Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,762,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Probably because they hate Philly sports fans. But anyway back on topic!!
So true haha..

Back on topic indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,940,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
In 10 years Philadelphians will comment "where did all the retirees come from?"

People who don't need to retire "someplace warm" will increasingly choose Philly.
My partner and I might be two of those retirees. When are y'all gonna get gay marriage?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,762,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
My partner and I might be two of those retirees. When are y'all gonna get gay marriage?
Not sure... sure it will happen eventually. Philly is really accepting of same sex couples. There are three "gayborhoods" in the city now. One in Center City (Washington Square West) and two in South Philly (East Passyunk Crossing and Newbold).

Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,160,735 times
Quote:
Just move to Collingswood. NJ has had civil unions for a while and within a year or two of Christie being out they'll have full marriage.

Once you get 30 miles outside of Philly the rest of PA is just too socially conservative.

How Gay-Friendly Is Collingswood? | The Philly Post

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,309,042 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Not sure... sure it will happen eventually. Philly is really accepting of same sex couples. There are three "gayborhoods" in the city now. One in Center City (Washington Square West) and two in South Philly (East Passyunk Crossing and Newbold).
My partner and I retired here from Houston last year. You really don't need to live in the gay neighborhoods to feel comfortable, unless you want to. Philly is a very accepting city.

As for same gender marriage, Philly lives with the burden of being in PA, and the non-urban central areas of the state are pretty conservative. Because of the political influence of those areas, PA's recognition of same gender relationships is not on the horizon any time soon. That said, I would be willing to bet that such recognition will come to PA long before it does to either SC or Texas.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,906,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Oh please. Give me a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendel View Post
Over the course of the last several years I have visited and spent several weekends a year in Philly. I have used mass transit and have driven in. I am a New Yorker.

At no time at night walking the streets of Philly did I feel safe, this includes Center City. During the day in Center City panhandling, drug trafficking , huge police presence and a bad feel hung everywhere. Large stores have active ,ever present , security guards , some stores had full time police cars parked outside in addition to private security. When driving through north Philly I found it hard to believe I was in the USA . Abandoned graffiti riddled buildings everywhere with the wind lifting garbage and litter into the air; Filthy streets and lots full of debris. Roving gangs at night in Center City assaulting tourists inside restaurants and their cars. The national guard will be required soon. Good luck on the future of Philly, no law, little order , magnificent murder rate, national champion in 2011 in murder per capita. No leadership from Mayor Nutter on crime tolerance. I hope mayor Nutter hasn't lost the phone number of the national guard along with all the common sense he seems to have misplaced. NY was going this way until Giuliani cleaned up the mess.

Uh huh........ With only 1 post outta two, THIS poster from NY ( Finds the Philly Forum). There's forums for New York and 49 other states plus City vs City but they find this one right off the top. Hmmmm...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,129,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Uh huh........ With only 1 post outta two, THIS poster from NY ( Finds the Philly Forum). There's forums for New York and 49 other states plus City vs City but they find this one right off the top. Hmmmm...
Why was I included there? I was expressing disdain for that post?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 PM

6,962 posts, read 20,595,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
My partner and I retired here from Houston last year. You really don't need to live in the gay neighborhoods to feel comfortable, unless you want to. Philly is a very accepting city.

As for same gender marriage, Philly lives with the burden of being in PA, and the non-urban central areas of the state are pretty conservative. Because of the political influence of those areas, PA's recognition of same gender relationships is not on the horizon any time soon. That said, I would be willing to bet that such recognition will come to PA long before it does to either SC or Texas.

i agree, philly (and pitt) are progressive but the state of PA

100 yrs behind the curve

Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 PM

78 posts, read 164,462 times
Personally, I think Philadelphia in 10 years will depend on a lot of factors:

1. The economy. When I was a kid, my parents bought a nice home for HALF my dad's salary...now, to buy a home you have to pay at least double...even triple often times. If the income doesn't catch up with the asking price of homes there will be less home ownership, more renters, less stability (or investment in the community). Also, jobs, healthcare, our welfare population, etc...are issues to consider. We have a huge welfare population in this city...we have to figure it out.

2. How Philadelphia deals with their issues of Public Schooling and City Safety. Most of my friends are having children...raising them until about 4yrs old in the city, and then either moving into the burbs to get a good public school education or paying for private school here. Even if you pay 10K in property tax in the burbs...if you have 2 kids, it's still cheaper than private school for 2 kids in the city. We have to solve this.

While I don't agree with the New Yorker's portrayal of our city (talk about extreme!), no one can deny that we have a crime issue. They are not dramatic in every area of the city, but it's a stain on our city & bringing in talent. When we have open air drug markets that are featured in the city paper and still they are allowed to exist, we have to take a hard look at it. Our murder rate is out of control. That doesn't do much to attract people. It would be good to have politicians that are serious about cleaning this place up.

3. Stop the Brain Drain. The highest educated in Philadelphia most often leave the city because there are better opportunities elsewhere - it's because we are not a great city for small businesses and start-ups. Our tax laws are prohibitive to innovation & small business. There is a reason that small businesses are 'cash only' and it's so they can just make a living. Speaking of tax laws...we'll see what they do with property taxes as well.

4. Areas of the city that will come up are those touched by development and those that are accessible to Center City - Point Breeze, the Delaware Riverfront (Fishtown and the bordering parts of Port Richmond)...and I think Old Kensington will definitely come up. I actually think that Richmond Avenue will come up in Port Richmond because the trolley will be reinstated and goes to NoLibs/Fishtown...and the Riverfront will be developed more to include bike paths, etc... Certain areas will remain the same (Old City, Rittenhouse, Chestnut Hill, W. Mt. Airy, Manayunk). I personally think NoLibs is peaking...but it's meteoric rise was pretty impressive. Developers can have a huge effect wherever they choose to go.

Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia