Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 09:34 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,682 times

Advertisements

We are considering going to 30A (Rosemary Beach, Seaside, etc) during the first week of April, which is spring break for most of the metro counties. We have been to Destin and Miramar Beach in the past, and want to try something different.

But I'm hearing from a neighbor that 30A during ATL spring break is over-run with partying teenagers. They said it's basically large groups of teens with perhaps a couple of adult chaperones. Also, they said it can be 1-2 hour waits at restaurants.

Our kids are elementary school age, so obviously not looking for a party scene. We do eat early dinners (around 5pm), so might be able to avoid peak restaurant times. But it doesn't sound ideal to be surrounded by hundreds of drunk teens.

What is your experience? Here is an article I found about it last year:

https://www.wjhg.com/2022/03/19/spri...ouble-seaside/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 12:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
Teens drink on Spring Break. Its Spring Break. 30A is very crowded that week. Not sure it will be MTV Panama City Spring Break from the 90s, but it is just down the street.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:40 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Teens drink on Spring Break. Its Spring Break. 30A is very crowded that week. Not sure it will be MTV Panama City Spring Break from the 90s, but it is just down the street.
I believe this comment to be correct. I haven't been during this week. I'd imagine there is a considerable difference between say a Navarre, and Panama City. I also think a beach is big enough that you can somewhat isolate yourself from any party crowds.

What I'm trying to say is, I think city and accommodations matter......

Old 01-03-2023, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
The above comments are correct regarding 30A during Spring Break. I split my time between Atlanta and South Walton ("30A"). The article linked touches on some of the issues, but sugarcoats them. Restaurants are crazy busy those weeks in March/April, and vacation rental rates are equal to or exceed Summer rates. Keep in mind it's not just Atlanta Spring Breakers who head down, it's a big chunk of the larger Southeastern cities + Texas. 30A doesn't attract the college crowds like Destin and PCB do; it's the teens/highschoolers with limited chaperones that cause issues. The epicenter is Seaside/Seagrove. The kids are dropped off or just end up congregating there, many drink to excess underage, and can get into trouble after dark. Walton County actually parks a mobile/trailer "jail" on the square as a show of force. As much as I love Seaside, it's not family-friendly that time of year.
If you stick to the western end of 30A (Dune Allen, Gulf Place, Blue Mountain, etc.) things will be quieter.
May not align with school schedules, but late April/early May are terrific times to visit the area, and the weather can be more reliably warm than March/early April. And you don't pay the Spring Break rates.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
It varies a lot. Most folks there are families that want a quiet place for a vacation.

However there has long been a problem with parents renting beach houses for their college age kids, in order to get around rules that short term rentals are age 25 and up, and then the kids turning the house into a vey loud and very messy party zone. I’ve also heard the story many times of rich parents offering large cash sums to vacation homeowners knowing their kids will trash the place with a ‘do you want some money to refresh your furniture and other home decor?’

And while those things are not common, they’re also not great if you discover that kind of party nearby your own rental and there’s no way of knowing it.

The big condo towers in Destin, Okaloosa Island, and Navarre Beach actually seem to have fewer problems- I guess too many people close together and loud parties get stopped by the cops before they really begin.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:38 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,682 times
Thank you for the info all. I guess it may be better to do our 30A trip during fall break (mid-October). It sounds like we'd have cheaper rents, lower restaurant wait times, and fewer partying teens.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:28 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Thank you for the info all. I guess it may be better to do our 30A trip during fall break (mid-October). It sounds like we'd have cheaper rents, lower restaurant wait times, and fewer partying teens.
This is the best time to go to the area in my opinion. The weather is perfect. It is quieter.

That said, I would not shy away from this time of year. Sure there are teenagres, but also many families with elementary aged kids etc.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:44 AM

278 posts, read 1,109,217 times
We've been probably 9 or 10 times in the last 15 years at spring break with little ones that are now in high school. We always avoided staying Seaside/Watercolor/Rosemary Beach side of 30a...its a hot mess of busy...but...the west side of 30a, Santa Rosa Beach, Blue Mountain Beach, etc. The area around 30a and 393 is much quieter. And you can still drive down to Watercolor or Seaside for an afternoon.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
This is the best time to go to the area in my opinion. The weather is perfect. It is quieter.
No! Don’t let the secret get out about October on the Northern Gulf Coast!

Old 01-05-2023, 11:09 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,088 times
We live in the area and spend lots of time around Rosemary etc. My daughter worked at Seaside before heading to college and Spring break has become the most crowded time of year. During the summer it's families etc during spring break it's family plus all their friends and large groups of college kids! Image parties of 12 for dinner - with 10 very spoiled kids!

It has also become an epicenter for the local kids to party. So add the spring breakers with local kids just partying it's become a nightmare, with one road to get from one party to another. As the local full-time population has grown in the area, so have the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola