Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Talking to older people growing up there, they paint a much different picture of Philly. What were the city like back then. I was told NE was very upscale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Talking to older people growing up there, they paint a much different picture of Philly. What were the city like back then. I was told NE was very upscale.
Upscale from the perspective of working/middle class people seeking new, detached (or semi-detached) single-family homes in relatively spread out neighborhoods in place of old, crowded, ultra-dense blocks filled with rowhouses. At its "peak," the Northeast inhabitants were predominantly in the solid middle class range, with smaller, but still significant upper working (and to a lesser extent) upper middle class minorities. The Northeast was certainly once nicer and more desirable as a whole, but it was never Chestnut Hill.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
absolutely.. The NE was known as the "Great Northeast" .. for good reason. It was a spotless, crime free area filled with hard working families.. Now all that has changed..

Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
.. Now all that has changed..
why would that come as a surprise? All those "hard working families" moved to the suburbs 15 years ago.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
why would that come as a surprise? All those "hard working families" moved to the suburbs 15 years ago.

yup for sure..

Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Solid, middle/working class, for sure. But I would not characterize "The Great Northeast" even at its postwar peak as ever having been "very upscale".

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
I can somewhat remember Center City in the late 50's/early 60's as being pretty grim except for the area right around Rittenhouse square. Broad and Chestnut was the center of the CBD but most of CC looked the way the area north of the convention center looks today. Society hill was just starting to be cleaned up and there were large tracts of empty land where buildings had been demolihed. The skyline consisted of the PSFS building and City Hall looming over the midrise office buildings on Walnut and Chestnut while west Market looked like a skid row. There were a lot of movie theaters there. Market East was very old and shabby although the street was lined with department stores and was very crowded. I mostly remember a place that was old, dirty and run down but someplace we would come from the suburbs to eat in a fancy resturant and see a 1st run movie. I also remember North Philly was mostly white but still as shabby as it is today. West Philly was also white and a reasonably nice area. Northeast around the Gimbles on Cottman seemed very new in spite of the row houses. I was never in the far northeast, had no reason to go there.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
absolutely.. The NE was known as the "Great Northeast" .. for good reason. It was a spotless, crime free area filled with hard working families.. Now all that has changed..
Frank, the Northeast is still majority middle or working class... just because some neighborhoods down around North Philadelphia went downhill doesn't mean the ENTIRE Northeast is now terrible. I have friends in Somerton and visit them often. It is EXTREMELY peaceful. As for the future of the Northeast? Who knows?... but urban areas change all the time. The Northeast needs to change something to start attracting the young Millennials.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Is the Frankford section considered Northeast? I had to be there a few years ago and some homes looked very stately but run down. Must have been nice at one time.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Is the Frankford section considered Northeast? I had to be there a few years ago and some homes looked very stately but run down. Must have been nice at one time.
Yes... it is the most southern portion of the Northeast... closest to North Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia