Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan393 View Post
I do not first, second or third any of the response's. Crime is spreading. The 7-11 and Wawa stores, bars, etc are all being robbed and the patrons being assaulted. I lived in Philadelphia for 55 years in what used to be a safe area and left when I heard that a neighbors girlfriend was almost kidnapped. One year after I left, there was a shooting a block away from my former residence. Now there are shootings in areas close to my former residence that was unheard of 35 years ago.
Take a look at the Philadelphia newscasts and you will see that someone got shot or died every day. The city fathers should re-name it "Killphiladelphia".
I now reside in Levittown, Pa. (much safer then Philadelphia) in an apartment complex. Rents for a one bedroom apartment run about 850.00 to 900.00 with plenty of outside parking. However, there is a charge if you have a pet. Transportation is terrible; so you need a car to get around.
LOL!!! This is a total load of bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When I first moved to University City (I live 1/2 block from Clark Park) nearly 15 years ago there were bars on the first floor windows of my house. The place is so much safer and cleaner than it was back then.
I can vouch for this. In the late 90s, I went to Temple and one of my childhood friends went to Penn so I know Univ. City really well. I stayed at the Hilton on 36th and Walnut a couple years ago (discounts are awesome) and... this was not the same strip of Walnut Street I remembered in college.

And I still love NE Philly. Cottman rules.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
LOL!!! This is a total load of bs.
Sometimes I find old people like this to be REALLY embarrassing. I'm way older than most of you, and I may post things about the past, but I'm not stuck there mentally. At least I try not to be.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 PM

24 posts, read 18,647 times
If you listen to Becca8377, You will be sorry you moved into Philadelphia. Like I mentioned, I live there for 55 years and now there is a middle class flight out of that city. When I was a child and a teenager, starting in the 40's thru the 60"s, Philadelphia was a great place to raise a family. But that all changed gradually starting sometime in the late 80's.
The city use to have 6500 Policeman in 1969 and about 3000 fireman. Both are now at one third less because of budget cuts. And why were there budget cuts one may ask; because the smart taxpayers including business's did not like what they saw coming, aka crime and vandalism. So those who could afford to pay their taxes made the right choice and moved out. So to make up for this, the city started to cut back on all city departments.
One last thing; Parents are now walking their children to and from school. You have now been warned.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 PM

236 posts, read 319,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sometimes I find old people like this to be REALLY embarrassing. I'm way older than most of you, and I may post things about the past, but I'm not stuck there mentally. At least I try not to be.
I just have to wonder why these types of posters even visit city-data. Is it only to relive their past life? They certainly hate the city, why waste time talking about it? Seems like a pretty sad existence.

Hopefully the OP will listen to people who actually LIVE in Philly, not someone who hasn't visited in the past decade.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
I just have to wonder why these types of posters even visit city-data. Is it only to relive their past life? They certainly hate the city, why waste time talking about it? Seems like a pretty sad existence.

Hopefully the OP will listen to people who actually LIVE in Philly, not someone who hasn't visited in the past decade.
Interestingly, I'm about the same age as that poster. And although I post about some older things and enjoy history, I don't live in the past and never conclude that the past was better because, in many instances, it wasn't.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
If you listen to Becca8377, You will be sorry you moved into Philadelphia. Like I mentioned, I live there for 55 years and now there is a middle class flight out of that city. When I was a child and a teenager, starting in the 40's thru the 60"s, Philadelphia was a great place to raise a family. But that all changed gradually starting sometime in the late 80's.
The city use to have 6500 Policeman in 1969 and about 3000 fireman. Both are now at one third less because of budget cuts. And why were there budget cuts one may ask; because the smart taxpayers including business's did not like what they saw coming, aka crime and vandalism. So those who could afford to pay their taxes made the right choice and moved out. So to make up for this, the city started to cut back on all city departments.
One last thing; Parents are now walking their children to and from school. You have now been warned.
There's a whole new kind of Philadelphian now. One, I'm guessing, you wouldn't recognize because they have priorities that don't match your own. They're young. Motivated. Creative. And don't give a rat's behind what happened nearly 50 years ago.

What's interesting here is that we are about the same age; I will be 66 this Fall. But we have nothing in common.

And the city doesn't need as many firemen because there are less fires. It's not just about budgets.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
Quote:
It's really impossible for me to take any of this seriously. How on earth does any of your nonsense apply to a late 20s couple with no children that want to utilize public transit IN THE CITY.

People move to the city all the time. I moved here less than two years ago and not only have I had no issues with safety whatsoever, but I also highly enjoy living here. Talking about "when I was a child in the 1940s..." Are you really serious right now? Still a complete load of BS. Any regulars on this forum can easily agree not to take a word you said seriously.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
It's really impossible for me to take any of this seriously. How on earth does any of your nonsense apply to a late 20s couple with no children that want to utilize public transit IN THE CITY.

People move to the city all the time. I moved here less than two years ago and not only have I had no issues with safety whatsoever, but I also highly enjoy living here. Talking about "when I was a child in the 1940s..." Are you really serious right now? Still a complete load of BS. Any regulars on this forum can easily agree not to take a word you said seriously.
Just to add on. There are lots of older Philadelphians who, thank God, don't think the way that poster does.

And, whoever it is, conveniently forgets about racial conflicts in Grays Ferry, Folcroft(DelCo), wrt Girard College(there 's a big reason why Cecil B. Moore has a street named after him) and Levitown did EVERYTHING to keep black people from moving there. Yep, the "good old days" of the Philly metro were absolutely great!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 AM

24 posts, read 18,647 times
For everyone's information, I lived in philly up to August 2010. For the last 10 years that I lived there, I seen great neighborhoods go down the toilet. Area's like Port Richmond, Frankford, Wissinoming and Tacony. If all think so highly of Philadelphia, then you better be renting because real estate is losing value.
The above area's use to be solid working class neighborhoods and it appears only artist's and professionals might some area's attractive like Manayunk. I do not see this neighborhood mentioned much, when it comes to crime. I think the Mayor lives nearby. Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia