Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,923 times

Advertisements

Hi. My wife and I are looking to retire near Pensacola 'cause daughter and her family are there, Milton looks nice, but since my wife is Chinese I certainly don't want her to face any racism. What's it like there? Any opinions or experiences would be helpful, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Asian faces and mixed race couples are fairly common in the Panhandle because of military marriages. The racism, such that it is, tends to be of the 'all Asians look the same' variety, and will be people assuming she is a Thai, Filipino, or Korean military bride instead of Chinese.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
Looking for moving fits week of June for pen sacola area,I prefer living close from century my husband win working in the correctional jail,looking for small home,nice area with good high school,16 years girl,what is the best area close for living ,I am social,so I do t wat to living so fr the city,thanks a lot I love dancing a lot. I working with special need kids,thanks a lot,from california,
aca

l

ip

Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana4747 View Post
Looking for moving fits week of June for pen sacola area,I prefer living close from century my husband win working in the correctional jail,looking for small home,nice area with good high school,16 years girl,what is the best area close for living ,I am social,so I do t wat to living so fr the city,thanks a lot I love dancing a lot. I working with special need kids,thanks a lot,from california,
aca

l

ip
Century is a terrible little town, very poor with run down houses and high crime. Kids there would attend Northview HS which is about 12 miles away in the 'Bratt' community. This area is about 40 minutes from Pensacola, so there's not much to do.

Flomaton, AL just across the state line is probably a better alternative. Nearest shopping and medical would be in Brewton.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times
I moved to Jay, FL after spending years living in Chicago and Madison, WI. I can tell you I love the peace and quiet but hate the overall racism of the entire Santa Rosa County area. Milton is such a cute little town, as is Jay but they do not welcome "different." To them different is anyone who does not look, think and vote just like they do. Jay which is the step-sister to Milton proudly boasts that until recently they had signs at both ends of town stating "do not let the sun go down on you in city limits if you are black." This weekend in Milton/Pace are I saw more confederate flags than I could count. I do not know that this overwhelming element of racism would be directed at your wife or not, but I would not chance it. Any town that BOASTS that it will tolerate "others" as long as they know their place, is not somewhere I would want to live and raise a family. If we had not bought and invested heavily in our home before we ran smack into the county belief system we would move. I only thank God that we are not raising children here. I actually heard a young man compare Obama Care to Hitler's Reign of terror and when I said something to him, he actually asked if I was going to put a Jewish money curse on him. I don't even know what that means and while I would be proud if we were, we are not Jewish. Ugly towns, ugly views raising children to think the same.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana4747 View Post
aca

l

ip
What?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraz21 View Post
I moved to Jay, FL after spending years living in Chicago and Madison, WI. I can tell you I love the peace and quiet but hate the overall racism of the entire Santa Rosa County area. Milton is such a cute little town, as is Jay but they do not welcome "different." To them different is anyone who does not look, think and vote just like they do. Jay which is the step-sister to Milton proudly boasts that until recently they had signs at both ends of town stating "do not let the sun go down on you in city limits if you are black." This weekend in Milton/Pace are I saw more confederate flags than I could count. I do not know that this overwhelming element of racism would be directed at your wife or not, but I would not chance it. Any town that BOASTS that it will tolerate "others" as long as they know their place, is not somewhere I would want to live and raise a family. If we had not bought and invested heavily in our home before we ran smack into the county belief system we would move. I only thank God that we are not raising children here. I actually heard a young man compare Obama Care to Hitler's Reign of terror and when I said something to him, he actually asked if I was going to put a Jewish money curse on him. I don't even know what that means and while I would be proud if we were, we are not Jewish. Ugly towns, ugly views raising children to think the same.
Wow, I can't imagine the culture shock going from Chicago to Jay, FL . I have lived in Atmore and Brewton all of my life and I don't think even I could handle living in Jay. I'm sure all of those Confederate flags you're seeing is in protest over its removal from public places. The "good ole boys" are pretty upset about it around here.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 PM

123 posts, read 333,837 times
I lived in central Illinois for almost forty years before retiring to Florida. When we came here our realtor who happens to be a native from Pensacola recommended Pace to us. We live about 8 miles north of Pace and where we live is very quiet and laid back. There are times when we can sit on the patio out back and the only thing you hear besides the birds and the tree frogs is the occasional inbound plane heading for Pensacola or a helicopter on a training mission. In our subdivision we have many people of different races, creeds and national origin and I've never seen any evidence of intolerance anywhere in the subdivision or anywhere in the Pace area. Besides being far enough out that we're outside of a hurricane evacuation zone we like it here because if we want quiet we have it and if we want more action we can go into Pensacola. One factor you mentioned was shopping and in Pace you'll have Target and Walmart but if you want a store like Belk, Dillard's or Kohl's there only about 20-25 minutes away vs. a reasonably long drive from Jay and Century. Even where we are if you need a loaf of bread it's still a ways to go to get what you need fast. I'm afraid that if you're from Chicago then moving way out would be way too much of a culture shock for you. Just my opinion of course :>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola