Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I sometimes tell people this if they have this choice: LM HS, in Ardmore, is about 10 years old, and is a magnificent facility. Haverford Twp HS, in Havertown, will be 60 years old next year and there is probably zero effort to create a new school.
I know LM is the richest and the best, but for whatever reason it irritates me when people with children ask which is the best district Y or Z, when both are among the best in the state!

If you graduate in the top 5% at Lower Merion HS, Penncrest HS, Garnet Valley HS, Springfield HS, Sun Valley HS, Ridley HS, Great Valley HS, etc. etc. You are going to do just fine.

I totally understand wanting a quality education for your kids, but you literally cannot go wrong with 90% of the public school districts in SEPA, so people need to place more emphasis on the area as a whole: which area you connect with, what you can afford, what activities/ opportunities you want available for your kids or family, rather than just saying I want the best district.

Not calling out the OP, just 75% of parents these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:05 PM

222 posts, read 196,257 times
Quote:
I sometimes tell people this if they have this choice: LM HS, in Ardmore, is about 10 years old, and is a magnificent facility. Haverford Twp HS, in Havertown, will be 60 years old next year and there is probably zero effort to create a new school.
Haverford is not in need of a new building. Their high school is in good condition and was built in the 1950’s. Lower merion township does spend more tax money on their public schools but the original lower merion high school building was very old (about 100 years old) by the time they built the new LM.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Haverford is not in need of a new building. Their high school is in good condition and was built in the 1950’s. The original Lower Merion High School was about 100 years old by the time they built the new one to replace it. (And they had the tax money to do it but that’s beside the point).

Last edited by Mdez; 03-29-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 11:42 AM

273 posts, read 206,875 times
Quote:
Yeah...lol

Did you actually go to Haverford Twp schools?

You may remember that I did along with a bunch of my family members including my mother and her siblings. Anyhow for us it was a mixed bag. For me, except for the music program, it was a meh experience. For others it was fine.
Do you think it's changed at all since you attended 50 years ago?

Old 04-02-2018, 02:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Haverford is not in need of a new building. Their high school is in good condition and was built in the 1950’s. Lower merion township does spend more tax money on their public schools but the original lower merion high school building was very old (about 100 years old) by the time they built the new LM.
It opened in 1956. I went there. Class of 1967. It was crappy then. A ton of my family went to HTSD schools over a big chunk of the 20th century. The last relative of mine who graduated from the high school did so less than 10 years ago. So, I know about it fairly well.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Do you think it's changed at all since you attended 50 years ago?
My mother went there as did her two siblings. My sister went there. I went there. Three first cousins of mine went there. Two additional cousins went there the youngest of whom is 25. So I think I know something about the twp and schools as a whole so big ole back at you.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It opened in 1956. I went there. Class of 1967. It was crappy then. A ton of my family went to HTSD schools over a big chunk of the 20th century. The last relative of mine who graduated from the high school did so less than 10 years ago. So, I know about it fairly well.
There is nothing wrong with Haverford. The school is in pretty good condition so I don't know what you mean by "crappy". The building underwent major renovations during the late 1990's/early 2000's. I also know a couple of people who graduated from there less than 10 years ago and they said it was just fine. Haverford regularly ranks as one of the top public schools in the area and Delaware county, a very high percentage of the students attend college after graduation and some even to Ivy Leagues. Is it Lower Merion, Harriton, or Radnor? No, but it's far superior to other schools in DelCo such as Chester, Upper Darby, Academy Park, Pennwood, etc.

Education is what you make of it. Haverford is a good school.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
There is nothing wrong with Haverford. The school is in pretty good condition so I don't know what you mean by "crappy". The building underwent major renovations during the late 1990's/early 2000's. I also know a couple of people who graduated from there less than 10 years ago and they said it was just fine. Haverford regularly ranks as one of the top public schools in the area and Delaware county, a very high percentage of the students attend college after graduation and some even to Ivy Leagues. Is it Lower Merion, Harriton, or Radnor? No, but it's far superior to other schools in DelCo such as Chester, Upper Darby, Academy Park, Pennwood, etc.

Education is what you make of it. Haverford is a good school.
Look, this " debate" is silly. I told you about my familial history and, yes, I do agree that kids can get adequately educated in those schools.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Look, this " debate" is silly. I told you about my familial history and, yes, I do agree that kids can get adequately educated in those schools.
There was never any debate to be had. You were the one speaking poorly of Haverford, familial history aside, when it fact it’s not a bad school at all by any means.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:40 PM

11 posts, read 22,245 times
LMSD is better,no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia