Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,507 times

Advertisements

Hi i'd like to ask the people living in florida, or who have previously spent alot of time in florida for their advice. My wife and I and two friends are looking to move to florida. We are all from Minnesota. We each have our reasons for wanting to leave MN, and reasons for wanting to come to Florida.

We're all in our mid 20's. I'm going to school to be a teacher, and would like a city with educational opportunities. My wife is estabolished in Restaurant Management. My friend is in construction, and my wife's friend is a registered nurse looking to get his BSN. Any thoughts?

One thing we all are wanting to escape is the absolute brutal winters of MN, but are worried about the summer heat and mostly humidity? How are florida summers? do they vary from one part of the state or the other?

Also we'd like a Little cultural diversity as I'm White, my wife is latino, and our two friends are East indian and african american. Yes, it probably looks strange to alot of people, but have been friends for many years.

However, we are all Conservative and prefer not to live in a overly progressive/liberal área.

Were are going to be looking to rent a 3 beedroom house and looking for relatively low cost of living.

A good job market would be very important, and see florida is right to work state but have heard wages in florida can be low? any comments?

Some area's were thinking about are: Pensacola, Tallahassee, Gainseville, Tampa, SW florida, or the Miami área?

Pro's and Con's would be greatly appreciated and What you would recommend for our situation. Thanks in Advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
We've lived many years in Central Florida, and have now living in the Panhandle (Destin) for 2-3 years. We're here for family/grandkids and do not regret the move in that sense. But, were it not for that, I would move back to C. Fla (Satellite Beach) in a heartbeat. The key differences for me are:
1). Panhandle is really So. Alabama in terms of weather. C. Fla. averages 15-20-degrees warmer in the winter (Yes, it gets very cold in Destin for several months), yet about the same temperatures in the summer.
2). The traffic here is horrific, but, that is more Destin than Pensacola, although it is heavier there also.
3). Most things are tourist, rather than family-oriented; again, maybe that's more Destin than Pensacola -- There's not much to do apart from 'touristy stuff' and a large part of the local population only lives in this area for part of the year.
4). Otherwise, for us (retired), replacing friends/acquaintances and community connections is much more difficult at this age -- than during the working, child-rearing years.

In all fairness, my wife and I just spent the last week driving through C/So. Florida and found the traffic and 'tourist' issues the same everywhere during 'snowbird season.' The biggest deal for us is the weather difference. We've been spoiled by 40+ years of 'outdoors-type weather' for 10-11 months per year and are no longer interested in 4-5 month 'winters.' --- I'm sure that sounds whiny to folks in Minnesota, but, we also spent years in the 'frozen north' --- If you are going to move to Florida and are not tied to the Panhandle, consider the weather in Central Florida (However, you will still love the Panhandle ... for a few years).

Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
I would recommend Tallahassee. Its the state capital and has Florida State University, Tallahassee Community College, Florida Agricultural and Medical University, and other smaller colleges.

The city is beautiful and diverse.

It is 45 minutes from the beach, and has beautiful parks and outdoor recreation.

Its growing quickly and developing some nice in town urban districts near the colleges.

Florida Wages can be lower, but no state income tax helps even things out.

Once you come to Tallahassee, its hard to leave, such great people, great food, just an incredible city.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
I think Central Florida has much higher heat/humidity than here on the Emerald Coast. I know that jghorton clarified the point, but the low in Destin was 26. That ain't cold. I've done Orlando and Tampa/St Pete in August. Miserable.

Traffic here can be a nightmare. I say that as Spring Break is cranking up.

TG* represents Tallahassee ;-) . It's a great city, but it does have some issues. Also, what beach is 45 minutes from Tallahassee?

Finally, to the OP. Visit!! It's the only way you can choose.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
TD*

Alligator point, and bald point state park.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loewen06 View Post
Hi i'd like to ask the people living in florida, or who have previously spent alot of time in florida for their advice. My wife and I and two friends are looking to move to florida. We are all from Minnesota. We each have our reasons for wanting to leave MN, and reasons for wanting to come to Florida.

We're all in our mid 20's. I'm going to school to be a teacher, and would like a city with educational opportunities. My wife is estabolished in Restaurant Management. My friend is in construction, and my wife's friend is a registered nurse looking to get his BSN. Any thoughts?

One thing we all are wanting to escape is the absolute brutal winters of MN, but are worried about the summer heat and mostly humidity? How are florida summers? do they vary from one part of the state or the other?

Also we'd like a Little cultural diversity as I'm White, my wife is latino, and our two friends are East indian and african american. Yes, it probably looks strange to alot of people, but have been friends for many years.

However, we are all Conservative and prefer not to live in a overly progressive/liberal área.

Were are going to be looking to rent a 3 beedroom house and looking for relatively low cost of living.

A good job market would be very important, and see florida is right to work state but have heard wages in florida can be low? any comments?

Some area's were thinking about are: Pensacola, Tallahassee, Gainseville, Tampa, SW florida, or the Miami área?

Pro's and Con's would be greatly appreciated and What you would recommend for our situation. Thanks in Advance.
You seem to have a lot of contradictions in requirements so lets go point by point:

1) Summer heat & humidity : It's Florida so it will be hot & humid with daily afternoon thunderstorms. The heat and humidity are more tolerable the closer you are to the coast. The winters are nice though.

2)Cultural diversity : Florida is a diverse state but it depends where you live. The major metros are diverse for the most part with central & southeast Florida being the most diverse.

3) Cost of living / Rent : You did not state how much you were willing to pay for a 3 bedroom house or what is expensive as far as cost of living. The most expensive area is SE Florida. The closer you live to the coast the more expensive rent will be.

4) Conservative vs. Liberal : The Miami & Orlando areas are the most liberal in the state. Conservative would be Jacksonville and most of the panhandle which we jokingly refer to as 'lower Alabama".

5) Wages : Can be low compared to other states & that all depends on the occupation. There is no personal Income tax in the state. State sales tax is 6% but that varies from county to county.

Other considerations is transferring your autos since the fees can be very high for new car registrations. Also take into account that you are moving into a state that has 4 times the population of MN with millions of tourists to boot. The Miami metro alone has more people than the entire state you currently live in so congestion might be a issue for you.
As others have suggested come visit first and good luck.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 16,507 times
Thank You everyone so far. Say we narrowed it down to suburban Tampa and Pensacola. looking for a vibrant job market and looking to say pay 800-900 for rent for a 3 bedroom house. Congestion and tourist though not too important would be something to avoid for the most part. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM
TD*

Vibrant job market you wont find in Pensacola...

Looks like Tampa, but Like i said, your missing it out before even knowing... I would travel and see a few cities to know how they feel.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
TD* is right. Travel and visit. (Except neither of those beaches are worth a darn.)

Make sure you don't visit Tallahassee on a game weekend. ;-)

EDIT: Tampa has way more to offer than anything in the panhandle. By a long shot.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 AM

10 posts, read 57,955 times
Tampa or Jacksonville (Orange Park area) would likely be your best bet. Rent will be better in Orange Park, and they pretty well tie on job opportunities (although Jacksonville's sheer size plays favor of finding work). As far as Traffic Congestion, Tampa is seasonally bumpered, but only in the touristy areas. Jacksonville traffic is pretty much constant garbage on and around the Saint John's river (which divides the two halves of the city), ESPECIALLY around 7am and 5pm. But even so, traffic still flows at a fairly reasonable pace, unless there's a wreck or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola