Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 06:53 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Please forgive this California girl's naivete. I went to the Gulf Islands National Seashore last weekend, specifically the dog beach there. I was shocked at how high and forceful the waves were. There are major riptides there, so much so that it is required to keep your dog on leash. No kidding. No way would I let my dogs play in those waves.

Southern California riptides are nothing compared to what I saw. It was rough out there. They were numerous and very visible. California riptides are much more surreptitious. That's why so many people get caught in them.

I've always thought that the Gulf of Mexico was pretty mild when it comes to waves. I know it's still winter, but there wasn't a storm when I was there. What is the usual deal with waves in the Gulf and does it vary from place to place? Like, if I went down to Tampa (where they have some good dog beaches) or somewhere else, would the waves be calmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 08:15 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Please forgive this California girl's naivete. I went to the Gulf Islands National Seashore last weekend, specifically the dog beach there. I was shocked at how high and forceful the waves were. There are major riptides there, so much so that it is required to keep your dog on leash. No kidding. No way would I let my dogs play in those waves.

Southern California riptides are nothing compared to what I saw. It was rough out there. They were numerous and very visible. California riptides are much more surreptitious. That's why so many people get caught in them.

I've always thought that the Gulf of Mexico was pretty mild when it comes to waves. I know it's still winter, but there wasn't a storm when I was there. What is the usual deal with waves in the Gulf and does it vary from place to place? Like, if I went down to Tampa (where they have some good dog beaches) or somewhere else, would the waves be calmer?
Some days are rough, some days are flat...waves never get really big, as in consistently big enough to surf like California, but rip tides can be rough. Winter can be rough, but it does vary along the coast.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:22 PM

283 posts, read 290,356 times
Winter systems (cold fronts) and tropical systems (trop. storms or hurricanes) can rough up gulf beaches and it will have rip currents.

Usually if the weather is not impacted by the above, then it's calm

Old 03-05-2022, 04:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
The Gulf is small and shallow enough that a bad storm near Cancun can cause waves in Florida. And repeated tropical systems can reshape the nearshore topography so the peaks and valleys in underwater sand will help create conditions that are more favorable for rip current development. The long timers will say that rip currents used to be a lot milder before Hurricane Opal changed the local near shore sea conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola