Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:13 PM

246 posts, read 1,248,040 times

Advertisements

We'll be leaving for NC the second week of September (driving cross-country) with our 3 year old...just wondering if there are any parents out there that have relocated with small children and what is the best way to help them adjust to all the changes (new home, new school, no grandparents). We've been talking to him about all the cool stuff we're going to do when we move and about being able to have the beach near by and going to Carowinds and just on weekend mini-vacations but need other suggestions. I'm nervous about the transition and if we will be hurting him by taking him away from everything he's used to (even though the move is going to be a better opportunity for our family as a whole). Thank you for the advice/suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Grl
We'll be leaving for NC the second week of September (driving cross-country) with our 3 year old...just wondering if there are any parents out there that have relocated with small children and what is the best way to help them adjust to all the changes (new home, new school, no grandparents). We've been talking to him about all the cool stuff we're going to do when we move and about being able to have the beach near by and going to Carowinds and just on weekend mini-vacations but need other suggestions. I'm nervous about the transition and if we will be hurting him by taking him away from everything he's used to (even though the move is going to be a better opportunity for our family as a whole). Thank you for the advice/suggestions!

I mentioned this before so sorry for some of you that read this over again...but I went online and printed anything and everything I could find on the internet that I thought they would be interested in (Carowinds, Lazy 5 Ranch, Horseback Riding, Discovery Place,..you name it I printed it)....I made a book out of it...then its his/theirs...he can look back through it when he wants (as often as he wants)...sometimes the sites I printed there would be a kids section where you can print out coloring pages, games, etc...great for travel time) .

Vegas Grl...my money will be on your son...that he will adapt and make friends faster than you will.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-04-2006, 07:03 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
I agree with LoveTheCarolinas...

The kids will most likely adapt quicker than we will. They will be sad in the beginning, but as they make new friends and get used to their new surroundings they'll be fine (as long as mom and/or dad is fine too).

I remember moving from Queens,NY to Miami,FL in 1980. It was sad for me, it was my whole world. But looking back it was THE BEST thing that ever happened. Sunshine year round, a great big backyard, and a neighborhood filled with families and kids.

So I think he'll be okay!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:18 AM

27 posts, read 138,211 times
Anyone have any thoughts about moving with teenagers?

We have a 15 year old son, and an almost 17 year old daughter.

We're moving this summer. They aren't thrilled, but it's not their choice.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM

396 posts, read 972,359 times
I don't think you will have too much of a problem with a 3 y/o. He is still very young and very adaptable.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:21 AM

396 posts, read 972,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk21 View Post

We are moving in June. I also have a 15 y/o who originally was very excited about moving when we started this journey about a year ago. Now he doesn't want to go. I think lot of it is the anxiety of the unknown and having to start over making new friends. I am hopeful that he will adjust easily. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM

157 posts, read 828,616 times
Hi All,

We are moving across country with our four and seven year old kids this summer and here is what we have tried to do to help with the adjustment -- not that we have any illusions that it won't be hard when the time comes!

So far we've taken two trips to where we are moving, and we spent time at their new schools and meeting the neighbors. Our seven year-old has two pen pals in our new neighborhood, and our four year old had a few play dates with neighbor kids when we were there. On our first trip we did the really fun stuff, but on the second we did day-to-day stuff (play dates, trips to the schools and markets etc) and it seemed to be the day-to-day stuff that helped the most. Now the kids have gone from "no way, we don't want to go" to feeling pretty positive about it most of the time. Of course, we haven't left yet so we don't really know if any of this helped LOL.

Good luck to all of you

Old 04-20-2007, 07:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
I have a daughter going on 3 years old and a son that's 10 months. We moved from Nevada to Florida. Kids are really resiliant. It didn't seem to bother her a bit. She just had a different place to play. I didn't find any abnormal behavior or anything.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
Quote:

that would be hard is there a way that you could wait until the 17 yr old graduates especially if she has been in the same school for several years I know we moved b4 my senior year and I was very depressed that I didnt get to graduate with my friends

Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:

We moved our then-16 year old boy a year and a half ago. (Our older son was out of the house and thus out of that loop.)

We moved from Denver to a tiny rural northwest Florida town.
Our move was well-researched but still unsettling: we went from a large city with many amenities and the Rockies, to a small beach town with rudimentary healthcare, no mall, no movie theater, few cultural activities.
I am pretty sure that if the kid had been a senior, I would have stayed in Denver with him and let him graduate with his class.
But he wasn't. He was a junior, and so off he went with us, none too happy about it. But I agree with you, it's not his choice. We're the adults, we make the decisions.
His junior year was not easy. Soccer really salvaged his situation; he had a bunch of built-in buddies, all really nice kids. The structure of showing up for practice/games was immensely helpful, it filled what could have been a lot of holes in this tiny town.
This year has been absolutely wonderful for him, he positively shined, and now he will be off to college. (Now we're moving again--long story--but he will be at college so has a move of his own to make.)

Being uprooted as a teenager is much more complicated than relocating a preschool aged kid. A three year old doesn't need much more of a support system than his or her parents.
Teens have the angst of being a teenager, and their network of friends means a lot to them.
I moved from New York to Colorado as a 14 year old. It was not easy, but I survived. Joining clubs/activities can help a lot, but if you are not a joiner, it can be rough going. Kids are indeed resilient, though.
And each year brings something new, and the maturity and life experience that come with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting