Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,075 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all - my apologies if this can easily fall into another thread but I just wanted to get an idea about commute times in the Pensacola and the general vibe of the area. I'm likely taking a job in Milton area but have decided (being 27 and generally into having walkability around my home) living in Pensacola is preferrable. Have already identified a few places in the East Hill and possibly Sanders Beach area that I like. I'm a south Mississippian by way of Mobile so I'm not moving far and have spent time in the area. I'm a big history and geography nerd so I think Pensacola can provide for me on that front although I'll miss Mobile (although it's barely a "move" given the proximity and I can go back any weekend). I love the Gulf Coast in its entirety and in spite of its faults so I think I'm likely immune to some of the negative commentary I've seen on Pensacola so far.

My basic gut feeling on Pensacola is that while it probably lacks some in way of an urban fabric compared to Mobile, it makes up for it with beach proximity/outdoor activities? Would y'all agree with this? It's definitely not a slight on Pensacola and I know the area is rich in history and has a cool/interesting downtown (just like every town on the I 10 corridor from New Orleans to Pensacola). I guess I've just always been tempted to compare Mobile and Pensacola but after revisiting Pensacola the past couple weeks there are some differences that I'm having a hard time putting my fingers on.

Also - do y'all think my idea to commute from Pensacola to Milton sounds bad? I would think I'd be going against traffic so it may not be terrible. Overall I think I'd rather have the option to walk from my home > bar > restaurant etc than be forced to drive into Pensacola for those things every single time.

Sorry if this post wasn't very well articulated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
IMO, there is a difference between Southern small metros proper and the 'Southern Lite' you get in the FL Panhandle small metros. Southern Lite is more live and let live, a little more diverse, a little less hierarchical, and something more of a willingness to experiment in the name of progress. And this being Florida, a lot more people who didn't grow up there and who don't necessarily plan on sticking around there the rest of their lives.

I do like the downtown/East Hill areas and think the city doesn't realize how many other places would love to have that kind of historic downtown with great restaurant and entertainment options for a town that size. It's come a long way over the past 10-15 years while maintaining its own personality.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks! I think I see what you're saying - that even though it's only 20 miles from Alabama that just the nature of Florida is to be more transient? Which sounds like it's good in that it makes things less hierarchical but maybe subtracts from sense of place some? Which might be that subtle different feeling I get compared to the MS Gulf Coast or Mobile. As I'm moving to the area myself I can't really complain about a transient culture, although being from the region I do like some air of community.

I used to work in Baldwin County which seemed to be becoming increasingly transient. I hate to complain about that but it was beginning to feel like folks just wanted to fly down from Iowa to spend the winter and didn't really want to contribute to the local community. That's painting with a wide brush I know but it was sometimes the case. Just hoping Pensacola has some sense of community and isn't purely transient.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times
The transient nature of Pensacola is mostly due to the Navy base.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Makes sense to me. Nothing wrong with that- I've just been trying to put my finger on how Pensacola differs from Mobile, MS Coast, etc. Seems like that there's some historical similarities between all the towns along I10 but Pensacola was just a tad different. Regardless glad to be able to at least stay in the region and looking forward to fall on the beach!

Been really surprised by how expensive Pensacola is relative to Mobile. Guessing it's a mix of Air Bnb and just less housing stock. Staying vigilant for somewhere in East hill, north hill, or Sanders beach.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 AM

Been researching Sanders Beach. Anyone know anything about the old Creosote Plant or the effects it's had in the area? It's an EPA superfund site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola