Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 01:41 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I think Fairhope may be exactly what you're looking for. Check it out. It beats anything the FL panhandle has to offer.
I agree that Fairhope is a very nice area. We lived in Cantonment and shopped in that area on a regular basis.
OP, I miss Pensacola and would enjoy moving back -- good shopping, healthcare and beaches. Good fishing too.
We now live in the Maryville, Tn area and visit the panhandle every February.
Someone recommended Niceville and I agree it is nicely located and that area has tons of shopping, dining and attractions.
I would suggest taking a week or two and visit all three (Fairhope, Pensacola, and Niceville) spending at least 2 days in each locale. Check out the shopping, dining, hospitals, beaches and real estate.
If you do check out Pensacola eat at Grand Marlin once, go to Joe Patti's fish market and check out the Blue Wahoo's ball park. Maybe eat at Pegleg Pete's and check out the boardwalk shops at Pensacola beach. While you're there drive through Fort Pickens.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 01:54 PM

125 posts, read 197,786 times
Thx to all responding. Such sage and informed info from qualified observers….it is so helpful to read your comments. I will keep plugging away. It sounds like Panama City is a bit rough around the edges, FWB/Destin may be too slow (or noisy) depending on the location and Pensacola may be the best bet for Florida Panhandle. We will be searching Fairhope/Daphne/Spanish Fort in Alabama
just to see what comes up, too! Many thx and feel free to continue this thread because this is a common question for those of us wanting to move to the area.

Old 06-07-2023, 01:57 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
We are from the Mobile area, our daughter lives in Panama City Beach, and cousin in Navarre, so are very familiar with all these areas. Honestly, not a fan of any of them. Pensacola is very military and the west side is very run down. Destin/Navarre is very touristy and the roads can’t accommodate all the traffic. Overrun with military and ex-military. Other than the beaches, no reason to live there. Panama City is the most run down of all, but Panama City Beach is very nice. Very nice retail here. Tons of traffic though. I absolutely would select none of these. Fairhope is a possibility, but it has been found. Traffic can be a problem here as well, but it would be my choice. Hurricane risk in this part of the country is a real problem, so unless you’re willing to run from hurricanes about every other year, and potentially suffer significant house damage, I’d rule out all of these places.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:24 PM

125 posts, read 197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We are from the Mobile area, our daughter lives in Panama City Beach, and cousin in Navarre, so are very familiar with all these areas. Honestly, not a fan of any of them. Pensacola is very military and the west side is very run down. Destin/Navarre is very touristy and the roads can’t accommodate all the traffic. Overrun with military and ex-military. Other than the beaches, no reason to live there. Panama City is the most run down of all, but Panama City Beach is very nice. Very nice retail here. Tons of traffic though. I absolutely would select none of these. Fairhope is a possibility, but it has been found. Traffic can be a problem here as well, but it would be my choice. Hurricane risk in this part of the country is a real problem, so unless you’re willing to run from hurricanes about every other year, and potentially suffer significant house damage, I’d rule out all of these places.

Great, honest response…you might have scared us straight…straight to Tennessee!

Old 06-07-2023, 09:37 PM

314 posts, read 554,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Do you have to be near the coast? Have you considered Tallahassee? It checks your boxes much better than Pensacola, FWB, or PC.
I am in the same boat as the OP, looking for a place in northern Florida that ticks off the boxes. One of the downsides I noticed about Tallahassee is that their airport seems to pale in comparison to that of Pensacola airport.

Tallahassee airport only has direct flights to seven destinations and doesn't have Southwest, my airline of choice.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

But we do have the noise from both the AF base and the EOD training facility. Lots of bombs going off...literally.
Though I’ll note that the Air Force is generally usually pretty good at only blowing stuff up during normal business hours. (I’m serious. I’m also serious about the vibrations we get from that and how I was so glad when Cf light bulbs came along because the bombing plays havoc with more fragile incandescent light bulb filaments)

The night aircraft noise we get tends to usually be civilian commercial aircraft when they’re landing east-west at the airport instead of using the north-south runway like they usually do. (VPS is a joint use airport where the county government gets X number of runway slots a year from Eglin AFB and then has their own civilian commercial air terminal on the far west side of the runways)

The problem with a lot of Santa Rosa/Okaloosa/Walton Counties is that the vast majority of land where people most want to live south of I-10 is government land (DOD, other federal, state forest, etc.) And an increasing amount of the land in privately held hands is built out at this point even as more and more people move to that area.

So you get higher home costs because of land scarcity compared to other metro areas of similar demographics even before you get into the popularity of short term rental units and vacation homes taking more homes out of the long term residency side of things. And yeah, short term rentals have been A Thing since somewhere in the 1980s along the beach but they’re encroaching more and more inland all the time. I’m hearing about Air BnBs even popping up north of the Mid-Bay Bridge this summer.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:25 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though I’ll note that the Air Force is generally usually pretty good at only blowing stuff up during normal business hours. (I’m serious. I’m also serious about the vibrations we get from that and how I was so glad when Cf light bulbs came along because the bombing plays havoc with more fragile incandescent light bulb filaments)

The night aircraft noise we get tends to usually be civilian commercial aircraft when they’re landing east-west at the airport instead of using the north-south runway like they usually do. (VPS is a joint use airport where the county government gets X number of runway slots a year from Eglin AFB and then has their own civilian commercial air terminal on the far west side of the runways)

The problem with a lot of Santa Rosa/Okaloosa/Walton Counties is that the vast majority of land where people most want to live south of I-10 is government land (DOD, other federal, state forest, etc.) And an increasing amount of the land in privately held hands is built out at this point even as more and more people move to that area.

So you get higher home costs because of land scarcity compared to other metro areas of similar demographics even before you get into the popularity of short term rental units and vacation homes taking more homes out of the long term residency side of things. And yeah, short term rentals have been A Thing since somewhere in the 1980s along the beach but they’re encroaching more and more inland all the time. I’m hearing about Air BnBs even popping up north of the Mid-Bay Bridge this summer.
Yes, constant, loud vibrations in the Navarre area, as well. Just horrible..

Old 06-08-2023, 08:50 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, you might consider southern Georgia just across the state line in Valdosta. It's 90 minutes from Tallahassee but has pretty much all of the amenities you're looking for in-town with real estate prices 2/3 of those in the Panhandle minus the flood threat and most of the hurricane issues. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22%3A%7B%7D%7D

Old 06-08-2023, 03:25 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola