dad. He is going through a deep depression since the company he worked for went broke. He managed to get a new job, but he is there illegaly, (although my daughters are american citizens), and the new company won't give him his paycheck. They are about to get evicted, and they are out of money to even buy groceries. He is drinking non-stop and putting all the burden on the children. They tell me he has beaten them and he constantly threatens them when he is drunk. He steals their stuff to buy more beer. I don't know how can I help them, because I'm just as broke, and I live all the way in Mexico, I'm mexican and have no visa. I don't think they will want to come live with me, because they will have to drop out of school and become losers. They have never accused him because they are afraid they will be put in foster homes and they'll get separated, since there aren't any relatives. Does anyone here knows of a place who can advise me on how to help them? I really don't know what to do, specially being tied up so far away. Thanks in advance for listening...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:50 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,993,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Hi. I hope there's someone here who can give me the info I need. My daughters, 15 and 14 live in Vegas with their dad. He is going through a deep depression since the company he worked for went broke. He managed to get a new job, but he is there illegaly, (although my daughters are american citizens), and the new company won't give him his paycheck. They are about to get evicted, and they are out of money to even buy groceries. He is drinking non-stop and putting all the burden on the children. They tell me he has beaten them and he constantly threatens them when he is drunk. He steals their stuff to buy more beer. I don't know how can I help them, because I'm just as broke, and I live all the way in Mexico, I'm mexican and have no visa. I don't think they will want to come live with me, because they will have to drop out of school and become losers. They have never accused him because they are afraid they will be put in foster homes and they'll get separated, since there aren't any relatives. Does anyone here knows of a place who can advise me on how to help them? I really don't know what to do, specially being tied up so far away. Thanks in advance for listening...
Look up Clark County's Child Protection Services in the government pages and see if they will take the two girls away from him due to the domestic situation. At least there they can continue school and live safely.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Look up Clark County's Child Protection Services in the government pages and see if they will take the two girls away from him due to the domestic situation. At least there they can continue school and live safely.
I suggest that your daughters call the local Safe Place program. Although it is administered by an agency that serves homeless youth, they provide assistance to any teen in a crisis situation and their services are confidential.

Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth
4800 S. Maryland Parkway, Suite E
Las Vegas, NV 89119 Tel: (702) 383-1332
Fax: (702) 313-0216
Web Site: http://www.nphy.org

Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Thank you very much to the both of you for the advice. I will talk to them to let them know their choices.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,710,987 times
Have you looked in to Safe houses for DOmestic Voilence victims - even though you are not there - you might want to call them and see what they can do

INFO - And Hotline:24 Hour Hotline: (702) 564-3227

S.A.F.E. House was established in 1994 by a group of community leaders concerned about the needs of battered women and their children. Today, through safe shelter, support, advocacy, counseling and community education, the organization provides a comprehensive approach to working with families to Stop Abuse in the Family Environment.

Mission: S.A.F.E. House is stopping violence and abuse in the family environment by providing safe shelter, support, advocacy, counseling and education.

Goals: S.A.F.E. House will provide quality crisis intervention, shelter and counseling services to domestic violence victims and their children and accredited treatment services for those who choose to abuse.
S.A.F.E. House will provide comprehensive advocacy services to victims of domestic violence and abuse and follow up and transitional resources and support.

S.A.F.E. House will be the leader in domestic violence education and prevention; raising the awareness of the seriousness and devastating effects of family abuse and violence; promote women’s strengths, competencies and abilities; holding batterers accountable for their violent and abusive behavior; and advocating for community involvement and social change.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks, City Girl. I will make sure to look into S.A.F.E. too.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 PM

675 posts, read 2,686,434 times
I don't have any better advice to give you than what the previous posters have mentioned. As a mother, my heart goes out to you.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,805 times
As the mother of a 17-year-old daughter, I, too, feel for you -- I am so sorry this is happening to your family.

The reality is, though, that foster care may end up being the outcome of these programs -- so be prepared for that. Is there a family there that the girls are friends with who would be willing to "foster" them, or with whom they could stay?

Also, have them talk to the school counselor or principal, too. At 14 and 15, they may well end up in foster care, but hopefully there would be a family who would take them both (I have a friend in New York whose parents died when she was seven and a foster family took both her and her sister who was 9 into their home and they lived there until they graduated high school).

You also write very good English, and with your children being citizens, what are the options for them to bring you to the U.S.?

Nevada Association of Latin Americans: http://nala-lv.org/About.htm (broken link)
This link might give you a contact with people familiar with the Hispanic community in Las Vegas.

Good luck to you!!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,060,984 times
You are getting a lot of good advice here, Noir.

I would urge to you IMMEDIATELY call the Clark County Child Protective Services if you know your children are being abused by their father. They will investigate ...believe me.

When you call, they will probably ask you the names, address, ages, and birth dates of the children and also where their dad works. They will also ask you exactly what type of abuse or neglect is happening so be well prepared to document exactly what your daughters are describing is happening to them.

They will guide and councel you on what steps will be taken. If you have no relatives or friends in the Las Vegas area, they will be your adocate on what steps you should be taking at that point.

As Wisteria has said, you write very good English. But just in case you might be hesitant in calling CPS because of any anticipated communication problems, be assured that they have plenty of Spanish speaking employees there.

PLEASE, do not let this go on any longer if you suspect abuse.

The CPS hotline for reporting abuse and neglect is: 702-399-0081

Keep posting if you have any further questions or concerns. Let us know what's happening.

--'rocco

edit: I just realized, Noir, that you said that the girl's dad is here in this country illegally. Perhaps what Wisteria suggested may be less threatening for you. They can advise you on what step are best in your situation. Whatever the case, again, please act quickly.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-24-2007 at 10:05 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 AM

Thank you all for your kind help and your good wishes. In fact, I am married to an american citizen, and I belive my chances of going back to the US are very good, so I will look into that option, too. I stay in touch with my daughters constantly, and they tell me they do have friends who are willing to help, however, I feel it's better to do things right, but I also have to respect what they choose to do. All of your advice has helped us get a better view of what options do they have. Again, many, many thanks to all of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting