Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 PM

259 posts, read 554,993 times

Advertisements

I've been to my local Publix's, Winn Dixie and a few other stores in the Panhandle area looking for decent and reasonably priced produce. I don't even mind paying double what I paid where I use to live, if it actually looked fresh and edible...

Am I missing something? Do people really not eat fresh produce here? Is it the economy or is it because of the Air Force and Navy bases have the commissary? or due to the fact that it's a tourist area? I'm stumped and I'd like some choices other than frozen.

Tomorrow we are heading to Niceville farmers market, but seriously who wants to drive an hour one way for provisions..Even in Alaska I didn't have to go that far.

Thanks in advance for some input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:21 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,408,354 times
Bailey's Produce and market
4301 N Davis Hwy

Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,340,015 times
Bailey's is great. Also check out Everman's and Flora Bama Farms. Pensacola has a Farmer's Market downtown as well.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:15 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,324,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
I've been to my local Publix's, Winn Dixie and a few other stores in the Panhandle area looking for decent and reasonably priced produce. I don't even mind paying double what I paid where I use to live, if it actually looked fresh and edible...

Am I missing something? Do people really not eat fresh produce here? Is it the economy or is it because of the Air Force and Navy bases have the commissary? or due to the fact that it's a tourist area? I'm stumped and I'd like some choices other than frozen.

Tomorrow we are heading to Niceville farmers market, but seriously who wants to drive an hour one way for provisions..Even in Alaska I didn't have to go that far.

Thanks in advance for some input!!
Supermarkets do not have fresh produce?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,884,047 times
They farm cotton, peanuts, timber, and rockets in these parts rather than local produce. (At least the local seafood is great) I probably have the best luck in Destin among the Publix there (they turn over stock quickly enough it doesn’t go bad) The Fresh Market, and Whole Foods.

Do keep in mind that it’s too hot in the summertime to grow much around here so it has to be trucked in from afar and picked underripe with that in mind. You will find better strawberries, tomatos, and the like in February than in summer months because they’re grown closer then instead of getting brought in from the north

Old 06-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Supermarkets do not have fresh produce?

Well let's just say that fresh is relative..about to go bad has been my experience so far.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:36 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,408,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
Well let's just say that fresh is relative..about to go bad has been my experience so far.
We always used the Publix East on Nine Mile Road and their produce was pretty good. The one going on West Nine Mile Road was no quite as good. Shop around.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
They farm cotton, peanuts, timber, and rockets in these parts rather than local produce. (At least the local seafood is great) I probably have the best luck in Destin among the Publix there (they turn over stock quickly enough it doesn’t go bad) The Fresh Market, and Whole Foods.

Do keep in mind that it’s too hot in the summertime to grow much around here so it has to be trucked in from afar and picked underripe with that in mind. You will find better strawberries, tomatos, and the like in February than in summer months because they’re grown closer then instead of getting brought in from the north
There are certain foods that are locally grown and abundant here... like peas, beans, okra, squash, eggplant, greens, watermelon, and even corn. Of course these are typical Southern foods most people born and raised here are accustomed to eating.

Many folks in my area buy from Steve’s Farm.

Main

Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 PM

753 posts, read 844,626 times
I trust Bailey's and Ever'man the most for produce. And the Palafox Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There are certain foods that are locally grown and abundant here... like peas, beans, okra, squash, eggplant, greens, watermelon, and even corn. Of course these are typical Southern foods most people born and raised here are accustomed to eating.

Many folks in my area buy from Steve’s Farm.

Main
Well, considering I was raised in the surrounding area and remember very distinctly all the great little farm stands when I was a kid..you know, older than rope. Sadly, the majority of the food you’ve listed cause pain in this old body...so I rarely eat them anymore.

I’ll have to checkout Steve’s. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola