Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:01 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this in the Mobile, Alabama forum, but considering the proximity of Pensacola / Perdido area to Orange Beach and Ono Island, I thought I should post here as well.

My wife and I, now empty nesters in our early 50s, are contemplating moving to Ono Island from Atlanta. We would very much appreciate any opinions about the pros and cons of living there and / or the Orange Beach area in general. Clearly, we are not worried about schools (except, perhaps, for eventual resell purposes, but that would be 20+ years down the road). We are retired, so commuting is not an issue for us.

Many thanks, in advance, for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Ono Island has a reputation for being a bit snooty towards outsiders and very strict like an HOA. The area is beautiful though. Orange Beach itself does not have that reputation (Note: Ono Island is outside the city limits).

Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 AM

132 posts, read 181,419 times
Very envious of you Ansley! Love Orange Beach! Also, up here in Atlanta and so ready to get away from this madhouse! Unfortunately still have a few more years before retirement.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Ono Island has a reputation for being a bit snooty towards outsiders and very strict like an HOA. The area is beautiful though. Orange Beach itself does not have that reputation (Note: Ono Island is outside the city limits).
Thanks, FSUMike! I'm accustomed to a strict HOA, but sorry to hear about snootiness. Don't like that, so maybe our presence would help tone it down!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore133 View Post
Very envious of you Ansley! Love Orange Beach! Also, up here in Atlanta and so ready to get away from this madhouse! Unfortunately still have a few more years before retirement.
We can't wait, jmoore133! While I love Atlanta, I've just run out of patience to endure it any longer. We'll look forward to meeting you when you move down one of these years!!!

Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Why not look at Dauphin Island? It’s much more relaxed.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why not look at Dauphin Island? It’s much more relaxed.
Isn't Dauphin a bit difficult to get to? I was under the impression that it was accessible only by ferry. Am I wrong? Thanks!!!

Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
There's a bridge to Dauphin Island. The down side is that a fair amount of the island is very prone to coastal erosion and storm surge. Even with the slightly higher and wider parts of the island, I wouldn't but a primary residence there- a modest beach cottage that you're willing to lose in the next hurricane because the land underneath it is gone is more appropriate for conditions

Old 03-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's a bridge to Dauphin Island. The down side is that a fair amount of the island is very prone to coastal erosion and storm surge. Even with the slightly higher and wider parts of the island, I wouldn't but a primary residence there- a modest beach cottage that you're willing to lose in the next hurricane because the land underneath it is gone is more appropriate for conditions
Thanks, beachmouse!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,118 times
Hi AnsleyPark,
Checking in to see if you moved to OB, and whether you decided to buy on Ono? We’ve been visiting family in OB for many years, and we are considering a move from ATL to OB. If you moved to OB, do you mind sharing your experiences of adjusting to a small town lifestyle? If you bought on Ono, does the HOA require homeowners to seek approval to build a pool, add an outdoor living space, and/or paint your house? Any other information or insights you would like to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola