Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,153,242 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing your experience irishmom. That's something I might have done too in that situation but now that I've learned better ......thankyou!!
I do have a question though: what about like one night once in a blue moon? you know if you have movie night in bed or something? and what about them falling asleep in mom and dad's bed but then moving them to their own?
Please all you more experienced parents out there don't laugh at my naivete!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 02:22 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,835,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience irishmom. That's something I might have done too in that situation but now that I've learned better ......thankyou!!
I do have a question though: what about like one night once in a blue moon? you know if you have movie night in bed or something? and what about them falling asleep in mom and dad's bed but then moving them to their own?
Please all you more experienced parents out there don't laugh at my naivete!
That's happened where he's fallen asleep watching something on the couch, my bed or occasionally the dog (don't ask. ) and we have always moved him and had no problems with that. He doesn't usually remember falling asleep not in his bed.

But then again that was before this new phase we seem to be in, so I don't know if that will change too. Maybe some one else has experience with that?

Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM

560 posts, read 2,193,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
That's happened where he's fallen asleep watching something on the couch, my bed or occasionally the dog (don't ask. ) and we have always moved him and had no problems with that. He doesn't usually remember falling asleep not in his bed.

But then again that was before this new phase we seem to be in, so I don't know if that will change too. Maybe some one else has experience with that?
We have started giving up the battle and letting the 4 year old fall asleep in our bed and then moving her. I know better but honestly most nights I am just to tired to deal with it. My middle child used to have "sleep with mommy night" which was Thursdays. My oh so understanding husband would sleep in her bed on these nights. This lasted about a year, now they only come in once in a while, mostly Friday nights if we watch a movie together.

We are moving this weekend to a new house which has the kids bedrooms upstairs and our bedroom is on the main floor. I am thinking that if my 4 year old has to navigate down the stairs and through the house she might just stay in her bed????

Trust me, I know that this is TOTALY 100% my fault and I am kind of complaining tounge in cheek. I do know that many parents really have an issue with this but I kind of look at it like potty training, how many 5 year olds do you see getting on the bus with diapers?? In the whole big scheme of things if your child being in your bed is the worst problem you ever have to deal with then life is pretty darn good!!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 PM

341 posts, read 1,489,903 times
I was a meanie mom. He slept in his bed in his room...period! If he was sick I used a monitor. If he was UP sick all night we cuddled on the couch. My bf on the otherhand has allowed both of her girls to sleep with them. What a nightmare. They all play musical beds allllllllllll night long. Even the parents wind up sneaking off to the kids bed to catch some Zzzzzzz's! The oldest is now 11 and youngest is 8. I'm sorry but dang! My bed! Your bed! End of story!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:30 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,169,477 times
I was also unwilling to share my marital bed. I can't remember my son ever really sleeping with us. Maybe once or twice. Started from the day he was born in his own room. When we had movie nights, it would be in the living room (we would all pass out there). Only 1 time, when my husband was out of town, did we watch a movie in my bed. By that time he was 5 or 6 and ended up going into his own bed in the middle of the night.
I had heard horror stories while I was pregnant and took the advice seriously.
I have known many people who have made this mistake. It is very easy to do, and hard not to invite them in.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,836,355 times
We let the boys sleep in our bed only and only if they are sick. Dh usually moves to their bed then.

dorothy

Old 04-29-2007, 08:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,220,397 times
I guess I am lucky when my husband goes off on a business trip I let my youngest (now 7) sleep in the bed with me "to protect me" but when dad comes home he just goes right into his own bed.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,177,469 times
Mine has never wanted to be in her own room, even as a baby, she had colic, and then went straight into teething, talk about no sleep, so I brought her into bed with us.
Well I finally got her sleeping in her own room at the age of 10, but then someone broke her bedroom window one night, and that was the end of sleeping alone. Her and I now sleep together, it is not a problem for me, as my husband and I will be divorced soon, and not because of her by any means.
I guess after being raised in an abusive home, and delt with as much as I have, to me it is better that my daughter feels secure, instead of having a mom tell her to get over it. I don't know if that is right or wrong but it works for us.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,835,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Mine has never wanted to be in her own room, even as a baby, she had colic, and then went straight into teething, talk about no sleep, so I brought her into bed with us.
Well I finally got her sleeping in her own room at the age of 10, but then someone broke her bedroom window one night, and that was the end of sleeping alone. Her and I now sleep together, it is not a problem for me, as my husband and I will be divorced soon, and not because of her by any means.
I guess after being raised in an abusive home, and delt with as much as I have, to me it is better that my daughter feels secure, instead of having a mom tell her to get over it. I don't know if that is right or wrong but it works for us.
Well even if she hadn't been sleeping in your bed the broken window thing probably would have put her there! Totally understand that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting